1.    #1  
    I found a link somewhere that said Orange was the only UK network with EDGE, but the article inferred that it wasn't available for customers to use (I don't understand what this means!).

Does anyone know whether EDGE is available on the Orange network, and if so, how the data charges compare to normal GPRS?

One argument I read for getting the Treo 650 rather than the PDA2K was that the former has EDGE. However, it seems to me that this is of no benefit in the UK.
    I work for att in the states and we have edge. It is alot faster, but it also depends how much bandwidth the allot for each radio
    I think Orange UK is currently upgrading all their Transmitters etc. to make EDGE available, but they haven't finished yet. In fact they've only covered major population centres so far. I think it's the same thing as 3G, in which case it is available, but there's only a couple of devices which can use it, like their 3G Laptop Card. I'm think it will become available properly next year.
    Animo et Fide
  4.    #4  
    I think the 3G on Orange is UMTS rather than GSM Edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    I think Orange UK is currently upgrading all their Transmitters etc. to make EDGE available, but they haven't finished yet. In fact they've only covered major population centres so far. I think it's the same thing as 3G, in which case it is available, but there's only a couple of devices which can use it, like their 3G Laptop Card. I'm think it will become available properly next year.
    I'm certainly no expert on this, but my understanding is that EDGE is an evolution of GSM/GPRS and UMTS (3G) is something new and very different. See here.
    I think you're probably right, wonder when we'll get a UMTS Treo then? I wants one! Hope that's in the 700 (or whatever)
    Animo et Fide
    Orange seems to see EDGE as a way of providing faster data services where it doesn't have UMTS, either country-wide (Romania and Slovakia) or for specific parts of a country (France). Link. It's not clear if there is EDGE on the Orange UK network.
    Just contacted Orange about this. This is the reply I got:

'Orange currently does not have an active EDGE network in the UK. Therefore, although the Treo 650 supports EDGE, you will not be able to access services via EDGE through Orange. You will of course, be able to use the Orange GPRS network.'