1.    #1  
    I'm aware that Korea and Japan have CDMA 2000, so our gsm phones won't work, but i know their are hybrid phones that will take a gsm sim chip, and will work in Korea and Japan, as long as your provider has agreements there... what's the make and model of these phones and how much do they cost? I think Tmobile will rent you a phone for use in Japan, but they won't sell it. Also, if I wanted to get a local phone number for Korea and Japan, how does it work? do they have prepaid phones or do I have to apply for credit and get an account?
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiNNuTS
    I'm aware that Korea and Japan have CDMA 2000, so our gsm phones won't work, but i know their are hybrid phones that will take a gsm sim chip, and will work in Korea and Japan, as long as your provider has agreements there... what's the make and model of these phones and how much do they cost? I think Tmobile will rent you a phone for use in Japan, but they won't sell it. Also, if I wanted to get a local phone number for Korea and Japan, how does it work? do they have prepaid phones or do I have to apply for credit and get an account?
    Partial answers to your questions -
    In Japan: Service provideroCoMo Handset: Motorola A835
    Service provider: J Phone Handset: Nokia 6650

In Korea: Service provider KTF Handset: WPH 1211 (I have no idea who makes this. I am just quoting what my local service provider in India has recommended)

In all cases you have to rent the handsets from the service providers. It does not seem possible to by these handsets (At least that is what my local service provider says) - In Japan you will find the rental booths for both DoCoMo and J Phone at Narita airport (Tokyo) in the arrival area.
    Satish Joshi
    Quote Originally Posted by smjoshi
    Partial answers to your questions -
    In Japan: Service provideroCoMo Handset: Motorola A835
    Service provider: J Phone Handset: Nokia 6650

In Korea: Service provider KTF Handset: WPH 1211 (I have no idea who makes this. I am just quoting what my local service provider in India has recommended)

In all cases you have to rent the handsets from the service providers. It does not seem possible to by these handsets (At least that is what my local service provider says) - In Japan you will find the rental booths for both DoCoMo and J Phone at Narita airport (Tokyo) in the arrival area.
    This is funny. The first service provider mentioned above is Do Co Mo . for some reason in the earlier post the "Do" got automatically changed to the "Big Grin" graphic!!
    Satish Joshi