1.    #1  
    I'm currently new to the Treo 600 and I've read rave reviews about it so I'm highly considering in purchasing one. I currently live in Seoul, Korea and I would like to ask if anyone has had any problem using the Treo 600 phone service here?

Also, am I correct that the Treo 600 comes in 2 types: a GSM and CDMA phone right? What phone should I get (I assume its the one from Sprint)? Can anyone recommend to me what Treo 600 phone I need to get so I can use it here without problems? Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by esldude
    I'm currently new to the Treo 600 and I've read rave reviews about it so I'm highly considering in purchasing one. I currently live in Seoul, Korea and I would like to ask if anyone has had any problem using the Treo 600 phone service here?

Also, am I correct that the Treo 600 comes in 2 types: a GSM and CDMA phone right? What phone should I get (I assume its the one from Sprint)? Can anyone recommend to me what Treo 600 phone I need to get so I can use it here without problems? Thanks again!
    Hi there,

Yes the GSM Treo 600 will work in Korea through the company KT FreeTel Co. Ltd. I think it was just recently that a GSM network was put in Korea, just as Japan did. And of course you can use it in almost 200 countries in the world. The CDMA phone will not work since you guys have a 2000Mhz frequency and we have a 1900Mhz frequency. Finally, the phone you have must be unlocked, so you have to go to www.palmone.com and buy the unlocked Treo 600, or go check out ebay.

It should be fully functional in Korea although I don't know for a fact.

Donald
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I highly doubt either version of Treo 600 will work in Korea. As far as I know, Korea has only CDMA network. CDMA Treo (Sprint, Verizon) *might* work there, but I wouldn't get one before I find a definite answer.
    Sprint lists international roaming countries that the treo doesn't work in. If you press them about why, they'll tell you it's because they'll rent you a local phone to roam in Kore, Japan and elsewhere with. Bogus.

I tried a network search on my GSM T600 in Seoul in April and came up empty. I was considering pairing a blue
    tooth phone with a Tungsten instead (despite the shortcomings of bluetooth for internet connectivity). That's probably your best alternative until Samsung releases a competing smartphone perhaps in the fourth quarter.

LG has a smartphone that only works in Korea. But it's a little too large and slow to be worthwhile IMO.
    The last time I visited Korea my GSM based phone (not the Treo600) would not work. It was my understanding that Korea does not have a GSM network.

However, this may have changed.

Try one of these two websites to do some research on GSM in South Korea:

http://www.ktf.com/
    http://www.sktelecom.com/

If I am correct they have recently implemented the technology. This would enable you to use the Treo600 as long as you get the generic/unlocked version.
    Like I said, the change in the network would have to be more recent than April.
    KT Freetel is officially listed as a Rogers Wireless (Canada) GSM roaming partner in Korea.

Just as Vodafone Japan is officially listed.

Korea and Japan has traditionally been 2000Mhz CDMA, but now the two companies are wishing to change that.
    I travelled to Korea quite often recently. I own a Treo 600 and I do not think Treo 600 can be used in Seoul. My recent trip is in July and going over againin Aug. I will find out more detail when Iam there.

These Telecom company offer you a handset (hybrid CDMA/GSM) phone that can accept a normal GSM SIM card. I tried one of this and the reception is not so good compare to the normal CDMA handset. Your normal mobile number can be used.

If these Telecom is working on GSM network, they are not available for auto-roaming yet by their roaming partner.

KTF Roaming needs a separate handset that take your SIM card too work in Korea.
    Chai