Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone find Rogers' GPRS service ridiculously expensive?

$25 - 3MB
    $40 - 7MB
    $60 - 15MB
    $100 - Unlimited (fine print, they have the right to reserve your bandwidth to 25MB... WTF!)

Makes me want to unlock my phone and run to Fido, $50 for true unlimited, although I'm not fond of their voice service (sometimes trying to phone people on Fido at certain times of the day is like trying to get onto an ISP at 6pm back in the 90s!) and coverage outside urban areas, although CityFido is $45 a month in Vancouver....

Hmmm...

Donald
  2.    #2  
    Dammit I didn't finish editting it.

The cut off is actually 100MB... but still freaking $100, I have better things to spend $100 on, like tuition fees.

At least the first three months on the $40 a month plan is unlimited service so I can learn what my typical monthly data usage will be. I reckon I won't use wireless more than IMing, e-mailing, and quickly looking up things on the internet the same way I used WAP before..
    i'm going with fido because of the excellent plan (i'm getting the special $25 plan with 100daytime/1000eve,weekend and unlimited incoming calls)
    and fido also has pay-per-use so i might want to use that if that type of thing ever happens....(or maybe go with the $5/500kb)

and maybe cause i have a fido sim card left from my old phone
  4.    #4  
    Did you not hear me? Sometimes trying to call people on Fido at certain times of the day is like trying to get onto an ISP at 6PM back in the 90s, it's impossible, their networks are too full!

I'm gonna get the $40 special and see what my actual usages are before I decide on anything...
    Donald, I just signed up for the $40 data plan and they currently have a special where you get unlimited transfer. Good to see how much you actually use. But yes, the prices are WAY too high compared to what the users south of the 49th get. What option do we have though? I'm NOT going to Fido, way too many people have problems with their network.
  6.    #6  
    If my internet usage ends up being more than 15MB a month then I may have to go to Fido...
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    $25 - 3MB
    $40 - 7MB
    $60 - 15MB
    $100 - Unlimited (fine print, they have the right to reserve your bandwidth to 25MB... WTF!)
    [...]
    Donald
    I, for another, even though those are Cdn $$. I just took my Treo to the U.S. where any data that I roamed would have been 3 cents per KB. Consequently I didn't use it. How did Rogers profit on that?! While there, I picked up a Cingular brochure. 2 MB per month cost U.S. $9.99, and UNLIMITED usage is $19.99.

Rogers should think of the advertising value of other people actually seeing us use our Treo data lines, instead of counting and hoarding KB.
  8.    #8  
    According to Rogers tho, the Treo 600 is selling like hotcakes in Canada, just like in every other country. But I talk to their customer service representative and now I realized why I stuck with Rogers so long, customer service second to none. Hopefully over time they reduce their data access prices eventually, but Telus and Bell charges the same amount of money for their 1X service, and Fido.... ich, I can't even think about going back to Fido. Poor quality reception, no countryside GSM access, the only reasons customers go to them is the dirt cheap prices... but with Telus 'threatening' to buy them out, who knows. And Telus' customer service is horrible. I was temporarily with them while my g/f used my Rogers Nokia 3360, and after 8 months I finally went kicking and screaming back to Rogers. And the fact that Rogers is, for now, Canada's only supplier of the PalmOne Treo 600 helps. =)
    Donald,
    Yes, Rogers' service people are very helpful. The policy of charging pro rata for data use over one's plan is good, too. On the other hand. their not disclosing one's data use until the bill comes is bad. So is the rate at which they convert the price of PalmOne accessories (if you can find them). And when, o when, are we to be provided with the updater?
    the 100$ DAP is for unlimited (which is soft capped at 100MB)...they mention that incase people decide to do like 500 megs of a 1 gig of data, then they will charge you, but if it is minimal over its cool
    but just remember donald....sometimes you gotta pay for what you want, these things are cheap nor free....i prefer to pay the money to use rogers dual band, than fido's one band....

cityfido is great, if you dont travel...the moment you leave the GVA or GTA, boom big time charges
  12.    #12  
    Well I'll have to see what my actual usage is for the first month of data service but most likely I'll stick with Rogers because I feel they are the top wireless service providers in Canada.

BTW, how much data do you people typically use per month? How do you rack up those kbs?

Donald
    Donald, I restrain myself to 3 MB a month. Mostly I look up potential purchases on Abebooks.com (which has a lot of graphics!). How about others?
    i usually do 10 megs of my 15 meg limit...i do wap (when i can) but i do a fair amount of html also
    I agree Donald,

Rogers data prices are a huge huge rip. But given that I also find the voice prices (once you add on all the extra fees - $8/month for voicemail!!!) ludicrous too.

We sooooooo need some competition here... when i lived in the UK the operators were falling over each other to offer great deals, and the price advertised really was the price paid. Stuff like voicemail & caller ID was all so standard that any operator that considered charging for it would be laughed out of the market.

I've signed up for the 3Mb plan to give it a go... but really, 3Mb goes so quickly (280kb [i.e. ~$2.40] just to open my hotmail inbox in the browser) that it's basically unusable unless I can get someone else to bankroll it! Mr Gates? Are you listening??

Oh well. Guess I should quit my whining and just buy shares in Rogers.

Galahad - dunno if this is what you mean, but Rogers have a download called 'Treo600ROWUpdater1_12PC.zip' available on their site.
    https://www.shoprogers.com/web_auth/...oduct=Wireless

OT I know, but any Rogers users out there installed this yet? Is there a thread on this (for Rogers) yet?

Cheers all,
    Mike
    Rogers has a 25% sale on Treo 600 accessories at
    http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wire...phoneSku=84135
    they're always having an accessory sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen

$25 - 3MB
    $40 - 7MB
    $60 - 15MB

Makes me want to unlock my phone and run to Fido, $50 for true unlimited, although I'm not fond of their voice service (sometimes trying to phone people on Fido at certain times of the day is like trying to get onto an ISP at 6pm back in the 90s!) and coverage outside urban areas, although CityFido is $45 a month in Vancouver..
    Donald
    Did you see the Fido price for unlimited data for the Hiptop? $20/month (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/package...packages.shtml). When I had a Hiptop for a while, the price was still being established, but it looked as though it would be $50/month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galahad
    Did you see the Fido price for unlimited data for the Hiptop? $20/month (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/package...packages.shtml). When I had a Hiptop for a while, the price was still being established, but it looked as though it would be $50/month.
    I use the Fido 50.00 unlimited data package for both on my Treo600 and Wireless GPRS PC Modem Card. Its worth it if you do a lot of emails with picture attachments and surfing.
  20.    #20  
    One reason I'd like Fido's 50 plan... SHOUTCAST for Treo 600!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast