1.    #1  
    This deal doesn't look at all bad:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=118630

- Treo 650 210 on Voda Anytime 200

Estimated at 4 days(!), which I'd love to believe, but expansys availability estimates are not always accurate.
    Last edited by MarkC; 02/05/2005 at 02:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hmmm... I hope when Orange release it that it's about 100.00 for the hand set with a 25.00 month contract (same price I paid for the Treo 600). Vodaphone call/ data charges seem high too.

But, if you cant wait then it is an option....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Hmmm... I hope when Orange release it that it's about 100.00 for the hand set with a 25.00 month contract (same price I paid for the Treo 600). Vodaphone call/ data charges seem high too.

But, if you cant wait then it is an option....
    Agreed that the handset from expansys is more than it is likely to be from Orange, but it is unlocked and this could save you money by avoiding roaming charges if you're travelling. Call charges: the Voda Anytime 200 plan is essentially identical to the plan I'm on with Orange now (200 mins = 30). I think you're right about data charges; as I recall Voda was significantly more expensive last time I looked. On the other hand, Voda GPRS is more stable than that from Orange (in my experience).
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    There would be a saving on roaming charges using an unlocked phone- good point. Personally I don't travel enough for it to make a difference; but others may.

I think the Vodafone tariff seemed high to me because the cost to other networks was 0.35. I have an 02 Orange Value tariff that gives me 100 mins to any network + 100 free texts. GPRS works out to a 1 per MB after a GPRS bundle is chosen. Shame Vodafone don't offer a similar deal....

I'll try and wait for Orange to release it.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  5.    #5  
    I think the Vodafone tariff seemed high to me because the cost to other networks was 0.35. I have an 02 Orange Value tariff that gives me 100 mins to any network + 100 free texts. GPRS works out to a 1 per MB after a GPRS bundle is chosen. Shame Vodafone don't offer a similar deal....
    The Voda plan gives you 200 min that includes calls to any other network. It's only 35p per min when those are all used up. This is the same as the Orange plan I'm on now.

I tried to find data costs on the Voda site, but they're too well hidden for me

I'll try and wait for Orange to release it.
    Expansys are now saying early March, so that might help!
    Expansys are now asking for 305 with contract! And they've gone from no mention of availability yesterday to having a few in in 3 days now. They seem to be changing what they're saying about the 650 every other day, so I think I'll hang on for Orange
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgeldart
    Expansys are now asking for 305 with contract! And they've gone from no mention of availability yesterday to having a few in in 3 days now. They seem to be changing what they're saying about the 650 every other day, so I think I'll hang on for Orange
    Actually the page offering it for 210 (link in first post of this thread) is still there. It currently says both '3 days' and 'early March'. I rang them this morning and they say the units they have in stock are actually in Australia and you can't buy them in the UK (even though the pages we're discussing are from the UK-localised version of their site). They need to sharpen this up a bit I think. For an on-line retailer to have such confusing info on their web site is pretty poor.
  8.    #8  
    expansys web site now says 'Due Thursday 17th March'. I'm sure this will be at least as accurate as their earlier predictions