Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Yeah thats a worry, i'm starting to think that these may be further off than we think.

I must admit, although I would prefer to move to Orange (I'm on Voda at the moment) I'm seriously tempted to put my name down on Expansys for one on O2.
    It's still not in phones coming soon...
    Just asked a sales rep about the 650 in the Orange Store in the City today:

Apparently it was supposed to launch in March but was delayed due to "software problems". New launch date is now mid-April (as previously stated in other threads).

Very disappointing... when will they finally get it right the first time...?
    It is disappointing - I quite agree. The time lag between the US, the rest of Europe and when the UK finally gets the 650 is simply too big in a market moving as fast as cell phones/PDAs/smartphones.

One wonders if some reason for the delay and possibly "software problems" is Orange planting their own software on the Treo.

However, Expansys.co.uk do say "Estimated 7 Days", so if we are lucky the original date that someone mentioned of March 17th might still hold...
    Expansys arent avertising the Orange version though, they seem to be selling the network free standard version, which is available in other european countries. They have slipped the date though, they are now quoting 7 days which takes you to the 21st.
    Orange added a few software features to the Treo 600 and were a bit sluggish getting the product out of the door for when it was released over a year ago.

However their Action Engine and Push to Talk features are quite expensive to use.

I guess it's the same with the 650.

I would rather they release a standard Treo 650 GSM straight away but I think they like to play around with it before releasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by abookas
    Just asked a sales rep about the 650 in the Orange Store in the City today:

Apparently it was supposed to launch in March but was delayed due to "software problems". New launch date is now mid-April (as previously stated in other threads).

Very disappointing... when will they finally get it right the first time...?
    The "software problems" may also be the well documented problems in the first release of the Treo 650. The patch that PalmOne is preparing is going to be crucial meaning that all Treo 650 will need to be upgraded.

Orange may just have opted not to release the phone so close to the patch release date. That way the patch will be factory installed and Orange avoids customers having to call in Orange customer support to guide them through the upgrade process.
    Well lets hope palmOne get the patch out soon then, my P800 is in dire need of replacement, and I'm desperate to get back onto a PalmOS platform!
    u_m - you could well be right here. However, I really wish they would just get on and release the thing! I realise that treocentral members are not the norm, but I would rather have a little while without the latest patch just to get my hands on the phone!

Toby.
    Thanks to the2ofus at MTDN for spotting the 650 on the Orange UK web site:

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h...o_650/features

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h...reo_650/detail

'Coming soon'
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thank christ. Maybe I can order mine soon...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    Thanks to the2ofus at MTDN for spotting the 650 on the Orange UK web site:

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h...o_650/features

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h...reo_650/detail

'Coming soon'

GRRRRR! It seems so close, yet so far away!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  13.    #173  
    did anyone see the pics in this months macworld ? the 650 sports a pretty fancy looking launcher type thing with all the main apps down the left hand side, a bit like the favs page on the T5, looks quite different to the 600.
    my God! is it real? or did I just imagine it!? Could it be true??? will we see it soon?
    Anyone know the easiest way of unlocking the 650? Reading some of the other threads, it seems tha Yanks can get an unlock code over the phone with the service provider - u think Orange will do this?
    Can't imagine Orange would be so accomodating, especially having spent so long customising the phone.

Seems funny that there is speculation about a Treo 670 (albeit rumours with references to Windows Mobile) when we haven't got the 650 yet...!
    Just been informed by my Orange business account manager that the Treo 650 launch date has been put back to May.

So near, yet so far....
    Quote Originally Posted by Parm
    Just been informed by my Orange business account manager that the Treo 650 launch date has been put back to May.
    Well if this is true, I hope PalmOne will show some initiative and in short order release the 650 on their own and via resellers like Expansys. How can they hope to build a customer base in the UK with marketing like this? Clearly it's too much to expect a product in the same timeframe as the rest of the world and if that's the case with the 650 who is to say it won't be the case with the next Treo and the one after that? When PPC and Symbian get one-handed operation sorted (probable in the forthcoming WM2005 and UIQ 3 revisions), I for one will be looking at products running those OSs very closely.
    MarkC - totally agree with you

I think PalmOne will have lost themselves a lot of good will over this, particularly from those of us who have always liked their products for their simplicity and in part because they aren't Microsoft. To release the product in the rest of Europe but not here is ridiculous, and personally I would have been much happier if they'd have come clean on their roll-out plans last autumn. It would certainly have saved me 6 months of putting up with a knackered phone while waiting for the 650 to come out.

Never thought I'd say this, especially after my very bad experience with the first ever Orange SPV, but I might start looking at the PocketPC/Windows Mobile products in a bit more detail.....
    Good grief - how long do they need! I find this incredible when the rest of Europe has it. I can understand PalmOne wanting to partner with carriers (and indeed probably have little choice as the carriers have the power) but one would have thought that the deal breaker would have been the time it took to get the product to market...
    Two things from the palmOne conference call yesterday:

'For future products, the increased R&D budget will let palmOne customize Smartphones for carriers simultaneously instead of serially.'

Hurrah! I hope this means that the UK won't be left until last next time.

'A delay on a future (unannounced) smartphone product was also mentioned, although no specific information on the product was given...

Colligan also mentioned that future Treo products will utilize "UMTS, EVDO and the evolving WiFi networks" technology. "We are making investments in next generation radios."'

Could there be a UMTS (3G) Treo in the wings?

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/570-1.htm