1.    #1  
    I recently got a GSM Treo 600 Sim-free and am using my O2-Ireland simcard. Problem is it drops the network randomly and *very* frequently even with a full signal. I installed the most recent firmware from palmOne and that seems to have made very little difference. O2 haven't been the most helpful. Can *anyone* shed some light on this as I'm very fond of my new phone and would like to keep using it!!!
    thanks,
    mark
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_jesus
    I recently got a GSM Treo 600 Sim-free and am using my O2-Ireland simcard. Problem is it drops the network randomly and *very* frequently even with a full signal. I installed the most recent firmware from palmOne and that seems to have made very little difference. O2 haven't been the most helpful. Can *anyone* shed some light on this as I'm very fond of my new phone and would like to keep using it!!!
    thanks,
    mark
    Hi. I'm very keen to get a Treo 600 but I'm not comfortable with whether they will work ok in Ireland. I read some negative posts about O2 and VOdaphone...

Before I go and shell out the bucks can anybody advise me godd bad or indifferent?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Paddy Healy
    I have an unlocked 600 that I just used for 3 weeks while in Ireland. I popped out my T-Mo SIM and popped in a Vodafone Ready-2-Go SIM. It worked well from the beginning for voice calls. I had to modify the entry for the message center to get SMS (texting) to work. I never got full GPRS working. (I got MMS operational but not the GPRS part for email, web, etc.)

Vodafone were fairly helpful but definitely do not officially support the 600. I think that is where the problem came in getting GPRS functionality. The 600 would never get recognized by their network.

If you can live without GPRS email and web... i.e. use it for voice and texting only, then Vodafone should work just fine
    I have used both a vodafone italy and O2 Germany sim in Ireland with GPRS ok. However my Meteor Ireland card will work only in voice. Meteor tech support has basically been useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoeingPilot
    I have used both a vodafone italy and O2 Germany sim in Ireland with GPRS ok. However my Meteor Ireland card will work only in voice. Meteor tech support has basically been useless.
    Those probably used the GPRS settings for vodafone italy and O2 germany. I am pretty sure my t-mo US sim would have allowed me to get GPRS access in Ireland, but I didn't want the roaming charges. Next time, maybe I will try O2 in Ireland and see if I get GPRS service.... Unless someone else figures out how to get GPRS operating for Vodafone Ireland in the meantime
  6.    #6  
    my treo eventually stabilised nicely. I *suspect* it may have been something to do with the sim-card's physical compatibility with the device, too-thin or misaligned or something. I found this out wuite by accident when the treo got jostled and disconnected. It became a noticable trend.

I also had web and email running very nicely (although O2 gprs is pricey). I had to ask O2 to enable MMS for me. It now works, but I can't for the life of me get my standard web GPRS going again despite not having changed my settings. grrrr, email gone for now. I shall persevere.
    What was O2's GPRS price? Are you on pay-as-you-go or monthly?
  8.    #8  
    as i said, it's pricey. I'm on speakeasy (prepaid) and it's 3cent per k. it's ok for checking your mail real quick, but browsing's lunacy! also, if you run avantgo and don't ensure it's set to work offline it can deplete your credit fairly sharpish!

contacted O2 support and asked questions re my gprs. no matter how helpful someone wants to be...it's just no good when they've no idea what you're talking about. they don't support any palm device with integrated wireless. grrr!