Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    jan 5th: called my local dealer here in bangkok and they said they expect the 650 gsm in two weeks or so. last time I called they had no idea.

any similar announcements from the region?
    It's first week of Feb for those of us in Singapore...
    Where is your "local dealer" in Bangkok? I will be in the Land of Smiles from February 19-27, and I'm thinking it might be easier to just pick up a new 650 while I'm there instead of ordering from palmone.com and waiting for them to ship.
    Also, when the Treo600 was released in Bangkok, was the price comparable to the US (non-contract) price? I know things are usually much cheaper in the Land of Smiles, and maybe I can save some $$$ by waiting and purchasing while I'm there.
    Mahalo!
    jskier,
    Would that nullify your chances of a warranty when you got back to the States? I don't know, just wondering.
    Last edited by Markito; 01/05/2005 at 08:55 AM.
    ~'kito
  5.    #5  
    intl warranty guaranteed, no problem
    Hong Kong says there is a delay. The 650 was to be released before Chinese New Year but might be delayed until the second quarter.

Beel- Hope all is ok with you. The Tsunami was pretty nasty and I was wondering how you were doing.
  7.    #7  
    hi bongmaster - yes, was pretty bad. had to go down to the south. have seen enough dead people for some time I hope. communication wise my old siemens s45 was wonderfully reliable - gprs and infrared via the computer. reliabilty, thats worth most for me. hope this will be fine with the 650
    Beel
    I was visiting friends at AoNang/Krabi and was near the beach when it hit. Luckily AoNang was not hit as bad. Phuket was a mess and we helped for a couple of days and left. Its good to see that things are returning to normal. I hope to be back in Krabi and Bangkok mid-late Feb. MY 600 is dying on me. The scren got damaged in Thailand so the quicker the 650 is released the better.
  9.    #9  
    glad to know you're safe bongm.

amazing that ao nang was nearly untouched - well, not khao lak. terrible scenes there.

regarding the 650 in asia:

p1's websites for thailand and singapore replaced the 600 on the front page with the 650 - hkg still has the 600 on the main page.

lets wait and see, but something's brewing.
    Well it gives me another excuse to head to bangkok soon
    HK got the 600 a lot later than Singapore so it must be the same situation once again. P1 is losing their market share here as more HKgers are beginning to switch to ppc devices. The support seems better and the devices are released pretty quick unlike palm.
  11.    #11  
    been at the main distributor of treos in bangkok - they said 650 will arrive "next month", whatever that means. they're taking pre-reservations.
    Typically I've found prices in Bangkok (MBK) to be more expensive than here in the states, even without the subsidy.

I'd be curious as to how much the Treo 650 goes for ....

It's even worse with the current exchange rate.
    Over in Australia some retailers are taking pre-oders as well. Their shipping date is 19th of February.

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=treo+650
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7498

Prices are pretty good in Australia starting at A$885. (Palmone's suggeted retail price is A$1199). How does this price compare to other retailers in Asia-pacific?
    Hey, I know all of you are waiting on the gsm treo in asia, but can someone tell me if there are CDMA-based wireless carriers in Thailand, Vietnam, and Hong Kong? I will be there for 3 weeks in Feb and would like to know if I'll be able to use my CDMA Treo 650 while there (at least for voice calls). Thanks...
  15.    #15  
    thailand and hongkong have cdma by hutch - relatively new, but if you dont have to travel to thailand's provinces should be ok
    Hi Guys

Beelzebueb do you have the address etc for 'your' dealer? It looks like it will be after CNY. Do they have any price info?

Cheers
    BBKBAZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bongmaster
    Hong Kong says there is a delay. The 650 was to be released before Chinese New Year but might be delayed until the second quarter.

Beel- Hope all is ok with you. The Tsunami was pretty nasty and I was wondering how you were doing.
    may be it is time for me to get a treo 650 or other phone when i visit hong kong in feb (after chinese new year)
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    thailand and hongkong have cdma by hutch - relatively new, but if you dont have to travel to thailand's provinces should be ok
    Hutch is a strange bird. Their CDMA phones actually have some form of SIM card. I'm not sure how this is implemented.

The last time I was there (November) I tried to get them to activate my Verizon CDMA2000 1X phone on their network, but they were clueless. I'm not sure if it was incompatible, if the person I was speaking with was lacking in knowledge or what.

I do know that my CDMA phone will communicate with Hutch's towers in Thailand. They feed my phone the date/time (great alarm clock). Also: If I attempt to use my phone I get a message that I need to go pay money to Hutch. (Which is what I tried to do).

grrrr.... (Despirately trying to avoid buying another phone just for travel!)
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    jan 5th: called my local dealer here in bangkok and they said they expect the 650 gsm in two weeks or so. last time I called they had no idea.

any similar announcements from the region?

I am seriuosly considering moving to Asia for that phone.Seems like it will never be released in US.
    Some of us travel around the region and wil be in a position to buy the unlocked GSM Treo 650 whereever it first pops into shops. I am guessing that it'll be HK or Singapore, just because other Asian markets are usually downstream from distribution centers in those 2 countries.

So let's all agree to keep an eye open in our relative markets and let the others in this thread know when we see some stocks arrive. There is a distinct possibility that the first batch will be snapped up quickly.

We could even go as far as sharing email addresses or mobile numbers so we can SMS each other.

What do you all think?

Regards
    Peter
    BKK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast