1.    #1  
    I'm going to be traveling to London and bringing a Treo 180 with me that is unlocked.

I want to just buy a prepaid SIM for usage during my trip. What carriers are best, and do they all offer GPRS?

Thank you.

David
    I have used an Orange prepaid SIM with no problems. It is easy to "top-up" your pre-paid balance all over the place. But, I don't think anyone offers GPRS on a prepaid service. If they do, I would like to know who they are.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanuck
    I have used an Orange prepaid SIM with no problems. It is easy to "top-up" your pre-paid balance all over the place. But, I don't think anyone offers GPRS on a prepaid service. If they do, I would like to know who they are.

Thanks ... I would love to have GPRS available to access some WAP sites while I'm there. I assume SMS worked?
    Quote Originally Posted by idfdavid
    I'm going to be traveling to London and bringing a Treo 180 with me that is unlocked.

I want to just buy a prepaid SIM for usage during my trip. What carriers are best, and do they all offer GPRS?

Thank you.

David
    If the 180 is the US model you need to get either a Vodafone or O2 SIM. Both of these networks are on 900mHz. Orange and T-Mobile are on 1800mHz in the UK.

You can get a SIM on eBay UK for about 10-15 USD plus postage (letter post since the SIM is small). The Voda tariff is here -
    http://www.vodafone.co.uk look round for "pay as you talk"

GPRS (apparently WAP only) and SMS should work fine.
    Last edited by Beck; 05/21/2004 at 06:04 PM.
    When you get to London, you can walk into any cellular store and buy a pre-paid SIM. Top-up cards are available like chewing gum in the US -- the post office, supermarkets, they all have them. I used Virgin Mobile on my T600 and had no compaints. SMS worked (even international) but no, no GPRS
    Visorphone>T180>T600>T650
    Just a warning that if you get a network with GPRS, most networks in the UK charge a lot for GPRS