Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not to me sadly, but Expansys got 102 in this morning, which only covers around 30% of all backorders apparently.

It pays to keep an eye on the site I find, since when people are asked if they still require it a lot say no.

Kev
    Ordered mine. Missed shipping today but was promised it will ship tomorrow for delivery Thursday. Fingers crossed. 210 Anytime 200 (200 mins, 'free weekend calls for life', 30 pcm); added a 13 MB data and 250 text bundle for 14 pcm. Ported number from Orange to Voda.
    I don't quite know how I managed it (I only ordered on Friday 18th when they were talking about 300 odd backordered) but mine has shipped
    Amazing - thanks for posting that Kev! I see it's still the 600 on the palmOne site for the UK, but availability through Expansys is great.

A question one of you might be able to answer: I've looked on the site, but I presume that I can only get preferential pricing like that which MarkC got if I switch from another network? I'm with Vodafone at the moment...

Toby.
    Unfortunately the 209.95 deal is for a new Vodafone account. I currently have a phone on my Mum's vodafone account and wanted the 650 on a new account under my own name but keeping the same number. When I phoned to check, expansys said that Vodafone would still class that as an upgrade. I will be getting a new number to get the deal (thankfully not a major problem).
  6.    #6  
    Ah, I reckon they are putting people with a contract at the top of the pile then?

I may even go that route then.

Kev
  7.    #7  
    Was that with a contract?

I think what happens is that is is whoever answers email first?

Kev
    Mine was ordered with a contract and I did answer the email fairly quickly (by email). I didn't actually speak to a 'real' person so I'm afraid I can't confirm what order they were using for shipping
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyW
    A question one of you might be able to answer: I've looked on the site, but I presume that I can only get preferential pricing like that which MarkC got if I switch from another network? I'm with Vodafone at the moment...
    Quote Originally Posted by soneill
    Unfortunately the 209.95 deal is for a new Vodafone account. I currently have a phone on my Mum's vodafone account and wanted the 650 on a new account under my own name but keeping the same number. When I phoned to check, expansys said that Vodafone would still class that as an upgrade. I will be getting a new number to get the deal (thankfully not a major problem).
    If you'd rather keep your number than your network you could consider getting the Treo for 240 with an O2 contract:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=119251

I really think Ofcom ought to look at this nonsensical situation in which you have to end one contract, lose that number and start a new contract with a new number just to get a decent price from your existing provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevwright
    I think what happens is that is is whoever answers email first?
    I think that might be how it works. I hadn't placed an order before today but had signed up for the stock alert. I phoned them about 20 mins after the alert email was sent, placed the order, faxed ID and then they rang me back to say it would ship tomorrow. I'm certainly hoping I'm not 300th in a queue for 100 650s!
    Thanks for that soneill and MarkC; it does seem sharp practice to restrict upgrades in this fashion. Logically, one might have thought that it would not make sense for the carriers as customers could keep their numbers when switching.

O2 is a good suggestion, but the signal is a crummy where I live so really I'm stuck with Voda or Orange. It seems I can't keep my number with the former and it's not out yet with the latter...

Toby.
    Obviously these are not Orange branded phones, so it will be interesting to see how different the final Orange handset is.

Going on from the above, I would assume that the Orange handset will incorporate the new updated filing system that Palmone has just released that is freeing up 5mb of memory on average. This would justify the wait, in Orange's eyes.

But will these unlocked GSM handsets that are now shipping have this update installed ? If not how long will you have to wait for the update, as the current one is Sprint ect only.

Roll on Orange sets, please
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Phoned Expansys about 11.30 this morning because I hadn't heard anything and they said my order was now a back-order because they only got 102 Treos yesterday and these only covered some of the orders in front of me in the queue . This I suppose is what I expected (although my conversations with them yesterday did give me the impression that they were only waiting on Voda before they could ship). They also said, however, that they should receive another 'seven hundred or a thousand' 650s today and this will clear the backlog . I'm not quite sure if this is true or how many Expansys received today because the web site now has availability as 'Estimated 6 days'. Anyway, I just got an email saying my 650 has shipped . Some of their communication may have been a little confusing, but credit to Expansys, they got the Treo out of the door within 24 hours of my order and I should have a new toy for Easter!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    But will these unlocked GSM handsets that are now shipping have this update installed ?
    Very unlikely IMHO - I would expect the ROM updater to be available on the palmOne web site before units with updated ROMs appear on the shelves. Just considering logistics really: it's quicker to post an update on a web site than to install the new ROM on a device (presumably this occurs at the point of manufacture) and ship the device to the retailer. I believe I'm right in saying that the Sprint updater has appeared before new Sprint devices with the updated ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    If not how long will you have to wait for the update, as the current one is Sprint ect only.
    No idea, but I presume that in large part it is a matter of amalgamating the updates developed for the CDMA ROM with the GSM ROM. I presume this will take (much) less time than engineering the fixes in the first place.
  15.    #15  
    So Mark, to clarify, you only ordered this yesterday with a Voda contract?

This is evidence IMHO that they are favouring contracts (not that I completely blame them)

Kev
    So Mark, to clarify, you only ordered this yesterday with a Voda contract?
    That's right. I ordered with a Vodafone Anytime 200 contract as described here:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=118630

I ordered between 1.30 and 1.45 pm yesterday.

This is evidence IMHO that they are favouring contracts (not that I completely blame them)
    I'm confused by what is going on and am not sure if they fulfilled my order with stock they received yesterday (in which case you might be right) or with new stock that arrived today.
  17.    #17  
    Well, I may order one on Voda today and see.
    Well mine arrived this morning All I have to do now is charge it and set it up....
    Well mine arrived this morning All I have to do now is charge it and set it up....
    Good news, good timeing for the Easter hols as well

Keep us informed of you progress
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Hey, good news! I hope you enjoy it!

I've no idea where mine is. Frustratingly, I got this from Expansys this morning:

'Dear Customer,

Unfortunately although our Royal Mail post was collected yesterday there was a chemical in a package that was split and the main Royal Mail hub building was evacuated for many hours. They did not scan in any post and there is likely to be a delay in your order reaching you.

eXpansys apologise for this delay but unfortunately this is out of our hands. We have taken this opportunity to inform you as soon as we were made aware of this issue.

Kind Regards
    eXpansys.com'

Good of them to write but also confusing because my parcel was showing on the Royal Mail tracking page from the middle of yesterday afternoon (so I presume that it was scanned in before then). I've just got a horrible feeling that if it doesn't arrive today I'll have to wait until Tuesday. Still, at least it's school holidays and one of the kids can stay home and sign for it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast