1.    #1  
    Hello,

Thought I'd share my experiances with you.

I have a Treo600 connected on OrangeUK. Since receiving the phone in Feb 2004 I have had the dogged "speakerphone" problem which I initially ignored, but then other problems began to devlop such as "buzzing" during calls, "lost signal" and the handset "locking-up/crashing". I contacted OrangeUK a few times but was given different advice from taking out their Orange Care cover for 12 months, to trying a hard reset and using the Orange Updater, to saying that I must have "damaged" the handset myself and I may need to pay for a repair/replacement

In the end I recalled my experiance with my last Treo270. When I had problems with that hadnset I contacted Handspring and they arranged a "warranty" repair, which meant I returned the handset to their repair centre in the UK (Novo...something), and I received a replacement Treo270 in return.

So realising that my Treo600 would be out of warranty shortly I thought I would contact PalmOne. On contacting PalmOne, they asked my to go through a few steps, i.e. "hard-reset", "un-installing software" etc. After confirming that I had done all of this, PalmOne sent me a SRO Number (service repair order I think) and details of where to send my Treo600 for repair (Celestica Limited).

I will send it off tomorrow, and keep you informed on how I get on. Hopefully they will repair my handset OR replace it with a functioning unit.

Would appreciate hearing any similar experiences.

Regards,

MK

MAKTIGER
    Might be an idea to try the battery disconnect reset before you send it off. This is more severe than a hard reset and, as I understand it, really does restore the device to factory settings. It can fix what seem to be hardware problems. For instance, it fixed my 600 when the screen failed to respond in any meaningful way.
    Last edited by MarkC; 02/11/2005 at 03:41 AM. Reason: remove quote
    Thanks for the long quoted text Mark.

I don't doubt you answer, just the need to quote the whole question in the first reply to a thread ?

Anyway, just to helpout on the battery reset thing, I quote :
    -------------------------------
    A battery disconnect reset is a last resort step you can take to quickly drain the battery, wipe all data, and regress a Treo 600 to its factory-fresh state. It only works on a Treo 600 smartphone.
    Warning: A battery disconnect reset will erase everything on your device, and also reset the wireless radio and disconnect the internal battery. All your data will be removed, and formats, preferences and other settings are restored to their factory default settings. Don't perform a battery disconnect reset unless you've backed up your data, or you're willing to lose everything.

Additionally, you won't be able to turn your Treo 600 back on until you connect it to a power adapter, so do not perform this type of reset if you're not near a power source and your Treo 600 charger.

Hold down the K and Backspace keys simultaneously. (Note: for French AZERTY keyboard, press K and M; for other language overlays, please refer to the customer support for your region)
    While continuing to hold down the K and Backspace keys, press the RESET button inside the hole on the back panel of your device (where's the reset hole?).
    Finding it hard to do? Good. We made this type of reset very awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident when your Treo 600 is jostling around in a pocket or bag. Sorry for the inconvenience. You might want to enlist the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too difficult.
    Continue holding down K and Backspace. The screen will flash white briefly, and then go black. Release K and Backspace after this happens.

------------------------------

I'll be interested to hear if this helps
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Thanks for the long quoted text Mark.

I don't doubt you answer, just the need to quote the whole question in the first reply to a thread ?
    Fair point. Quote removed.
    While on the subject of quotes. Your quote:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasT

Anyway, just to helpout on the battery reset thing, I quote :
    (which I've snipped ) is only partial and stops half way through step 5 of a seven-step process. I'd encourage anyone thinking of performing the battery disconnect reset to read the whole of the relevant section (link in post 2 of this thread).
    Thanks for that, I missed the hotlink in your reply
    Thought of the day :
  7.    #7  
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, BUT, I sent off my Tre600 before I got to read your posts. My brother also ordered a Treo600 connected to OrangeUK from the same UK suplier as mine at the same time as me. He had exactly the same problems, but since he took out the Orange Care cover he had his handset replaced (twice!). Now his current handset works perfectly!

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they do to my handset.

Regards,

MK
    MAKTIGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Maktiger
    Hi Guys,

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they do to my handset.

Regards,

MK
    If it comes back with the same problem, swap it with your brother and get him to get another handset
    Thought of the day :
    That's ****ty - hope it goes well for you!

I bought a generic t600 in Sweden and used in UK for just two days, without any problem. The GPRS was notably slower...
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
  10.    #10  
    HELLO,

Just to give you guys an update on my Treo600 story.

As you know, I sent off my Treo600 handset to PalmOne's European repair centre in the UK (Celestica) on the 11th February 2005. I received an acknowledgement email from PalmOne a few days later to say that they had received my handset. 3 days ago I received another email from PalmOne to say that they had finished the work on my handset and it would be sent back to me in 3-4 days time.

This afternoon my handset arrived by courier. To my surprise it was a "replacement" handset, not sure if its new or reconditioned? reconditioned I guess, looks new to me i.e. no scratches etc. Anyway, I've left it on charge and will test it tomorrow.

Also, the replacement handset didn't come from Celestica UK BUT directly from PalmOne Europe Limited in the "Czech Republic"!

Well I am VERY IMPRESSED! PalmOne have given me a replacement handset with a 90 day warranty (my 1 year warranty expired mid February 2005) so this additional warranty is a bonus!

With the caveat that my replacement handset functions properly I think that Orange UK should take note of my case and think about improving their customer service for Treo600 owners!

I will let you know how I get on with the replacement handset, I'm not too worried though since I've got 90 days warranty on it from today!

CIAO
    MAKTIGER