Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I am going over on my expensive GPRS package and not using my free CSD WAP bundle at all. Mostly all I do is email. I have 240 CSD minutes going to waste every month.

I don't want to try anything too tricky that may break the set-up I currently have working, but is there a way I can use CSD for email and keep my GPRS for the rare occasions I want to browse something? (I don't really know what CSD is.)

Currently I am using a POP/IMAP server to receive mail and an Orange account I set up to send mail. I could use dial-up access if this was the way forward.

Is there an easy way to do this? I don't really want to have to change network connections every time I want to use the browser.

Thanks

- Dave
    CSD=circuit switched data and is basically equivilent to dial up internet connection. This is a lot slower than GPRS, I seem to remember reading in the T&Cs that you can use either GPRS or CSD, if you want to use CSD ring Orange (150) and tell them to activate it for you, I think they will then turn off your GPRS.

You can just setup a dial up network connection (select 'new' under network preferences) and type in an ISPs settings. I used the same Freeserve settings I use on my home PC and it worked fine. I thought I could use my unused voice minutes to surf the net. The buggers charged me 10p a minute and you can't use your voice minutes for data
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Thanks.

I do seem to have some free CSD in my bundle which I am not using and have bought an additional GPRS package.

Is there a dial-in service to Orange itself? I.e. can I use Orange as my ISP? What is the number? I have already set up an Orange internet account which I can use for email. I use the Orange SMTP server for my outgoing email. So, can I set up CSD to dial in to Orange, then access a distant POP3 account from there and use the Orange SMTP server?

I've got another server I could dial in to but I think it would be a bit slow. And I'm not sure if I'd still be able to use the Orange SMTP server if I'd come in from elsewhere and I don't want to have to keep switching servers.

Thanks

- Dave
    I'd ring orange and double check whether they will bill you for CSD, I to have CSD minutes listed as unused on my bill but I am only allowed to use 200 minutes CSD or 3MB GPRS, not both. I'm lucky I only made 30 minutes of CSD use if I'd used the full 200 minutes I would of been wacked witha 20 charge instead of the extra 3 I had to cough up. I don't know if Orange can act as an ISP I only have experience of freeserve (wanadoo)
    Dave

I don't think I'm doing quite the same thing as you are asking about, but I was lucky enough to get my Treo before Orange pulled the old Open Access package (10MB for 4 a month).

However, what I am doing is using the Orangewap APN rather than Orangeinternet. Orange tech support were insistent that I wouldn't be able to do anything with this (even browse) but it seems to work fine for browsing and email. The only thing I can't get to work is IM applications like Chatter and Verichat.

Have you looked at GopherKing (www.gopherking.com) for email? It works very well in Blazer and you can set it up to check all your POP accounts (it even seems to let you send mail OUT from some accounts). You can also use it for browsing and posting to Usenet. It isn't free but you can get a 14 day free trial I think.

Mark
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Sorry, I don't think I understand. What advantage would APN have over Orangeinternet? So far as I can see they are both GPRS so I would pay the same for both? Again, I don't really know what APN is.

- Dave
    Sorry Dave, I didn't explain myself very well.

APN I believe stands for Access Point Name and is specified in the network settings. So OrangeWap and OrangeInternet are both APN's but there is obviously some difference between them. I'm not sure what that difference is but I'm sure someone around here will be able to help us both out on that one!

The old Open Access package that I have alllows me up to 10MB of 'WAP' access. Now, I think you're right that both of the APN's I've mentioned are GPRS, however my package only allows me to use OrangeWap. If I use OrangeWap I get 10MB each month, if I use OrangeInternet at all at any point they seem to charge me by the MB, with no free allowance whatsoever (as I discovered to my cost in my first month).

This leads me to believe that there must be some performance advantage, or different functionality, associated with the OrangeInternet APN. The point I was trying to make (quite badly!), was that it's worth trying everything once you're connected through the CSD WAP connection because I suppose it might just work.

As I said, Orange tech support have told me on more than one occasion that there is no possible way for me to browse using Blazer through the OrangeWap APN because it's incompatible. They also told me that there was no way that the Treo email application would work either. Since I have discovered for myself that neither of these things are true I've just kept quiet and enjoyed it while it lasts.

You could always try persuading them to give you Open Access ( http://www.orange.co.uk/talkplans/gp...ess_terms.html ), but I'm fairly certain they've killed it. I've also noticed that one page contains the following text "Your Open Access expires 12 months from the date of your original subscription". This certainly wasn't mentioned when I signed up so I'll look forward to arguing with them over that one when the time comes!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Hmm, OK. I got on to some network support bod at Orange who assured me that (a) I certainly could have both GPRS and CSD simultaneously and (b) that I could access CSD via Orange's own dial-up service on 07973 100500.

Having said that, I couldn't get CSD to actually work on either my own dial-up service or Orange's. My own doesn't get anywhere towards estabilishing a connection. With Orange, it seems to get as far as checking the password before rejecting me.

I gave up trying to get through to technical support again as it was taking ages, ages I suspect I will be billed for, but I found I could email them and I've asked what username and password I should be entering. Using my phone number or Orange internet account name did not seem to work. I'm awaiting a reply to that email.

It would be nice to use CSD as well as GPRS. So far as I can see, CSD is billed by the minute. I might switch to it to do occasional browsing and the rest of the time have GPRS connected so my email can download regularly in background. I'll keep you posted.

- Dave
    It looks like you're making some progress. I'm going to ring Orange and see if they say the same to me. It'd be great if I could use both GPRS and CSD.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    OK, well I got an email back from Orange. The username to use is Orange and the password is Multimedia. With this, I could apparently establish a CSD connection on 07973 100500, though perhaps often on the second attempt, in that I would get double black arrows instead of the double green ones I get with GPRS. However I then couldn't access anything. Any site I tried with Blazer would immediately give an error message saying it was unavailable, including sites like Orange and Orange News, which I thought might be WAP. Attempting to contact my POP3 mail server from the mail program also produced an error, albeit after waiting a few seconds. I did wonder if perhaps the account needed "activating for CSD" after all or something - the email support service says it does not provide account specific information. I tried phoning tech support but gave up waiting as I figured I was being charged for standing in a queue.

Also, I had trouble using GPRS afterwards. Maybe it was coincidence, but I had trouble connecting until I did a soft reset.

I am minded to think it is too much trouble and I should just pay for more GPRS and waste those CSD minutes. But if anybody else gets further, do let me know.

- Dave
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I tried using the login details you gave but left the connection set to GPRS, using "orangewap" as the APN name. It seemed to connect OK, and could access the same areas as the "orangeinternet" connection. Does the Orange Treo manual describe the right connection icons? The green arrows always show when I use GPRS, whereas the manual says this is for a CSD connection. It also says the black arrows show a GPRS connection.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    CSD=circuit switched data and is basically equivilent to dial up internet connection. This is a lot slower than GPRS, I seem to remember reading in the T&Cs that you can use either GPRS or CSD, if you want to use CSD ring Orange (150) and tell them to activate it for you, I think they will then turn off your GPRS.

You can just setup a dial up network connection (select 'new' under network preferences) and type in an ISPs settings. I used the same Freeserve settings I use on my home PC and it worked fine. I thought I could use my unused voice minutes to surf the net. The buggers charged me 10p a minute and you can't use your voice minutes for data
    Slartibartfast, I have tried to set up a dial-up on the Treo using my PC's Freeserve connections, but to no avail!

Anytime settings I've used as follows:

Service: Dial-up (Wanadoo)
    Connection: Wireless dial-up
    Password: As PC one
    User name: As PC one
    Phone: 1470080899.....
    IP Address: Ticked for automatic
    Query DNS: Ticked

Would appreciate any help. Am off to Canada soon and Orange don't offer roaming there!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    hey guys you can;t use both GPRS and WAP.....one the first day of your billing month if you start to use wap you will activate the WAP 240 mins free usage...but if you then use GPRS you will get whacked with big bill....not your standard 3MB month usage...I confirmed as much to Orange long time ago...although I agree its not straightforward......

-----------------------------
    Adzo
    Treo since November 2003!

Still got the original.....