Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRela...storyid=128319

palmOne's Treo 650 Smartphone Launches in Europe With Orange and TIM

Popular Smartphone Available in the UK, France, Switzerland and Italy

MILPITAS, Calif., Feb. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- palmOne, Inc.'s new Treo(TM) 650 smartphone is giving European mobile professionals what they need to stay connected and in touch. The award-winning smartphone has launched in Europe with two initial mobile operators:

-- palmOne and Orange, one of the world's largest mobile communications
    companies, announced the launch of the new Treo 650 smartphone in the
    UK, France and Switzerland; and
    -- palmOne and TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile), the leading mobile operator in
    the Italian market, announced an agreement for distributing the Treo
    650 smartphone in Italy.

The Treo 650, which will be available in the above countries in early March(1), simplifies people's lives by combining a compact, full-featured quad-band mobile phone with email, a Palm OS(R) organizer, messaging, and web access(2), and a digital camera.

Orange: Treo 650 in UK, France and Switzerland

Following the success of the Treo 600 smartphone, which was one of the most successful Orange phones in its Signature catalogue last year in terms of data usage, the Treo 650 is one of Orange's flagship Talk Now(TM) phones. Customers have instant access to groups of friends or colleagues at the touch of a dedicated button on the side of the phone. As an Orange Signature phone, it also comes equipped with Orange-specific applications, such as Orange Backup (which allows customers to automatically back up Contacts, SIM data, Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Mail and images wirelessly on a remote server) and Orange Download (which enables customers to receive updated software from Orange directly to the phone). palmOne and Orange are supporting the launch of the Treo 650 with a broad range of marketing initiatives, including advertising campaigns.

TIM: Treo 650 in Italy

TIM believes that the mobile workforce needs to be able to perform a broad range of tasks in order to remain competitive and is committed to providing the necessary combination of cutting-edge devices, network capabilities, multimedia and data services to make that possible through its own EDGE Network. Via TIM, Treo 650 users will get access to a series of specific services, including the TIM Downloads application, which lets users receive updated software from TIM directly to their phones.

About the Treo 650 Smartphone

Treo 650 builds on the award-winning design of the Treo 600 with new and improved features:

-- Vibrant 320 x 320 display is easy to read;
    -- Non-volatile memory and removable battery;
    -- Integrated Bluetooth(R) technology for communicating with headsets, car
    kits, computers and printers equipped with Bluetooth technology;
    -- Improved camera for better low-light shots and with video-capture
    capabilities;
    -- Improved QWERTY/AZERTY backlit keyboard and new design for easier
    typing;
    -- Capability to access EDGE based networks, which delivers fast data
    speeds;(3)
    -- Support for direct corporate email access to Microsoft Exchange Server
    2003 using palmOne's VersaMail(TM) email software;
    -- MP3 player; (4) and
    -- Single inbox for text and picture messaging.

More information about the Treo 650 smartphone is available at www.palmOne.com/Treo650.

About palmOne, Inc.

palmOne, Inc. (Nasdaq: PLMO) -- a leader in handheld computing and communications solutions -- strives to put the power of computing in people's hands so they can access and share their most important information. The company's products include Treo(TM) smartphones, Zire(TM) and Tungsten(TM) handhelds, and software and accessories.

palmOne products are sold through select Internet, retail, reseller and wireless operator channels throughout the world, and at palmOne Retail Stores and palmOne online stores ( http://www.palmOne.com/stores ).

More information about palmOne, Inc. is available at http://www.palmOne.com .

(1) Exact availability dates per country will be communicated by local
    branch offices.

(2) Within wireless service coverage area only. Email requires data
    services from a mobile service provider at an additional cost. ISP may
    also be required. Pricing varies by service provider.

(3) EDGE service not available in all areas.

(4) Requires expansion card, sold separately.

Broadcast Video and Other palmOne Materials

Broadcast video and other materials are available online from palmOne's Multimedia Library (www.palmOne.com/MultimediaLibrary). Press can register at the site, which is hosted by The NewsMarket (www.TheNewsMarket.com), a web-based news and video archive, to browse and preview an extensive content library and order footage directly from their desktops. Registration and ordering on the site is free.

NOTE: palmOne, Palm OS, Treo, Tungsten, Zire and VersaMail are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned by or licensed to palmOne, Inc. or its subsidiaries. The Bluetooth word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by palmOne, Inc. is under license. All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or services of, their respective owners.

SOURCE palmOne, Inc.
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
  2. sam
    what about unlooked versions gsm in switzerland? I'm not using a Orange card.
    sam
    Quote Originally Posted by sam
    what about unlooked versions gsm in switzerland? I'm not using a Orange card.
    sam
    The Treo 650 unlocked version is now available from the PalmOne European store for 729 (euros).

http://eurostore.palmone.com/is-bin/...042R%5BEMEA%5D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VERY pricey!!! For that price (and the added VAT), our euro friends could hop a flight to the US and buy an UNlocked T650 here and enjoy our hospitality. Maybe some enterprising TC soul can set up a business buying unlocked T650s (or Cingular ones and getting then SIM SUbsidy UNlocked) and then selling them in Europe.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    wonder how they can get push to talk to work for thiers and not ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    VERY pricey!!! For that price (and the added VAT), our euro friends could hop a flight to the US and buy an UNlocked T650 here and enjoy our hospitality. Maybe some enterprising TC soul can set up a business buying unlocked T650s (or Cingular ones and getting then SIM SUbsidy UNlocked) and then selling them in Europe.
    Well actually the 729 is the PalmOne price including sales tax. The tax varies from country to country in Europe.

For those of us who are buying the phone as a business expense (most do) we do not pay sales tax and the price is 602 which is about 780 dollars. The PalmOne unlocked version of the Treo 650 costs 700 dollars in the US.

So yes, the new Treo is definitely more expensive to buy in Europe (like everything else it seems to me), however not so much than we for the price difference (80 US dollars) can hop on a flight to the Big US of A and enjoy your hospitality, unless, of course, you count you hospitality as being free of charge ;-)
    Well, it does seem a bit pricey to me. I would be buying personally so I'm not that interested in the sales tax aspect.

There's no sign yet on the Palm UK site, and also no trailer for it on the Orange site so I wonder how long it will be to get over to the UK and what the subsidised price might be.

Toby.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Buy an unlocked GSM off eBay and pay the VAT - it works out much cheeper (that's what I did).

Also, it allows you to choose your own network - I don't use Orange.
    I have some doubt as to the reliability of the Treo 650, so I'm not going to buy an imported GSM model off eBay.

I'll buy from Orange directly, and get the subsidised price - I have a business account with them which is due an upgrade. I'd say this was the cheaper option, plus I have a right to recourse if the phone breaks.

Incidentally, if you phone Orange customer services (Business), they will send you an SMS when the phone is available for order.
    Yes, I have the same thought; I don't really want to risk an eBay purchase in case of needing to send it back.

Also, some of the Treo 650 eBay sellers looked *very* dodgy, with the exception of one or two that have been recomended on here.

The press release says early March, but does anyone have an exact date? I don't know whether stocks are likely to be sufficient - what was the situation with the 600?

Toby.
    The message from the two orange stores where I'm based was:
    Store 1: "Available end of february" - but thats today - "oh, well soon"
    Store 2: "End of march"

Who knows? I've put myself on the orange waiting list
    Let's say I buy a GSM Treo 650 to replace my current Sprint CDMA model. If I go to Europe (or Asia) and need to access the internet (use SnapperMail for example), will I be able to do so, or is it only good for making phone calls?
    -Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
    http://www.libertybasic.com
    Access anything anywhere there is GSM in Europe and Asia, so that means just about everywhere. Hope that makes your mind up.
    *almost* everywhere that there is GSM. I've been to a developing country where there was GSM but not GPRS features (gloom) but that's just once in the last 10 years of travelling.

Everywhere in Europe should be ok.
    The Register is reporting 17 March for the unlocked 650 in Europe.

'This week, industry sources suggested that the "early March" timeframe can be narrowed down to 17 March, at least as far as PalmOne's own SIM-free version goes.'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...eo_650_europe/

The carrier versions are likely to be earlier or at least coincident with this as this seems to be P1 policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    The Register is reporting 17 March for the unlocked 650 in Europe.

'This week, industry sources suggested that the "early March" timeframe can be narrowed down to 17 March, at least as far as PalmOne's own SIM-free version goes.'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...eo_650_europe/

The carrier versions are likely to be earlier or at least coincident with this as this seems to be P1 policy.
    Well, actually the European P1 website already offers for sale the Treo 650 and can ship to all countries except France, UK, Switzerland and Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    Well, actually the European P1 website already offers for sale the Treo 650 and can ship to all countries except France, UK, Switzerland and Italy.
    Ooops. I was being unforgiveably UK-centric. I hope the whole of Europe (with the exception of UK, Italy, France and Swizerland) will accept my apology
    Well, I'm still waiting for the UK one too! I keep checking the Orange site for its arrival, but no luck yet...

I am currently with Vodafone, but might consider moving to Orange - what do other UK residents reckon to the tariffs for data?

Toby.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyW
    I am currently with Vodafone, but might consider moving to Orange - what do other UK residents reckon to the tariffs for data?
    These are the Orange data charges (as of a couple of weeks ago - I don't supposed they've changed):

Mb per month - cost per month - out of bundle cost

4 MB - 4.00 - 1 per MB

10 MB 8.00 - 0.80 per MB

25 MB - 16.00 - 0.70 per MB

80 MB - 41.13 - 0.65 per MB

400 MB - 52.88 - 0.59 per MB

Orange World Access Max - 88.13 - N/A*

* subject to a fair usage policy of 1000MB per month

How do these compare to Voda? I looked on their UK web site but couldn't find an equivalent list.
    At the moment I am on a Voda 200 Xnet tariff. In the bill I have to hand here I paid 2.30 for 781.9kB, which works out at nearly 3 per MB. This seems pricey to me! However, I suppose I am not on one of their data specific tariffs.

Vodafone's website is pretty opaque, but if you go through into buying a phone it gives some tariffs. The Anytime 200, for example, is listed at 2.35 per MB. It doesn't seem to present the optional extra GPRS bundles like Orange, but this could be because the site design makes it difficult to use.

What are you using MarkC?

Toby.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast