Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I'm having trouble with setting up MMS properly. I have searched on this forum and contacted clueless Orange directly and have ascertained that the basic generic settings are correct.

The only way I can send a MMS is to first go in to Preferences/ network and click on orange mms rather than using the orange internet tab. Once I've done that it works although I can't use blazer until I change it back again to orange internet in network prefs. Surely I can have one setting that does both functions? I don't think that I automatically receive MMS when i leave my prefs settings on Orange internet.

To clarify, my settings are:

In preferences/ network-
    Service orange internet
    Connection: gprs
    Password: blank
    APN: blank
    Fallback: none
    IP address: automatic
    Query DNS: ticked

Should also note that I have 3 number orange internets and 3 number orange mms options under service which I am unabke to delete because it states that they are pre-installed by my network provider. I think I gained these extra ones from Orange sending me sim updates.

My MMS settings are:
    Auto collect messages
    Even when roaming: not ticked
    To: is numeric: ticked
    Display alerts in privacy mode: ticked
    Confirm message deliveries: ticked
    Connection settings: custom
    MMS Gateway address: 192.168.224.10
    MMSC URL: mms.orange.co.uk
    MMSC Port Number: 9201
    Custom: Orange MMS (none of the 3 boxes ticked)

Should also note that I have FW 3.04.

Apologies for the lengthy post, tried to remember everything. I would appreciate any help.
    Last edited by Hicks; 05/05/2004 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Crappy Freeserve/ Wanadoo
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    In the Network preferences mine has orangeinternet in the APN slot, and it has worked OK since I got the phone in Feb
    Hi Hicks,
    Not too suprised that doesn't work m8 (in any 2.5/3g or WCMA network APN must be assigned).

Given the extra "service" settings you have,if it will allow you to rename do so to complete b*llocks, Hotsync and then Hard Reset the device (p116 in manual). If you are not sync'able then a soft reset may allow the extra Service sets to be deleted.

These are correct -

For the sake or argument we will create default "services" names if these don't already exist.

In Prefs, Network, Services there should be two services/connection sets, Orange Internet and Orange MMS.

With the Orange Internet service set selected.
    Connection=GPRS
    Username and password unassigned
    APN=orangeinternet(case/syntax specific)

In modify, ok, details, advanced, tick both auto I.P add and Query DNS. O.K back out.

With the Orange MMS service set selected
    Connection=GPRS
    Username and password unassigned
    APN=orangemms(case/syntax specific)

In modify, ok, details, advanced, tick both auto I.P add and Query DNS. O.K back out. Reselect Orange Internet service set, where this area can be left.

In the MMS client/Photo Msg. app go, menu key, Options, Preferences, Customise, Edit, yes, set -
    MMSC Gateway Address= 192.168.224.10
    MMSC URL=http://mms.orange.co.uk/
    MMSC Port #= 9201
    Service set=Orange MMS

Leave the NoNrm, No+ and HTTP blank(not sure of effect of these but blank works)

Because the Service set is dictated by the Proxy in the MMS client it is not necessary to set Prefs, Network to anything but Orange Internet. I believe if you subsequently re-Hotsync it will allow you to delete the b*llocks Service sets from earlier.

Oh! One other thing the Access Points(APN) pointed to by the handset must be provisioned to your subscription on the network. Basically you must subscribe to the service which provisions the APN i.e Orange MMS

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tyrant_worm; 05/05/2004 at 06:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Thanks for your replies chaps.....
    I messed up on my first post because APN does state orangeinternet, it's the user name that is blank.
    Tried deleting/ renaming extra service settings but it doesn't give you that option. Will try hard reset and try not to resync extra settings later on today. Might try restoring individual files from backup man that aren't related to the network.
    Will keep you posted............
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Right........ Managed to get rid of extra service settings by hard reset and then restoring individual files from backup man that don't relate to the network.

Took two goes tho as if you hard reset and then put wireless mode on and then restore files you get two service settings! Need to reset, restore and then switch wireless on.

Checked settings again from Tyrant Worms helpful post, played about with settings and still not working!!!!! Ahhhrr the horror! Anyone any ideas??

Hi Hicks,

Pleasure m8.

Can you use the orangeinternet APN?
    Are you provisioned for the MMS service/APN?
    I would suggest calling Orange, confirm that you have the MMS service and get them to send you a SIM update(not connection settings).
    What do you actually see when you try to send?

As far as autoretrieval goes, it should work irrespective of prefs, network.

If that doesn't work I'm a little stuck. If you can let me know what exactly is occurring on both sending and receiving, I will try to replicate.

cheers
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Ok.......... Contacted Orange- God they're useless! Had to teach the guy how to go thro the settings and how to send an MMS- on the phone 40 minutes. Confirmed am all set up for MMS/ data etc. What was interesting was that they replicated my problem! They said they'd get one of their experts (suspect there is only one of them too- sorry, bitter I know) to look at the problem and call me back in 30 minutes (over an hour ago now).

Can get access onto internet no problem- so long as in pref/ network have the service box set at orangeinternet. If set at MMS then blazer states the following:

"The page you requested cannot be displayed. the web site you are trying to access may be temporarily unavailable or the URL you entered cannot be resolved. Please check that you correctly entered the URL or try again later"

Incidently, this happens on any web site and Orange replicated this too.

When the prefs/ network is set to orangeinternet and I try to send a MMS the following happens:

I click on send and then it takes a few seconds and returns to the folder
    (in my case drafts), then a blue revolving square appears at the bottom right of the screen; at this point sometimes it states signing on, established. Then the blue square appears for a time, disappears and then reappears. It tries to send a few times and then "MMS Connection Problem" comes up. Then I click go to and it says "Connection Problem, There is a problem connecting to the server"......... and it doesn't send.

Not sure if this helps you or not! Open to suggestions though.........

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Right...........

Hi Guys,

Starting to make some progress now. Spent hours on it today and finally got it working........ sort of (and no I haven't been working on it solid since my last post!)

It only appears to work after I delete a saved preference (using filez) called "netw Network", full name "Network_netw_panl_a68k". Creator a68k. This setting reappears and I have to delete it again to send MMS. I am only able to delete this through filez saved prefs. Through filez main screen it states "An error prevented the file from being deleted 539" The file is created when I access the internet with blazer.

What is this preference and how can I stop this problem?

Help please.

I did have similar problems initialy. It happened after a hard reset, and evetualy I persuaded Orange to re-send me the sim updates for enabling data and MMS on my account. This worked a treat. I only have one difference to u on my 600 - In preferences/ network- my apn is "orangemms"

Dave
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave99
    I did have similar problems initialy. It happened after a hard reset, and evetualy I persuaded Orange to re-send me the sim updates for enabling data and MMS on my account. This worked a treat. I only have one difference to u on my 600 - In preferences/ network- my apn is "orangemms"

Dave
    I've had Orange resend sim updates and disconnect/ reconnect me from GPRS. They also confirmed I am data enabled and MMS enabled.

Interesting that your pref/ network is set at orangemms. I can't access the internet or email when mine is set to this- but I can use MMS; weird...........

...now that's plain odd. I really don't have any problems switching (and just to check I tried it out). Could this be a hardware problem? Maybe you should insist on a replacement 600? Afterall, it doesn't do what it says it should....

Or how about istalling the updated Firmware? There are loads of benefits to doing that anyway. (http://web.orange.co.uk/yourphone/tr...l?id=sm_958134) and trying to start from scratch (ie new user name, no restoring, sim updates sent again etc).

Bon chance..

DT
    and I've just hand another thought...

On the "Network" screen, you should have at least two choices under "Service". One should read "Orange MMS" and the other should read "Orange Internet"

The APN for "Orange Internet" should be "orangeinternet"
    The APN for "Orange MMS" should be "orangemms"

I've actually got more (don't ask me why) but I've also got a "dial-up" account set up, just in case GPRS isn't working.

Now what seems to happen on mine is that if I've been fiddling with "Network" and left it on "Service: Orange MMS", the browser will try to connect to the 'net using the "Orange MMS" settings. I then have to go back into "Network" to change it back to "Service: Orange Internet"

The same is not true of MMS. They get sent no matter what "Service" was last showing on the Network screen..

Just tried it again....the above is gospel!

Have another go!

DT
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hi Dave,

Unfortunately with mine MMS will ONLY send when Service is set to Orange MMS. And of course, I can't access the internet when it is set to this. My APN settings are identical to yours. Oh, and BTW my Firmware is 3.05 already. Thanks for your input though.....

PS I thik I'll have to hard reset and reinstall everything one by one- THE HORROR. My hotsync settings are not quite set up correctly so no doubt this will take me hours, can't face doing it tonight though.

...hmmm... I think you should kick off with Orange and demand a new 600. You can't fix it, we can't fix it, they can't fix it so it's time the got of their ass! Sorry I couldn't help...

D