Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The camera is still very poor compared to others and I can't justify spending any money to upgrade to actually have worse call quality with the 650
    Quote Originally Posted by pbutterworth
    Is the 5.1mb for 6 a standard option on Voda, i've never seen that in the literature.
    The Vodafone data prices I quoted were given to me by Expansys when I was ordering the 650. I'm not sure if they're just for new connections or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    Let's hope that Orange include the patch/ update which is supposed to sort out the alleged poor sound quality.
    Just one data point, but with the few calls I made and received on the 650 the sound quality on my end was fine and I had no complaints from the people I was talking to. I was always in a quiet environment though and it might be different with lots of background noise.

The only complaints I could level in this area is that the 650 was a bit quiet in speakerphone mode and they removed my favourite 600 ring tone, 'Arabesque'!
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2447
    The camera is still very poor compared to others
    Cameras on phones matter to me very little*, but the one on the 650 is much better than the one on the 600: more sensitive (usable in lower light conditions) and pics have better contrast and saturation.

*Having said that, I'll probably crash my car tomorrow and really wish I had the 650 camera rather than that on the 600 to record the scene and damage, but this is really the only situation I can think of where I might get real value from a phone camera. If I want to take photographs, I pack the SLR.
    Had enough of waiting now. Ordered an i-mate JAM from Expansys on Vodafone (switching from Orange). The device is free with an 18 month contract, and looking around it has slightly better reviews than the 650, even if it does mean selling my soul and getting Windows Mobile.

So, because of their inability to get the Treo out or even set a release date, both PalmOne and Orange between them have conspired to lose me as a customer....
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    Cameras on phones matter to me very little*, but the one on the 650 is much better than the one on the 600: more sensitive (usable in lower light conditions) and pics have better contrast and saturation.

*Having said that, I'll probably crash my car tomorrow and really wish I had the 650 camera rather than that on the 600 to record the scene and damage, but this is really the only situation I can think of where I might get real value from a phone camera. If I want to take photographs, I pack the SLR.
    Thank you Mark, that was the point I was making
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    Just one data point, but with the few calls I made and received on the 650 the sound quality on my end was fine and I had no complaints from the people I was talking to.
    Ditto thank you Mark
    As I was saying you always hear of complaints, but very little praise.
    Thought of the day :
    The camera is still very poor compared to others and I can't justify spending any money to upgrade to actually have worse call quality with the 650
    Re Camera & Sound, see my replies to Mark, who has answered you worries.

As I said before, if you believe half of what's on this board you would not even think about a 600.

I bet if you checked the posts here 1 year ago the same things were being said about the 600
    Thought of the day :
    I bet if you checked the posts here 1 year ago the same things were being said about the 600
    But they were true, the call quality was and is poor on the 600 and the picture quality is really poor compared to free payg nokia's.

My contract in up in may, not sure what to do. My main concern is getting a provider who's GPRS doesn't bankrupt me every month
    But they were true, the call quality was and is poor on the 600 and the picture quality is really poor compared to free payg nokia's.
    The point I'm making is that MarkC said he was happy with his 600, and so had decided not to keep his new 650.

Yes we all know that lots of phone do some things better than the 600, but it's a good package with all the bits in it. If you are happy with it, then if the hi-res etc is attractive to you, the 650 will be worth it.
    Thought of the day :
    But they were true, the call quality was and is poor on the 600
    If by 'call quality' you mean the quality of what you hear and the person you're talking to hears, then I have to say that my experience doesn't support this. I've had two 600s (the first one drowned) and both had very good sound quality at my end, not as good as a landline perhaps but with good clarity and certainly richer sounding than my previous mobile (a SE T68i). OK at the other end as well as far as I know. I've used the two 600s for several thousand minutes of calls and the only problems I can remember could probably be ascribed to weak signal (so not a problem with handset per se).

My contract in up in may, not sure what to do. My main concern is getting a provider who's GPRS doesn't bankrupt me every month
    Move to the US? In the UK I think Orange is the cheapest (but not the best in other respects). How much data do you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    The point I'm making is that MarkC said he was happy with his 600, and so had decided not to keep his new 650.
    I did have a couple of issues with the 650 (see my post on p. 2 of this thread) but it's certainly true that if I hadn't been happy with 600 I'd have been more inclined to keep the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgeldart
    Had enough of waiting now. Ordered an i-mate JAM from Expansys on Vodafone (switching from Orange). The device is free with an 18 month contract, and looking around it has slightly better reviews than the 650, even if it does mean selling my soul and getting Windows Mobile.

So, because of their inability to get the Treo out or even set a release date, both PalmOne and Orange between them have conspired to lose me as a customer....
    Yep - yet another string of rumoured 'dates' come and go without any change to the inertia that is PalmOne/Orange. Just what marketing courses have these guys been on - "how to lose friends and alienate people"?

Fortunately I'm not that desparate to blow a couple of hundred quid that I can wait - how much longer though...?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123