1.    #1  
    Anyone in the UK know if O2 plan to offer the Treo 600 on their network in the near future?( under 6 months from now ) .Or dare I say do they have any plans to offer the future Treo Ace. I think a phone call to them would be a waste of time! I am currently on an O2 tariff and would rather not switch to Orange. I am looking to buy new but the unlocked sim-free versions are too expensive .
    can't see it..they did have the treo 180/270 but they were not big sellers for them so it's unlikely they'd start selling the 600. Anyway this is no real loss as their previous treo support was distinctly average which I suppose matched their level of customer service !!... in my opinion of course. Why not get an orange one and use the free unlock patch available on this site and also mytreo.net ?? Check out some of the online phone retailers who are offering them for less than 100...good luck
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply Murrayalex. Just one more question:
    To get them for 100 or less new from the online retailers, I presume I would have to take out a new contract?

Shame about the O2 situation, reception wise they are ok in my part of the woods. Their customer service/support is another matter though.
    Quote Originally Posted by imef2k
    Thanks for the reply Murrayalex. Just one more question:
    To get them for 100 or less new from the online retailers, I presume I would have to take out a new contract?

Shame about the O2 situation, reception wise they are ok in my part of the woods. Their customer service/support is another matter though.
    - yes you would have to take out a contract, I was assuming you could cancel your 02 contract if it's more than 1 year old ?? I got my treo for 99 last October from mobilephoneshop.co.uk with a 20pm contract from Orange which I thought was good at the time.
  5.    #5  
    Does anyone know of an Orange Dealer that will allow a downgrade of tariff after 4 months without penalties.

The idea is to buy out the orange contract, minimise the total cost of the phone & keep my old carrier (O2) . It goes like this:

30/mth Orange tariff - First 4 months -> 120
    15/mth Orange tariff - Next 8 months -> 120
    Cost of handset ~ 30
    Total: 270

Then Unlock the phone and use the O2 sim. Possible or to good to be true?
    If you buy the phone direct from Orange you can downgrade your tariff after 1 month! Only if you buy online (I think). I got mine for 49.99 on a 50 tariff which I changed shortly after.
    Animo et Fide
  7.    #7  
    PeterBrown that sounds even better! I will try Orange online.
    Thanks.
    I got mine from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6306353679

29.99 for the Treo, 25 a month for 4 months then dropped down to 15 tariff
    i hope orange has the treo ACE as i am going to want an upgrade
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    I got mine from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6306353679

29.99 for the Treo, 25 a month for 4 months then dropped down to 15 tariff
    Just asked the seller for the same kind of deal. Got back a categorical "can't do". . Never mind ...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    i hope orange has the treo ACE as i am going to want an upgrade
    Too right. Can't wait to get my hands on a hi-res screen and a decent camera (fingers crossed!). My contracts up in December. Hopefully be out by then.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hello all,

First of all, I would like to say this is an AMAZING forum and site. I've been following it silently for the last few months, reading all I can about the Treo, dreaming of the day I will be able to have mine..

Well, that day is getting closer. I will be travelling to London in the next month, to stay there for 3 yrs. I am planning to buy the Treo as my cell phone, and have the following questions:

1) I heard that you cannot buy a phone on contract on your first year in the UK. Is that true? (I am an EU national) Is there a way to circumvent this - such as for example putting a downpayment that you will get back at the end of the year?

2) Which is the best (cheapest?) way to buy the Treo that you guys know of? Directly through Orange? Through re-sellers? Which one is best?

The e-bay link above points to an offer from Uncle Jamal, which looks like the cheapest I could find. 29 GBP with a 25 GBP per month contract (120 minutes of talk). What do you think?

Thank you in advance for any responses, I appreciate it greatly..

Loukas
    1. It's difficult to get a phone in the UK if you are not llisted on the electorial register as this is the list they check you details on. So it will be difficult to get a pay monthly phone the first year you are in the UK, however pay as you go phones should available to you.

2. I bought my phone from Uncle Jamal on Ebay as it was one of the cheapest prices in the UK and they had stock. Buying direct from an orange shop is one of the most expensive ways to get a treo.

If you can not get a pay monthly contract you will not get a Treo cheap, you'll have to pay full retail price for a Palm1 unlocked Treo. The cheaper way would be to get a new Treo from Ebay, unlock it (www.mytreo.net), buy a pay as you go sim card for which ever network suits your needs.