1.    #1  
    I am on Orange UK and as I have a work-owned sim in my own Treo, work doesnt give let me subscibe to GPRS (very annoying). Is there any way to connect to anything on my treo 600?
    I have an ISP or I was thinking I could access WAP through orange. I was using a Nokia 6310i which I was using WAP quite happily without GPRS so I think its possible. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to set this up (any network settings, browser settings etc). Also tell me what can I do with a connection - eg surf the web / download email ???? I NEED CONNECTIVITY!!!!!!
    thanks very much...
    Last edited by ashleymarks; 06/03/2004 at 04:27 AM.
    I have my Treo 600 (OUK) set up for CSD backup for Internet access using my ISP (Pipex). Go to System,prefs,network. Menu button, service, new. Enter a name for the service (replacing untitled), select connection type of wireless dialup, enter your userid and password info as you would for your normal ISP connection. Enter your ISP's dialup number (I use the international number since I use this as backup for when no GPRS is available and that's more likely while roaming) This works with all the internet stuff (you may have to setup mail to the ISP's servers if you are using Orange's now). I don't have a real WAP browser installed (only Blazer which is not REAL WAP) so I haven't worried about a connection to the Orange WAP gateway via CSD.

Beck
    ..done the same with a Freeserve account...works well. Orange will give you the details needed to access their sites.
  4.    #4  
    thanks for replying. I just noticed it! I tried entering my isp info with and without dns info. it says "connecting" and then take about 2 mins and then says cancelling. any ideas? I phoned Orange and they said that i cant connect as I have an old sim that needs to be upgraded - does that sound right to you? I am also not sure about what Beck said about the Blazer browser not being wap. does that mean it wont work using this kind of connection? I want to connect to wap sites and check my email. At the moment i cant do anything data related - even if someone sends me a picture message - it says i can see the pic on the orange website and gives me a URL. what do i do? Ive also got a pay as u go 02 sim card - does that help at all? PLEASE HELP ME!! Im desparate!
    I used the above method for a dial up connection to Freeserve worked great. Unfortunately, OUK won't let you use inclusive minutes to ring a non-geographical number (0845.........). Does anyone know of a dial up ISP that doesn't use a 0845 or 0800 number?
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleymarks
    thanks for replying. I just noticed it! I tried entering my isp info with and without dns info. it says "connecting" and then take about 2 mins and then says cancelling. any ideas? I phoned Orange and they said that i cant connect as I have an old sim that needs to be upgraded - does that sound right to you? I am also not sure about what Beck said about the Blazer browser not being wap. does that mean it wont work using this kind of connection? I want to connect to wap sites and check my email. At the moment i cant do anything data related - even if someone sends me a picture message - it says i can see the pic on the orange website and gives me a URL. what do i do? Ive also got a pay as u go 02 sim card - does that help at all? PLEASE HELP ME!! Im desparate!
    Regarding Blazer and WAP. Blazer supports WML, the markup used with WAP pages, as far as I can tell Blazer does not support WAP (the protocol) itself. That is, there is no way to configure a WAP gateway address. The WAP gateway is a kind of proxy which the network operator typically supplies. The WAP protocol is binary and compressed unlike HTTP. If the site you want to connect to is using the gateway protocol (real WAP), Blazer will not be able to access it, if the site just has WML pages using HTTP (and does not offer HTML as a preference, since Blazer accepts these too) then it will work using the WML pages.

I suspect what the above means is the O2 WAP access will not work at all since it definitely uses the O2 WAP gateway.

As to why no data calls are allowed, maybe you do need a SIM upgrade, God only knows (He and OUK both move in mysterious ways).

I've been bitten by the 0845 problem on OUK too so I'd be interested in an ISP with a "normal" number too.
  7.    #7  
    i cant seem to get this working - i know how to add a connection but the best i get is it looks connected but no data is coming through- when i spoke to orange they said i need a gprs connection to receive any data. they said on another call that i have an old sim... my sim is about 4 months old!! any suggestions?
    cool thread.

I am looking for ways of reducing my large GPRS bill - this looks like a good idea but I have a few questions.

How will the speed compare to GPRS?

How do I configure blazer/email to use this connection?

Anyone got any ideas how to get by the Orange 08456 number issue?
    Dial up connection is a lot slower than GPRS, I would guess GPRS is 10 times quicker.

As long as the dialup network setting there is need to change blazer/email settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    Dial up connection is a lot slower than GPRS, I would guess GPRS is 10 times quicker.
    really? GPRS is hardly fast is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleymarks
    i cant seem to get this working - i know how to add a connection but the best i get is it looks connected but no data is coming through- when i spoke to orange they said i need a gprs connection to receive any data. they said on another call that i have an old sim... my sim is about 4 months old!! any suggestions?
    I have this configured to access my dial account at Pipex and it works fine. Remember if you are using the "wireless dial-up" connection option then you need a user id and password for your ISP and the ISP's dial-up number in the phone field.
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2447
    cool thread.

I am looking for ways of reducing my large GPRS bill - this looks like a good idea but I have a few questions.

How will the speed compare to GPRS?

How do I configure blazer/email to use this connection?

Anyone got any ideas how to get by the Orange 08456 number issue?
    It gets worse. I changed my ISP number to the one they give for international use (a "normal" London 0207 number) and still got charged. Rang OUK tech support who said that ALL data calls are charged (do NOT use inclusive minutes). I use the CSD connection for fall-back and fall-back only now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck
    It gets worse. I changed my ISP number to the one they give for international use (a "normal" London 0207 number) and still got charged. Rang OUK tech support who said that ALL data calls are charged (do NOT use inclusive minutes). I use the CSD connection for fall-back and fall-back only now.
    Unbelieveable.

Orange just want to screw us of every penny they can - back to O2 for me this time next year
    GPRS is around 56kbps average. Sprint Vision is around the same, although it can peak at 140kbps at times. Dialup via cell phone is 14.4kbps. 4x slower than GRPS. and that 14.4kbps is just the maximum, the average can be a bit lower.