1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I just got my Treo 600 hooked up with rogers but with NO data access plan. My question is this: Rogers has a 'navigate' WAP service which provides basic WAP connectivity to phones at a lower cost (0.05/KB).

Does anyone know if the treo 600 can use this service and avoid paying $25 (!!) for 3MB on their data service?

The dumb free phones get this as pay-per-use by default, but my treo can't seem to connect. I show "GRPS" connected on my phone but any attempt to visit

http://www.mymobilehomepage.rogers.com results in a timeout!

Thanks for any help!
    I think you need to subscribe to a data plan.
    if u can afford a treo 600, u can afford a data plan!
    You need a data plan to use GPRS.

Also, WAP pages are only marginally supported by the Blazer Web browser, and there is no installable WAP browser that works consistently well on the Treo (you can search TreoCentral for more discussion of that problem). Accessing the Rogers Navigate systems requires a true WAP browser.

Without GPRS access, you've got a phone and PDA combination. If you want Internet access also (and that includes WAP, incidentally), you need a data plan.
    Last edited by mercer; 07/30/2004 at 01:00 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Originally Posted by mercer
    You need a data plan to use GPRS. Without GPRS access, you've got a phone and PDA combination. If you want Internet access also (and that includes WAP, incidentally), you need a data plan.
    Whoops, this is not strictly true. You can establish a PPP connection using the Treo phone to connect to an ISP, and access the Internet that way. It's very, very slow, though. See here for a recent discussion, and else where at TC for more info. My understanding is that Softick PPP is popular.