Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I've got what seems to be a pretty simple question, but no one at Palm or AT&T or anywhere else can give me a straight answer.

I am a US resident. I plan on spending three months next year in Australia and New Zealand.

While in Australia / New Zealand, I need to be able to access email / web from my Treo 600. I understand that I should get an "unlocked GSM" version.

Ok...

But then what? Do I subscribe with an Australian provider for those 3 months? Do I use a "prepaid SIM"? From what I understand, none of these SIMs allow for data access?

Would be greatful if someone could please help me out here. You'd think this sort of thing would be fairly common, but no one seems to have an answer.

Thanks
    I would say a new sim connected to one of the 3 compatible telicos in Australia:
    Telstra
    Vodaphone
    Optus

I have only ever used Telstra so can't vouch for the others. They have plans but your only here for 3 months and can be had for that short of time. So your stuck with prepaid which is as follows on Telstra:

for details on GPRS go to
    http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/info/gprs.htm

for details on Prepaid go to
    http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/mob...paid/index.htm

for details on Prepaid Plus go to
    http://www.telstraprepaidplus.com.au/

for wap details go to
    https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/pr.../whatiswap.cfm
    this includes links to the other pages on it.

Hope this helps.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

You might also be able to global roaming from your US provider. You set that up with AT&T and when you get here you will roam on Telstra's mobile network. (telstra is AT&T's partner in Australia) All charges are back to your US account. You even keep your US cell number.

For Mobile Internet setup and pricing see here
    http://telstra.com.au/mobile/product...leinternet.htm

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFranklin
    But then what? Do I subscribe with an Australian provider for those 3 months? Do I use a "prepaid SIM"? From what I understand, none of these SIMs allow for data access?
    I know your pain. I often spend several months a year in Australia and New Zealand (among the other places in Asia that I roam).

First of all, make sure you buy the "unlocked gsm" version of the Treo 600. Cingular provides an unlocked version, PalmOne provides an unlocked version but AT&T does not provide one (theirs only supports their SIM card). The locked phone will limit your options on service in Australia and New Zealand to roaming on AT&T partners (this can be expensive). NZ and Australia also have CDMA networks (like Sprint or Verizon), but it is difficult to roam on them and this limits your options.

Once you have your phone, you have a choice to make: buy a local pre-paid, get a local post-paid contract or roam on your US provider. Here are the pros and cons of each.

PRE-PAID: You buy a cheap pre-paid SIM in Australia or New Zealand which is charged with a set amount of money. You can recharge the SIM easily and keep the same phone number (I've had the same phone number with my Telstra pre-paid SIM for 4 years now). You can get started on this route for about AUD$60 or so (SIM + some credit). Per minute talk rates are kinda high (I think Telstras is AUD$0.40/min) but this isn't too bad compared to US roaming rates. This also gives you a local number, which is great for people you are working with in Australia/NZ, but bad for your friends in the US who want to call. This is a really good option for short trips, but may get expensive in the long run due to the higher per-minute phone charges. This probably doesn't work for you since none of the pre-paid vendors that I know allow for GPRS access on their pre-paid network.

Telstra (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/index.htm?tR=3) is starting to allow some (They have a MMS service for pre-paid) so check with them when you get there, in case they've turned it on. Telstra has started to more actively promote 3g services, so you might see something towards the end of 2004 . . .

If you go this route, make sure that you pre-paid roams between Australia and New Zealand. Vodaphone (http://www.vodafone.com.au/) does, Telstra does not (last time I tried). I use Telstra in Australia, but Vodaphone in New Zealand (I don't want to give up my Australia phone number that all my friends know).

POST-PAID: This solves all your needs (GPRS access) but might be too expensive. All of the major vendors (Hutchinson 3, Vodaphone and Telstra) offer GPRS services and prices are reasonable. However, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $none$ $of$ $them$ $offer$ $unlimited$ $GPRS$ $data$ $like$ $Cingular$ $or$ $T$-$Mobile$ $do$ $here$ $in$ $the$ $US$. $Hutchinson$ $3$ (http://three.com.au/) touts themselves as the best 3G data vendor.

The problem here will be the contract lock-in period. I think most vendors want a 12 - 24 month commitment. However, it looks like Vodaphone might have a decent plan -- called "no plan" -- that doesn't have a lock-in period. However, I don't know about Vodaphones GPRS coverage / access, so you should investigate that.

ROAMING: You can just keep you US phone number and roam in Australia and New Zealand. You can probably get GPRS service in both countries, as long as you stay in the major areas (Wellington/Auckland in NZ, capital cities in Australia). ATT, Cingular and T-Mobile all roam in Australia / NZ. I believe they all have GPRS roaming contracts also (I've tested my Cingular access in Australia and it works). Roaming works well when I've used it.

The downside here is cost. Roaming talk time is about US$0.99/min at the cheapest (Cingular is US$1.99+ !!!). GPRS roaming may also be very, very expensive. This gets very expensive very fast -- My friends that do this often run up US$1000+ phone bills per month. Check with your US operator about this. ATT has decent roaming rates (okay not decent but probably the best). Be sure to talk to your operator before you leave so that they enable "global roaming" on your account -- it is usually turned off to prevent fraud.

Another point is to consider is you have a US number. This is good for friends in the US (as they dial a local number to get you in Sydney), but bad for your mates in Australia who are trying to call you to catch a pint at the pub (who are dialing back to the US).

Having given you all this information, What do I do ? I use a Telstra pre-paid card in Australia, my Vodaphone pre-paid in NZ and don't have GPRS access. When I do need GRPS access, I pop in my Cingular (U.S.) SIM and roam for data access to my email.

If I were you, I would investigate the possibly of a short lock-in period post pay plan for Vodaphone, Hutchinson 3, Optus or Telstra. Go into their stores and talk to the sales people about your problem -- there is a large ex-pat community in Sydney so they will understand. You might find something there . . . if not, you are probably in the same boat as I am.

cheers
    I see about four months have passed since the last reply in this thread, and as more and more providers around the world seem to start offering GPRS to their Prepaid customers, I want to try my luck:

I'm leaving for Perth this week. Are there any mobile providers in Australia now (Dec 04) that offer GPRS to their Prepaid customers so that I can retrieve and send email on my Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Proboscis
    I see about four months have passed since the last reply in this thread, and as more and more providers around the world seem to start offering GPRS to their Prepaid customers, I want to try my luck:

I'm leaving for Perth this week. Are there any mobile providers in Australia now (Dec 04) that offer GPRS to their Prepaid customers so that I can retrieve and send email on my Treo?
    Vodafone does not: "However, Prepay customers will not be able to connect to GPRS Plans and use the other "regular" GPRS services such as described above." See here for the gory details.

I don't believe Telstra does either -- they are supposed to email me when they do and I haven't received anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proboscis

Hmmm . . . Three appears to have something for data services. See here for details on there data services. They do list emails (and free until the end of the year !) . . .
    While this is not relavent to prepay, you can now get GPRS data included in some of the AU$79 capped plans. So you get up to $500 a month including calls, mms, sms & gprs.
    Makes it much cheaper than buying datapacks or roaming

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingBrad
    While this is not relavent to prepay, you can now get GPRS data included in some of the AU$79 capped plans. So you get up to $500 a month including calls, mms, sms & gprs.
    Makes it much cheaper than buying datapacks or roaming
    How long is the commitment ? If I could get this a month at a time this would be great, but most companies wanted 1 or 2 year contract.
    The Optus $79 capped plan is available on a month to month basis so no minimum contract commitment. See www.optus.com.au click on $79 plan and read terms & conditions in detail. $79 capped plan is way down the bottom
    Vodafone's $79 capped plan is also available without contract commitment.
    Only Telstra's capped plan has a commitment and it also does not include GPRS data, so you know which one you won't be choosing.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Just an update on this....that Vodafone now offer an unlimited data plan for AUD$49.95 per month. This includes some voice calls, but I am not sure of how much. The 'unlimited' plan is really a fair use policy....because we have only unlocked Treos in Australia....if you go over 500MB they may consider that you are using the phone with a laptop and I am not sure but maybe they would give you a warning or cancel the service.
    Using a prepaid sim card is easy. All it takes is a few minutes, some quick and easy steps, and you’re on your way to using your cell phone. Slip the ready-to-use SIM card into your prepaid cell phone in order to save, personalize and protect your digital memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aabrianlgrice View Post
    Using a prepaid sim card is easy. All it takes is a few minutes, some quick and easy steps, and you’re on your way to using your cell phone. Slip the ready-to-use SIM card into your prepaid cell phone in order to save, personalize and protect your digital memory.
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
    Last edited by johncc; 04/25/2012 at 05:33 AM.
    Talk about thread resurrections, I'm traveling to Australia next month with my unlocked ATT Pre3 and need data and Australian phone access for 4-days. A few questoins:

1. Will my Unlocked ATT Pre3 work in Australia (phone & data)?
    1a. And if yes, what data rates can I expect to get?

2. Any suggestions for a plan/provider to purchase?
    2a. Costs?
    2b. Link to provider?

3. Will I be able to buy a SIM at the Brisbane Airport upon landing?
    3a. If yes, do you know who sells them at the airport?

Thanks very much in advance for anyone who can help provide some intel.
    Quote Originally Posted by mypalmpred View Post
    Talk about thread resurrections, I'm traveling to Australia next month with my unlocked ATT Pre3 and need data and Australian phone access for 4-days. A few questoins:

1. Will my Unlocked ATT Pre3 work in Australia (phone & data)?
    1a. And if yes, what data rates can I expect to get?

2. Any suggestions for a plan/provider to purchase?
    2a. Costs?
    2b. Link to provider?

3. Will I be able to buy a SIM at the Brisbane Airport upon landing?
    3a. If yes, do you know who sells them at the airport?

Thanks very much in advance for anyone who can help provide some intel.
    "G'day Cobber!"

All goes to prove no thread is ever dead!

1). Yes. Combo SIM card Data + Phone. I use Telstra on my unlocked AT&T Pre3 no problem.
    1a). Check out 'Telstra' & 'Optus' & 'Vodafone' as the main, fastest & most reliable carriers
    Then there is 'Virgin' & 'Amaysim' etc for cheaper (more congested) action!
    (If your going 'Out Bush' at all, then 'Telstra' have the best overall national coverage by area.)

All 2's + 1a). Go here and check it ALL out: Prepaid Mobile Plans | Prepaid Mobile Broadband Plans | Mobile Plans A vast wealth of info & choice here.

3+3a). Dunno.. never been to Brissy Airport personally.. but 99.99% Yes.. at some foyer in the foyer of the main foyer - no doubt at all!

Have a great trip mate!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/16/2013 at 12:47 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Thanks very much, mate. Looks like I'll need a Telstra plan as I'll be in the bush behind Mt Warning in northern-NSW. Great to hear my phone will work.... I'm just loving my upgrade from my old Pre2.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I use Telstra on my unlocked AT&T Pre3 no problem.
    Hey Mutoidi

Do you have the issue where the Pre3 reboots after the 3G data has been idle and then data access is attempted?

This is a common issue on Telstra and I had it while I was using a Pre3, but not now I'm back on the Veer.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    Hey Mutoidi

Do you have the issue where the Pre3 reboots after the 3G data has been idle and then data access is attempted?

This is a common issue on Telstra and I had it while I was using a Pre3, but not now I'm back on the Veer.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I recall that discussion here and haven't experienced that glitch personally yet.. although for the last few months I have actually been running a Telstra data-only SIM in the Pre3 anyway - and it has been fine.
    A friend runs 'Amaysim' in their Pre3, also on 2.2.4 and that certainly has had no such probs ~ so far.
    It was thought to be a Pre3 modem issue wasn't it?

Cheers,
    Mutoidi.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    bought a Telstra SIM activation kit at 7/11 for $2 and then charged it up... worked great in the Northern NSW hinterland.

By the way, my usa T-Mobile service worked on Optus, but rates were high.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast