1.    #1  
    My contract is up with orange in May - I don't like the 650 enough to warrant spending another year with Orange or shelling out from one from expansys.

I am just going to stick with my 600 and change operator - does anyone know of any good deals on pay monthly with lots of GPRS?
    Nope -GPRS is about 5 to 10 times more expensive here in the UK than the USA.
    Orange seem to be about the same price as O2. Voda is more expensive.

However, PAYG GPRS is free on Orange this month, and free (web proxy only) on PAYG Tesco as well.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril
    Nope -GPRS is about 5 to 10 times more expensive here in the UK than the USA.
    Orange seem to be about the same price as O2. Voda is more expensive.

However, PAYG GPRS is free on Orange this month, and free (web proxy only) on PAYG Tesco as well.
    The thing is that 02's GPRS is at least 5 times faster than Orange's anytinme I have tried it. I wouldn't mind paying for Orange's GPRS but is is so shoddy it is untrue.

There has to be better options
    We should all keep our eyes on easyMobile (https://www.easymobile.com/). They just entered the market, and they're planning to compete on price. No contracts, no handsets, no retail branches even, I think.

They don't offer GPRS yet but here's hoping...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Orange GPRS speeds is very variable in my experience. I live on the South Coast and it's fine. Much better coverage than any other network and the speed is decent. If I go to london, the coverage and speed both drop, but remain ok. I went to lufbra the other week and the coverage was patchy on route, but was fine once I got there...
    I've been digging, O2 GPRS is much more than orange

Orange is 4 for 4mb,
    O2 is 8 +vat for 5mb

That's more than twice the price, otherwise i was tempted with an expansys 650 on O2. Cant do Voda as thats where my contract is currently, and they wont offer the same price for existing customers.
    Just some thoughts on the topic...

I have recently come to UK from Australia and was really looking forward to using data on my Treo over here until I saw the costs.

Its amazing to see that some of the Australian telcos have come so much further in making it affordable. Back in Australia I was on a Vodafone's $50/month unlimited (well its a soft limit set around 500-700mb/month). Other telcos in Australia also offer similar deals on either GPRS or 3G data budles.

Seems like in UK there are some limited deals that exist on 3G data but that doesn't really help me with the Treo. Nothing really in GPRS space unless you are willing to pay silly pricing per kb or pay upto 100 pounts/month for 400/500mb allocations.

Quiet dissapointed really considering the population density over in UK and telcos not using it to their advantage.

Hope it improves soon with more smart phones getting released into the market.

My 2c worth anyway,

I am on orange with a 3g contract i have a 1000mb of data a free per month for 12 months. I dont use my 3g handeset, it is some uni sim that works in both gsma nd 3g handhelds. Thus I get a 1000mb of data and up to 300+ kb data speeds when using orange gprs. I cant compain about costs as it is a free promotion run by orange for 3g customers. Bearing in mind taht the orange 400 data package is at 40+ a month, the gprs pays for it self and free minutes.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    Quote Originally Posted by apple_power
    I am on orange with a 3g contract i have a 1000mb of data a free per month for 12 months. I dont use my 3g handeset, it is some uni sim that works in both gsma nd 3g handhelds. Thus I get a 1000mb of data and up to 300+ kb data speeds when using orange gprs. I cant compain about costs as it is a free promotion run by orange for 3g customers. Bearing in mind taht the orange 400 data package is at 40+ a month, the gprs pays for it self and free minutes.
    I would be very careful using 3G card in a 2G phone (ie in Treo).

Orange's cost of data on two networks is different, hence the price difference. I know down in Australia the likes of 3 do not allow you to use your 3G sim in 2G phones as GPRS data costs them too much. They monitor the network and if find someone doing that, give them a call and ask them to switch (or disconnect them).

So basically I would be careful if I were you, hopefully you will not get that call :-)

Cheers,
    Max
    www.intellectit.com.au
    Hi typera,

Apprecaite the cautionary advice, but at the end of the day there is nothing written within my contract that says I have to use my uni sim in my 3g handset. I spoke to orange and they had no issue, as I explained that i had a 3g pcmcia data card in my laptop, thus I would be using my sim in other phones.

Their official line was to advice me that the insurance for my phone would be void, but by all means I was free to do that, though they would not advice it as other phones, might not support all the features of orange.

Besides if they dont like it they should not have given me a uni sim.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    Quote Originally Posted by apple_power
    Hi typera,

Apprecaite the cautionary advice, but at the end of the day there is nothing written within my contract that says I have to use my uni sim in my 3g handset. I spoke to orange and they had no issue, as I explained that i had a 3g pcmcia data card in my laptop, thus I would be using my sim in other phones.

Their official line was to advice me that the insurance for my phone would be void, but by all means I was free to do that, though they would not advice it as other phones, might not support all the features of orange.

Besides if they dont like it they should not have given me a uni sim.
    Good work then, well done!

Cheers,
    Max
    www.intellectit.com.au