1.    #1  
    I plan to be in Italy for a couple of weeks in a few months. I'd like to use my Treo600 for local phone and internet access. From what I've read on usenet, I should be able to buy a pepaid SIM card from WIND which will also allow unlimited internet (GPRS) access. Just looking for a confirmation...
    Thx.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  2. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I am going to Italy as well and have looked into this. Here is a very helpful post from Howardforums devoted to the topic:

Global GSM Prepaid Overview - Great for travelers!
    I just came back from Milano and did not use a prepaid sim. Just used the 5.$99/mo Cingular option. Was surprised to find that I had a choice of several networks. I-Wind did not provide data, but vidaphone and tim did. Connections for voice and data were great.
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    I just came back from Milano and did not use a prepaid sim. Just used the 5.$99/mo Cingular option. Was surprised to find that I had a choice of several networks. I-Wind did not provide data, but vidaphone and tim did. Connections for voice and data were great.
    This is not true!

The three GSM Operators in Italy: TIM, Vodafone and Wind offer both data call over switched network and GPRS. Only TIM offers EDGE data transport.

There is a 4th operator: the 3G only TRE.

Some of this operators have data plan with Kbytes included both for prepaid and postpaid cards.

The homepages are www.tim.it www.vodafone.it and www.wind.it

I use Wind with an unlimited data plan for 19/month. but this option is not available any more for new customers!

You can buy a GSM prepaid SIM with as low as 5.
    Ciao

Ettore
    Was true! Maybe it was temporary (for a week), but a GPRS connection was not available in San Donato or Milano using I-Wind.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    This is not true!

The three GSM Operators in Italy: TIM, Vodafone and Wind offer both data call over switched network and GPRS. Only TIM offers EDGE data transport.

There is a 4th operator: the 3G only TRE.

Some of this operators have data plan with Kbytes included both for prepaid and postpaid cards.

The homepages are www.tim.it www.vodafone.it and www.wind.it

I use Wind with an unlimited data plan for 19/month. but this option is not available any more for new customers!

You can buy a GSM prepaid SIM with as low as 5.

Thanks, Ettore! And thanks to other posters as well. Now, since I have a 5phour layover at Fiumicino airpost in Rome, hopefully Wind has a store at the parport...and sells dual SIM card sleds also...
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Thanks, Ettore! And thanks to other posters as well. Now, since I have a 5phour layover at Fiumicino airpost in Rome, hopefully Wind has a store at the parport...and sells dual SIM card sleds also...
    Unfortunately only Vodafone has a shop in Fiumicino Airport (just before the security control at the national gates) and at this hour it seems to me it's too late.

Regards

have a nice time here in Italy.
    Ciao

Ettore
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    Unfortunately only Vodafone has a shop in Fiumicino Airport (just before the security control at the national gates) and at this hour it seems to me it's too late.

Regards

have a nice time here in Italy.
    Grazie, Ettore - I'm traveling in June.
    Shneor
    I have a Treo650 unlocked GSM bought in USA.....
    can we say that it will not have problems with a prepaid TIM SIM in Italy?

thanks
    Sure, TIM is the only operator in Italy that sells a branded Treo 650, I use WIND anyway: better rates!
    Ciao

Ettore
    what version do you have?
    mine is:
    Software: Treo650 1.06 ROW
    Hardware: A
    Palm OS: v. 5.4.5

thanks