Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have decided that I will purchase a GSM Treo 650, now the debate is how I go about acquiring one.

I am currently a Vodafone customer and have had no problems at all with the service, customer support, etc. If Vodafone were to offer the Treo line-up (pay monthly), I would not hesitate and would get one.

So, the way I figure it, I really have the following options:

1. Expansys on Vodafone
    2. Unlocked on Vodafone
    3. Unlocked on Orange
    3. Wait for Orange

Option 1:

I know that I can get one from Expansys on Vodafone, but the handset would then be unsupported by the network, and I wouldn't be able to take out phone insurance (or would I?).

Option 2: Unlocked on Vodafone

I went to the Vodafone shop on and confirmed that if I show up with an unlocked handset, they would let me use it. No problem. I can use my existing number. Once again, no phone insurance.

Option 3: Unlocked on Orange

According to the "Phone Trainer", I can use an unlocked Treo on the Orange network, but I would have to subscribe to Pay-As-You-Go and again, no phone insurance.

Option 4: Wait for Orange

The Phone Trainer told me that they should have them "very soon", he even mentioned that they had received the promotional material, but not the handsets. This option would get me a network-supported phone and phone insurance, at the expense of changing my number and network.

The dilemma....

The guy at Orange gave me some off the record advice and said that he would go with an unlocked handset. Not because of any network issues, but because there are fewer restrictions. He pointed out that I would be able to install whatever I wanted (including ROM flashes) and wouldn't have Orange branding (software).

Any suggestions?
    What's the problem with an Orange logo/screen branding? If it's the price to pay for:
    1. subsidised up-front cost with new contract
    2. Access to additional Orange services (see swiss page - link in
    other thread - for taste of what's likely)
    3. Orange additional support & warranty (inc approved ROM flashes)
    then it seems a price worth paying.

Shouldn't be an expense changing number and network - just call Vodafone and request your PAC to allow transfer of the number. You'll pay an overlapping sub for a couple of weeks maybe, that's it.

I've pondered this for the last couple of months while awaiting the Orange 650 and waiting I still am - do you really have to have one NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaMgl
    I have decided that I will purchase a GSM Treo 650, now the debate is how I go about acquiring one.

I am currently a Vodafone customer and have had no problems at all with the service, customer support, etc. If Vodafone were to offer the Treo line-up (pay monthly), I would not hesitate and would get one.

1. Expansys on Vodafone
    2. Unlocked on Vodafone
    3. Unlocked on Orange
    3. Wait for Orange
    I moved from Orange to Vodafone a couple of weeks ago. I can't say that your experience will be the same as mine but if it is you'll be shocked by how poor Orange GPRS is in comparison with Voda's. Voda GPRS for me (mostly in Norwich but also in London) has been more reliable and faster than Orange ever managed in the 18 months I was with them. The only caveat I'd add is that there is just a slight possibility that Orange could activate the EDGE network that they apparently have in place. I don't think this is likely though and they specifically told me that there wouldn't be an active EDGE network that the 650 would be able to access. If I were you I'd go with option 1 and get separate insurance (my 600 is on the household insurance at no extra cost).

EDIT: If you go with option 1, the 650 will be unlocked.
  4. jgk
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaMgl

1. Expansys on Vodafone
    2. Unlocked on Vodafone
    3. Unlocked on Orange
    4. Wait for Orange
    I'm in the same situation - desperate to get my hands on a Treo 650, but for me the only choice is to wait on Orange, considering the experience I had with my 600.

I'm on my 5th of these in 17 months - 3 with the "called party buzz" problem, 2 with the dead speaker" problem. Bearing in mind the cost of these, and the fragility/poor build quality of the previous version, there's no way I'm going to go ahead without decent insurance cover which ensures I can get replacements cheaply and easily if (or, by my experience with the Treo 600 when) this goes wrong.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the responses.

I think that I'm leaning towards going with Vodafone, but I'd like to wait a little longer to see what Orange rolls out -- although, at this stage in the game, I think that I'll have to set myself a cut-off date. I went back and spoke to the rep at the Orange Shop and he figures that it will be released w/c 9 May.

I looked at the network prices and have this suspicion that the total cost of ownership with Orange is going to be higher for me (pay monthly) than if I stick with Vodafone. I haven't worked this out in detail yet; just a first pass observation.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    You can always buy an unlocked Treo from the US. Got any friends there? With a low dollar at the moment it is a great time!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgk
    I'm in the same situation - desperate to get my hands on a Treo 650, but for me the only choice is to wait on Orange, considering the experience I had with my 600.

I'm on my 5th of these in 17 months - 3 with the "called party buzz" problem, 2 with the dead speaker" problem. Bearing in mind the cost of these, and the fragility/poor build quality of the previous version, there's no way I'm going to go ahead without decent insurance cover which ensures I can get replacements cheaply and easily if (or, by my experience with the Treo 600 when) this goes wrong.
    I agree with you, and I have also been very, very tempted to buy the unlocked Treo. In France, Orange should release the Treo 650 on May 12th while the unlocked Treo has been available for many, many months now. Nevertheless, Orange's GPRS coverage in France is quite good. I really need the exchange service offered by Orange in case of hardware problem (new phone in less then 24 hours), as PalmOne's exchange service seems to be a nightmare for people that rely on their Treo. I also prefer the darker color of the Orange branded Treo.
    Last edited by u_m_rasmussen; 04/26/2005 at 05:14 AM.
    This kind of tread scares me away from buying the unlocked Treo 650:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82397
    Doesn't look the most authoratitive source but PalmAddict are indicating Weds 27th as Treo Day in the UK...
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...al_launch.html
    dabs have the treo 650 for 399.99 unlocked. their returns are usually pretty good too. Just gotta convince the girlfriend that I really need to spend 400 quid on a smartphone!
    Treo 650s are now available at some shops on Tottenham Court Road in London. Cheaper on the web no doubt but if you want to see one working at least they are now showing up in shops.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacd
    Treo 650s are now available at some shops on Tottenham Court Road in London. Cheaper on the web no doubt but if you want to see one working at least they are now showing up in shops.
    how much they going for? with a contract or not?
    Sorry, I didn't check prices or carrier info. I bought an unlocked one on the web a couple of weeks back but thought it might be worth mentioning that finally about 6 months after the device was introduced it has shown up on the street in the UK. Unofficially of course but better than nothing.
    Expansys and Vodafone is even cheaper.
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=118630
    They have it for 132.95 now with a 35 per month contract, not bad. If only I wasnt already on Voda!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pbutterworth
    Expansys and Vodafone is even cheaper.
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=118630
    They have it for 132.95 now with a 35 per month contract, not bad. If only I wasnt already on Voda!
    No doubt they have reduced the costs to compete with Oranges' upcoming release.....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I'm not sure that's how Expansys work, they buy the handset, and then offset against any subsidy that the GSM providers give them for selling the handset.

However, i will be a happy man if Orange release the T650 SOON!!! with a similar price and contract to that one.
    cheers
    Hi there,
    I spent all of Saturday morning on Tottenham Court Road. I was surprised at how many stores actually had stock. Their asking price was around GBP500 but I eventually closed a deal at GBP455.

As I live outside the U.K. and was able to get a VAT refund of about GBP50, it pushed the price down to GBP405 which is not far off the $700 in the U.S.

So clearly the Web is cheaper but then it was quite hard to find suppliers with stock or delivery in less than a week.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Dabs.com still have stock at 399, however the stock number keeps going down fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by pbutterworth
    However, i will be a happy man if Orange release the T650 SOON!!! with a similar price and contract to that one.
    cheers
    I'm with you - currently with Vodafone so difficult to switch number other than through an official contract with another supplier.

Time to ask for my PAC code a third time as they keep expiring!
    Expansys are doing the 650 on o2 for 239.95 - go to the connected deals page.

However, I gave up waiting about a month ago and got an i-mate Jam for free from Expansys with a new Voda connection (ported number from Orange). It's good, if you can get used to PocketPC being a bit flaky and memory hungry compared to Palm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast