Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Wednesday 22nd I couldn't make any calls or send any texts from a Treo 600. It would start trying to dial and then lapse back to the welcome screen. The battery was at 50%. As soon as I plugged it into the charger it worked fine. Obviously a hardware problem with the battery not being able to power the phone transmitter.

I got through to Orange support on morning of 23rd (eventually). Explained it all in detail. Said it was known problem. Said I knew I needed a replacement. I said "Write this down to tell tech support. I know it's a hardware problem with the battery. I know I need a replacement." And some other stuff. Guy said he would do this, attach it as a note.

23rd I get a call back with a job number and am told that technical support has said I need to try a hard reset and that if this does not fix the problem then they have authorised an exchange. Fair enough, I think, and do hard reset, only mildly messing up half my installed programs.

I'm busy 24th and they leave a message for me to phone. I call back on morning of 25th saying hard reset did not fix problem so can I now organise exchange please. Woman says OK and that she has to phone somebody else to organise this and I give her a time when she can phone me back. Nobody phones me back then, or ever.

On 26th I call in. There is NO RECORD of my call on 25th! The man says that if hard reset did not work then he has to report it back to technical support to see if they will authorise an exchange. I said that I had twice been told (23rd and 25th) that provided reset did not work then an exchange had been authorised. He said that technical support would never conditionally agree an exchange, one would always need to get back to them. That means TWO PEOPLE LIED to me about the exchange. I asked him if there was a note from me on 23rd. He said there was an account of the fault report but no note of my saying that I knew it was a hardware problem with the battery and needed an exchange. So the guy who spoke to me on 23rd and said he would pass the note on LIED to me and did nothing. Furthermore, the guy on 26th said that there was no mechanism for customer service to do anything more than file a fault report - they couldn't pass on messages from customers saying that they knew what was wrong, etc. The guy on 23rd should never have said he could do this.

And then I spoke to a manager who said she'd try to sort things out (we'll see). And she told me that customer service could indeed send notes to technical support just 10 minutes after the other guy had told me that they couldn't. So I guess he was LYING too.

Do I detect a pattern emerging?

So as of now, I don't think I could strongly recommend Orange as a service provider for the Treo 600.

- Dave
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I sympathise with you Dave, in my experience Orange's customer care is shocking.

After having similar problems to you, I took out Orange Care for 5.00 per month- not the answer I know but it saved me a lot of hassle when my Treo developed the buzzing isue few months ago (for the second time). Received a new replacement handset the next day.

Another thing about network carriers that irritates me, is that there is no loyalty. Once your existing contract expires you get a much better deal if you cancel and re-connect to them, rather than go for an upgrade plan.

From what I can gather, I think most carriers have poor customer services....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I hadn't realised Orange had stopped providing them. That's a bit of a worry. What will I do if this one breaks down? I'm thinking of buying a spare, maybe on Ebay. But I don't know whether to wait a few months till the 650 comes out and then the 600 will be cheaper. Or will the 600 just disappear?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    It is a worry. I'd heard that Orange had no stock but had hoped that wasn't a problem as the replacement units aren't supposedly new but refurbs.

I think if Orange wouldn't give you a Treo then you could send it to A Novo the Handspring Service centre and get it replaced under the 12 month warrantee. In which case Orange Care may not be that useful!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Don't think the Treo 600 will dissapear from Ebay for sometime to come. And I would expect the 600 cost to plummet when the 650 is released.

Just my two pennies!

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Well, just won a bid for one for 183 with some bluetooth headset I don't need (anyone wanna buy it? apparently the phone fits in some cradle to work it).

When I (finally) got through to Orange again this morning they told me technical support had mandated a replacement. Only trouble was, because 6 months had elapsed I would need to pay 100 plus subscribe to Orange Care for a year, or go to the manufacturer instead. Actually, I had no problem with that. What I did have a problem with is that a lunchtime I had a message from Donna to give her a call back (are you listening Donna?). What these people don't seem to realise is that "giving a call back" implied sitting on the phone for twenty minutes listening to their rubbish and religiously offensive Xmassy music which is interrupted every seventeen seconds by a loud and sincere apology from some lady who assures me they are doing their utmost to deal with my query ASAP. Anyway, when I eventually got through nobody could find Donna and the note she left suggested that all she'd been going to offer was what the other woman had offered two hours previously. So thanks, Donna. But don't ask me to "give you a call back" unless you've got something useful to say that I haven't heard before. I thought, why can't these guys just accept email like normal people? But I've realised that the phone helpline thing is actually a device to protect them from having to deal with customers. I could have dealt with all of this far more simply and effectively by email, but that isn't what Orange wants.

Um, anyway, how do I organise sending my phone to A Novo? Is that what happens if I go through support at palmone? Can I contact them directly? Once I've got my spare I'll be able to send it off and it won't be a problem if it takes a couple of weeks to turn round.

I don't feel totally anti-Orange over all this. I appreciate the Treo is a bit of flakey piece of hardware that they don't want to have to keep replacing. But their customer support processes are completely woeful.

- Dave
    I just thought id add ive been having the same problem (its been getting worse over the past 3 weeks) and after some testing it seems to happen most when my phones @ less that 50% charged. I too have a call out with tech support but have had no response time to get on the phone me thinks. Maybe they can put me on a trial for teh 650
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I looked at to some other posts before and I gather there is a problem with the battery connector. The machine would need replacing, it's just a question of whether it's covered or not.

How do I get mine to A Novo?

- Dave
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Dave,

A Novo telephone number is 01603 269 960. I believe that their email address is still handspring@a-novo.co.uk. Contact was Jon last time mine went back.

Hope this helps...

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Thanks.

I finally managed to get an email through to palmone and they said they would contact me to organise the return, so I'm hoping that will work out. Mind you, I haven't heard back yet....

- Dave
    Hi,

Really sorry to hear about your toubles with orange, I've got to say I am worried about getting a problem with mine as the sound is starting to get fuzzy.
    I've only ever sent one treo back and that was the 270, handspring were more than helpful and sent me a replacement back witihin the week, even though I didn't have a receipt and it was second hand.
    Hopefully they'll still be as helpful.

I have to ask what this bluetooth headset thing is, that was mentioned because I would be quite interested in getting bluetooth?

Email me at contactkdh at yahoo dot co dot uk ?

Again, best of luck.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've sent the 600 to palmOne under guarantee. We'll see how long it takes.

Headset is Jabra headset. It has a little blue tooth transmitter which you plug into the earpiece socket and that communicates with the headset. I think. I haven't studied it in detail.

- Dave