1.    #1  
    Hello. My wife and I are going to be moving to the UK sometime in the next few months. Unfortunately, our Sprint Treos will be useless over there, so we're going to have to buy new GSM ones with a new provider.

So, is Orange the only option if we want to go with the Treo 600? Also, any hints or tips regarding mobile purchases overseas? Thanks!
    Orange is the only carrier for the Treo here, yes.
    Tip: the price structuring is quite different here so here's what to do, work out which talk-plan gives you the best discount on price (probably quite a dear one) get that and then change it within the first month for one you'll actually use. GPRS data bundles do NOT automatically come in the plan, so make sure you get what you need.
    Animo et Fide
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Pete. Next question: according to Orange's site, they give away Treos with service contracts. Is this really true? I assume this wouldn't be an unlocked Treo, but does that really matter?

I'll be traveling back to the states at least 3 or 4 times a year on business and will need to continue using the phone for calls back to the UK, as well as local calls in the US. And I'd like to continue using data for Email and webbrowsing. For those purposes, should I try to get an unlocked phone?
    You can only buy the phone with a 12 month contract from Orange. You might be able to get an unlocked one from an independent retailer, I'm not sure. Not sure what you mean by a service contract either? Btw if you take the option of getting a high costing talk plan you can only change it the next month if you buy from the internet site (www.orange.co.uk), if you buy from anywhere else you might get it for free but you can only change your plan after 3 months.
    Animo et Fide
  5.    #5  
    Peter, by serivce contract, I meant what you said (12 month contract).

So could you explain to me why I might want an unlocked Treo? I see 'em for sale all he time on Ebay for around 5 or 6 hundred, US. Why would I want to get one if Orange is going to give me one for free (if I sign up for 12 months, that is)? Since I'm going to use the phone for 12 months anyway, and pay for service, I don't see why I wouldn't just get the phone for free in the first place.

What are the advantages of an unlocked phone then? Thanks again!
    The Treo is only free on the higher tarrifs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rahdo
    Peter, by serivce contract, I meant what you said (12 month contract).

So could you explain to me why I might want an unlocked Treo? I see 'em for sale all he time on Ebay for around 5 or 6 hundred, US. Why would I want to get one if Orange is going to give me one for free (if I sign up for 12 months, that is)? Since I'm going to use the phone for 12 months anyway, and pay for service, I don't see why I wouldn't just get the phone for free in the first place.

What are the advantages of an unlocked phone then? Thanks again!
    An unlocked phone means that you can use any sim card in it. I've never really seen the point myself, but some people like the freedom.

I've just been to the orange website and yes, the Treo is free with a 25/month contract! If you get it from the website you will be able to change the monthly charge after 1 month.
    Animo et Fide
  8.    #8  
    Peter, thanks again for the info!! I'm guessing the only real advantage to being able to switch sims is in case you travel a lot? If you go to Italy or the US or where ever for 2 weeks, you can buy a local sim card with X hours on it, and use that instead of racking up roaming charges through your original service provider (Orange in this case). Your number would change in the short term, but you'd still presumably save money in the long run.

Plus, presumably, you could switch to another service provider altogether? Is this true?

Any unlocked fans out there who can confirm this?
    If you head over to mytreo.net they have a patch to unlock the Orange Treo. It's in a *very* long thread, which I haven't bothered reading cos I don't want to unlock, but you should be able to get the phone for free off Orange and then unlock it to use any SIM (rather than buying an expensive no-network Treo). And yes, this means that you can use a different service provider altogether when you're back in the US.
    This isn't encouraged by Orange for obvious reasons, but technically you own the handset and they own the SIM card, so whatever you do to the handset is fine (although you may void warranties, but I don't think they'd check that kind of thing in the event of a replacement).
    Another tip, don't know if this is better than Sprint, but Orange offer an insurance scheme called 'Care', if you need a replacement it will be couriered to you within 24 hours. If you call in the morning you can get it the same evening. There is a charge for each 'event' similar to an excess, but they waive the fee sometimes. Well worth it, IMO.
    Animo et Fide
    Hi
    I've just had my 'Orange contract' treo 600 unlocked from unlockitnow.com it cost 70 US dollars including firmware upgrade 3.05. The whole process took 45 minutes. I'm now able to make calls with my VODAFONE and also O2 PAY AS YOU GO simcards with no problems. You can get GPRS settings from VODAFONE & O2 webbsite. If you dont mind having a new number you could keep your sprint treos. In fact you can use treos 600 almost anywhere on this planet of ours as it's Quadband.
    PS : when you move to the UK dont forget to bring your umbrella
  11. smn
    Hiya

I bought an unlocked plain gsm treo 600.I have 2 sim cards already, a work and a private one and wanted to use both. The treo cost 360, which is 30 per month for a year. If I'd got an orange one, I'd have had another phone number, and couldn't have used my old cards in it. The one I've got is the most up to date, and I haven't had to change my firmware or mess about with unlock codes,etc. wherever i go in the world (if I go anywhere!) I can use it with no worries. I had tought of getting one on orange, I'm really glad I didn't now. I got it from www.macwarehouse.co.uk
  12.    #12  
    Manou, the Sprint phones are CDMA. Surely they can't be converted to GSM phones, can they?

So, since I don't have any sim cards already (don't even know what Vodafone and O2 are), seems like it makes sense to just get one of the Orange ones for free from their website with a minimum monthly commitment, and if I ever need altnernate sim cards, just get the phone modded at that time. I'm sure it invalidates my warrantee, but since I got the phone for free, not too bad a trade there.

Thanks again for the info, everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by rahdo
    Peter, thanks again for the info!! I'm guessing the only real advantage to being able to switch sims is in case you travel a lot? If you go to Italy or the US or where ever for 2 weeks, you can buy a local sim card with X hours on it, and use that instead of racking up roaming charges through your original service provider (Orange in this case). Your number would change in the short term, but you'd still presumably save money in the long run.

Plus, presumably, you could switch to another service provider altogether? Is this true?

Any unlocked fans out there who can confirm this?
    I travel extensively, and have used my unlocked GSM T600 all over. In my case the advantage is that I have several prepaid sim cards. Since I'm usually calling back to the US, I find that it is cheaper to not use roaming charges. Also, for a little more effort, I use a ringback service (e.g. you call a trigger number, hangup, it calls you back and you dial your number). The advantage to this is that inbound calls are usually at no cost to mobiles in Europe. I pay between $.40 and$.50 /minute back to the US and don't have to worry about recharging the pay as you go SIM since this service is billed direct to my charge card.

That all being said, since you're going to be living in the UK, the question is moot. You're going to pick a provider, and then use it primarily for local calls. If you're going to call the US, I would recommend you look at a ringback provider for cheaper calls (www.gphone.com). If you don't like Orange, you might want to buy an unlocked phone and go with Vodafone or T-Mobile UK, etc.

I have heard that after a period if you are a customer in good standing with Orange that they will provide an unlock code. I would recommend this if you go Orange. This way, if after you end your contract and can get a better deal with a competitor, you're free to take the phone with you. I've used mine with Vodafone and O2, and have had no problems with either carrier. (About the only problem is using Meteor in Ireland, as they will not help with getting GPRS working, however it is ok for voice).

Good luck!