Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Hey Everyone,

The treo 650 will eventually be available from Orange, but how do we all ensure we get the best deal? My worry is that the “give me an upgrade to the 650 or I’ll leave” argument wont work, as only Orange have the Treo 650 in the UK.

So what's the best way to proceed? This £4 loyalty thing sounds like a possibility, but do they have to phone you?

Those of you in regular correspondence with Orange - what do you suggest, hassle them now so that they know we're keen? Or just wait till it finally comes out & hope for the best?

Yours patiently,

60milesmile.
    Quote Originally Posted by 60milesmile
    Hey Everyone,

The treo 650 will eventually be available from Orange, but how do we all ensure we get the best deal? My worry is that the “give me an upgrade to the 650 or I’ll leave” argument wont work, as only Orange have the Treo 650 in the UK.
    You could point out to them that you could buy a 650 from Expansys with a Vodafone or O2 contract, e.g.:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=118630
    Isnt anyone else getting bored of waiting for this phone, i'm not sure how much longer I can hand on here. My P800 is really on it's last legs. Does anyone have any ideas of release dates on Orange?

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by pbutterworth
    Isnt anyone else getting bored of waiting for this phone, i'm not sure how much longer I can hand on here. My P800 is really on it's last legs. Does anyone have any ideas of release dates on Orange?

Paul
    I spoke to an Orange rep last week.
    They had a look at the various details on the 650 and said it was very strange that there was no release date in their paperwork.

What they did say was that Orange were the only mobile operator that had the 2 line option on their handsets and the testing of this might be where the problems had started.

But hell yes, I'm getting fed up too. At least I'm still really happy with my 600 which is still working 100%, so I'm not quite in the same boat as you.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Well do you want it with or without bugs? If Orange hold it back demanding bug fixes before release, do you really think Orange are being irresponsible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading
    Well do you want it with or without bugs? If Orange hold it back demanding bug fixes before release, do you really think Orange are being irresponsible?
    Quite right.
    If it is released with the memory problem fixed, then I will be very happy
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading
    It'll be like the 600: Get the phone on release, live with the bugs for a couple of months, upgrade the firmware when it's released (also ridding me of the Orange branding).

I fail to see why that wouldn't be preferable to me. I still have my 600 to fall back on if it all goes tits-up.
    Last edited by Richks; 04/21/2005 at 06:53 AM.
    Except lots of people taosted their 600's in the process, and Orange picked up the pieces.
    is anyone bothered about the 2-way thing though? i dont know anyone else who i call who is bothered about it / getting it so why not do the same as the rest of the world and release the damn thing!!! i dont understand why another operator like 02 cant pick it up and sell it as is...
    Bizarre, you would have though if Orange in switzerland were happy....
    Quote Originally Posted by pbutterworth

Paul
    My 600 got stolen in October. I thought I'd wait and the 650 was just around the corner (Orange was quick at releasing the 600 so I thought the 650 would be similar). PalmOne must have lost a lot of sales over the last 6 months in UK. Surely the only point in having an exclusive carrier arrangement is if that carrier actually releases your product. As it is no carrier has released it. Surely would have been better to offer it to all carriers at the same time with many times the sales
    Went to an Orange store yesterday. The rep said the latest news was that the T650 has been delayed until the end of May. But this time it would be finally released "for sure"!

There we got... may our patience last...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    That Expansys/ Vodaphone contract has just started to look appealing! Surely they can't delay it further!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    The horror! Just had a chat with Orange and their system information for the Treo 650 still states it has a 1.3MP camera! What hope do we have! Now no official release date from them.

If only Vodafone didn't have GPRS at £2.35 MB I'd change provider and buy through Expansys.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Bad, but not really surprising!
  17.    #217  
    I don't know why Orange appeared so keen to establish an exclusitivity deal with palmone for the treo 650 because they don't seem to that bothered about getting it on sale or pushing it...they were pretty quick getting the 600 out in October 2003 but are dragginbg their heels this time around. Isn't that now about 6 months since it was released in the US ?
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    I don't know why Orange appeared so keen to establish an exclusitivity deal with palmone for the treo 650 because they don't seem to that bothered about getting it on sale or pushing it...they were pretty quick getting the 600 out in October 2003 but are dragginbg their heels this time around. Isn't that now about 6 months since it was released in the US ?
    I don't know why PalmOne were so keen to establish an exclusivity deal with Orange. They could have had 4 X the carriers offering it = 4 (or several) times the sales...
    I have just unlocked my T600 from Orange. It cost £20 from Orange for the code. I know I could have downloaded an unlocked rom from MyTreo.net, but there is always a risk it could go wrong.

So now if Orange don't give a good price for upgrading to the T650, I can swop to another carrier on PAYG for a couple of months and then open a "new" account at Orange with my old number and get a new handset price from them as well

Or even go to another carrier offering a good new handset price
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    If only Vodafone didn't have GPRS at £2.35 MB I'd change provider and buy through Expansys.
    You don't have to pay £2.35 per MB with Voda if you opt for an extras pack.

This is the way it works. You can for instance buy a £14 extras pack. This gives you text, picture, video messaging, or GPRS data that would normally cost you £30. So if you used it all for text messages you'd get 250 messages (£30/0.12 = 250; usual cost of a text message = £0.12), i.e you'd getting text messages for 5.6 pence each. The same applies to data. If you used your extras pack for data only then you'd get 12.77 MB (£30/2.35; usual cost of data: £2.35/MB) but you're only paying £14 thus the cost per MB is £1.10. Much better!

There are several of these extras packs:

Cost of pack - usual value of services - data* - cost per MB*

£3 - £6 - 2.55 MB - £1.18
    £6 - £12 - 5.11 MB - £1.18
    £14 - £30 - 12.77 MB - £1.10
    £25 - £60 - 25.53 MB - £0.98
    £40 - £120 - 51.06 MB - £0.78

*This assumes you use the pack only for data, i.e. you send no text, picture or video messages. If you send messsages the amount of available data is reduced proportionately.

Things to note. The Voda web site says the extras packs are only for text, picture or video messaging. I've confirmed, however, both with Expansys and Voda customer service (when I found a CSR that new what he was talking about) that these packs can be used for data. More to the point, I have an itemised bill with lots of entries like this: 'INTERNET 152,678 BT - You pay: 0.000 - included in bundle'.

If you decide to go with Expansys you can add an extras pack at the time of purchase or you can do it via the Vodafone web site or customer services (191).

For comparison, here are Orange charges:

MB per month - cost per month - out of bundle cost

4 MB - £4.00 - £1 per MB

10 MB £8.00 - £0.80 per MB

25 MB - £16.00 - £0.70 per MB

80 MB - £41.13 - £0.65 per MB

400 MB - £52.88 - £0.59 per MB

Orange World Access Max - £88.13 - N/A*

* subject to a fair usage policy of 1000MB per month

Cheaper, but, in my experience, a much poorer service (slower, more failed connections).

Hope this helps.

PS Sorry I can't provide links to the Voda web site but I've only been able to get the info when logged into my account and the links wouldn't work.