Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was pleased to hear the Virgin Mobile now have GPRS (Fast WAP) available. They charge at 0.5p per Kb.

    However, I can't get it to work with my Treo 600. I have the GPRS 'triangle', and Virgin gave me the following settings:

    - Address (Depending on handset)
    193.030.166.003 or 193.030.166.004
    - Username
    user
    - Password
    (Leave blank)
    -Homepage
    http://www.virgin.com/mobile/wap/
    -Access Point
    goto.virginmobile.uk
    -Port Number / IP Port
    (If needed)
    9201 or 8080

    Is there anyone else using Virgin who has got this working?
  2. #2  
    This looks like a WAP protocol gateway to me. Blazer doesn't support WAP (only WML markup). Have you tried to do anything other than connect to the WAP server?
  3. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
       #3  
    It won't connect at all. I get an error message after a few seconds when I press 'connect' in the network section of Prefs.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    It won't connect at all. I get an error message after a few seconds when I press 'connect' in the network section of Prefs.
    Have you ticked the boxes in "details/advanced" page for automatic IP address assignment and Query DNS? These are normally checked to allow the network to assign these values but might not be set in your case as Virgin is probably not in the carriers definitions in the Treo. This initial prefs/network page should be setup with a service name (you make it up), "GPRS" as the connection, "user" as the user name, password unassigned and the apn set to "goto.virginmobile.uk". All of the other stuff is about WAP (not GPRS) and is needed by your WAP browser (Blazer isn't one).

    If you connect try Blazer with the url "www.google.com/palm". If it still errors let us know what the error says.
  5. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
       #5  
    All I have done differently (following your suggestion) is to specify automatic IP address assignment.

    The error reads:
    Error: GPRS connection not available. Check your settings in network Prefernces and/or try again later. (0x7143)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    All I have done differently (following your suggestion) is to specify automatic IP address assignment.

    The error reads:
    Error: GPRS connection not available. Check your settings in network Prefernces and/or try again later. (0x7143)
    If the GPRS triangle is present and the APN is entered correctly then you should get service. You might try turning wireless off and on again to clear any bits left over from previous attempts (if you haven't already) or even a soft reset. This error apparently does occasionally appear as a temporary fault but I've only seen it when I've buggered up the setup. Who is the actual carrier for Virgin brand?

    Beck
  7. #7  
    T-mobile is the carrier for Virgin. They had a big court bust up in January;

    http://www.pmn.co.uk/20040129virgin.shtml
  8. #8  
    I've successfuly got my Treo 600 working on Virgn Mobile UK GPRS - details are at http://www.ngate.freeserve.co.uk/treovirgin.html

    The basic problem is that Virgin "support" don't really understand the information they're handing out!
    (that and the fact that only 3 or 4 ports are open on the Virgin virtual network)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99
    I've successfuly got my Treo 600 working on Virgn Mobile UK GPRS - details are at http://www.ngate.freeserve.co.uk/treovirgin.html

    The basic problem is that Virgin "support" don't really understand the information they're handing out!
    (that and the fact that only 3 or 4 ports are open on the Virgin virtual network)
    Setting the proxy info into Blazer should be enough now to get Stig going. My hat is off to you.

    Beck
  10. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99
    I've successfuly got my Treo 600 working on Virgn Mobile UK GPRS - details are at http://www.ngate.freeserve.co.uk/treovirgin.html

    The basic problem is that Virgin "support" don't really understand the information they're handing out!
    (that and the fact that only 3 or 4 ports are open on the Virgin virtual network)
    Angus, thanks for your information here. I've got it working fine now!

    I LOVE this community
  11. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
       #11  
    To use the new Virgin Bites service, you can use the following URL

    http://kevxml.infospace.com/_1_SOTIV....xhtml?id=home

    Sorry it's so long!

    To use this service via GPRS (Fast Wap) is free until 31/1/2005.

Posting Permissions