Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just got my Treo 600 and a Rogers Data Plan. Unfortunately they don't have unlimited data and I'm confused about data roaming. It says on their site 3c/KB to the US, but I've heard of 1c/KB if you have a data plan.

I go to the US alot travelling and want to be able to access my data plan frequenctly ......... anyone know what the real rates are? Is there another plan I could buy from a US carrier to cover me?

Thanks,

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by bushie_40
    Hi,

I just got my Treo 600 and a Rogers Data Plan. Unfortunately they don't have unlimited data and I'm confused about data roaming. It says on their site 3c/KB to the US, but I've heard of 1c/KB if you have a data plan.

I go to the US alot travelling and want to be able to access my data plan frequenctly ......... anyone know what the real rates are? Is there another plan I could buy from a US carrier to cover me?

Thanks,

Paul
    Hi Paul,
    I use Fido's 50.00 CDN unlimited GPRS data plan (no contract). It covers all of North America that has GPRS networks with no additional roaming charges. No additional settings need to be done once the initial network setting is put in place.

I am not sure how this plan will be affected after Rogers buy out Fido. At the moment, I have both Rogers (voice and min data plan) and Fido (unlimited data plan).

-RC
    I think it is 3/kb in the US and 5/kb in other countries.
    Last edited by Kanuck; 09/27/2004 at 05:13 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by redcap
    Hi Paul,
    I use Fido's 50.00 CDN unlimited GPRS data plan (no contract). It covers all of North America that has GPRS networks with no additional roaming charges. No additional settings need to be done once the initial network setting is put in place.

I am not sure how this plan will be affected after Rogers buy out Fido. At the moment, I have both Rogers (voice and min data plan) and Fido (unlimited data plan).

-RC
    Red Cap,

Do you use two sim cards and switch them for each service?

Paul
    Red Cap,

Do you use two sim cards and switch them for each service?

Paul
    Hi Paul,
    That is correct. When I am in Toronto, I mainly use my Rogers' SIM for voice and email/verichat (since I am on the 3MB data plan). When I am surfing the Internet or use Shoutcast on Ptunes, I use my Fido SIM. I also use the same Fido SIM on a PCMCIA GPRS Wireless Card and pop it into my laptop. Thus, I have full Internet/Email access on laptop (mainly use this for streaming online stock quotes/trading).

When I go to the US, I just add the cheapest voice plan onto my Fido SIM. The cost is like 20 cents per minute for long distance calling. I forward my Rogers' cell number to my Fido cell number. Since both cell numbers are a 416 local number, there is no roaming cost for call forwarding.

I hope this helps,
    -RC
    Rogers roaming in the US for data and voice is ridiculous. I just got my bill and it was 10 cents a kilotbyte for US data roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Rogers roaming in the US for data and voice is ridiculous. I just got my bill and it was 10 cents a kilotbyte for US data roaming.
    Since they say 3 cents, you should challenge them on this. If you receive some new policy, can you post it or provide a link?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanuck
    Since they say 3 cents, you should challenge them on this. If you receive some new policy, can you post it or provide a link?
    I don't think that's right. If you have a Rogers Data Plan, the charge should be 1c per KB, at least that is what they told me last week before I went to the US.

Paul
  9.    #9  
    Hi Paul,
    That is correct. When I am in Toronto, I mainly use my Rogers' SIM for voice and email/verichat (since I am on the 3MB data plan). When I am surfing the Internet or use Shoutcast on Ptunes, I use my Fido SIM. I also use the same Fido SIM on a PCMCIA GPRS Wireless Card and pop it into my laptop. Thus, I have full Internet/Email access on laptop (mainly use this for streaming online stock quotes/trading).

When I go to the US, I just add the cheapest voice plan onto my Fido SIM. The cost is like 20 cents per minute for long distance calling. I forward my Rogers' cell number to my Fido cell number. Since both cell numbers are a 416 local number, there is no roaming cost for call forwarding.

I hope this helps,
    -RC
    Thanks. Curious ..... why do you have Rogers service at all then?

Paul
    Thanks. Curious ..... why do you have Rogers service at all then?

Paul
    Rogers' voice is much better quality than Fido's becuz they use quad band networks. I have been with Rogers' for almost 10 years now and received a good hardware upgrade deal. I initially got the flat rate unlimited data package from Fido for my PCMCIA GPRS wireless card. Since I unlocked my Treo, using my Fido SIM card is just an added bonus. I purchased an extra SIM tray from PalmOne, thus making it easy to swap SIM cards.

-RC
  11.    #11  
    Rogers' voice is much better quality than Fido's becuz they use quad band networks. I have been with Rogers' for almost 10 years now and received a good hardware upgrade deal. I initially got the flat rate unlimited data package from Fido for my PCMCIA GPRS wireless card. Since I unlocked my Treo, using my Fido SIM card is just an added bonus. I purchased an extra SIM tray from PalmOne, thus making it easy to swap SIM cards.

-RC
    Unfortunately FIDO has next to nil coverage in Atlantic Canada :-(

Paul
  12.    #12  

-RC
    Redcap, how did you unlock the treo? I'm thinking of doing something similar to you in swapping the SIM cards, but I'm still trying to figure out how to receive incoming calls when I'm using the data card (forwarding?).

Paul
    Just do a search on unlocking GSM Treo600. I am pretty sure you will find a lot of hits.
    Unfortunately FIDO has next to nil coverage in Atlantic Canada :-(

Paul
    That may soon change as Rogers bought Fido. Most likely they will integrate both networks into one. When I use my Rogers SIM, I sometime get Microcell as my network connection. But when I use my Fido SIM, I always get Fido network. According to Rogers FAQ, there will be no roaming charges when connected to Microcell's network.
  15.    #15  
    When you use the Fido SIM card, you just forward your Rogers number to it? What exactly happens let's say if you are roaming long distance or to the US?

Paul
    Redcap, what is ur email, i would also like to unlock my rogers treo 600 and move to fido, thanx.
  17.    #17  
    redcap, which pcmcia wireless card do you have?
    When you use the Fido SIM card, you just forward your Rogers number to it? What exactly happens let's say if you are roaming long distance or to the US?

Paul
    Long distance charges will be applied to the account in which all calls are being call forwarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis2005
    Redcap, what is ur email, i would also like to unlock my rogers treo 600 and move to fido, thanx.
    PM with your email address. I will send you the two files and the instructions on how to unlock your Treo600 (only).
    redcap, which pcmcia wireless card do you have?
    I am using Merlin G100 PCMCIA GPRS Wireless Card by Novatel Wireless.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast