Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Guys,

I have been looking around the forum for most of the day and i have read all about FW updates for the Treo 600 on posts dating back to the end of last year. Im new to Palm OS use and will be getting a 600 as an upgrade next month. I suppose what i am getting at is -

Have the latest batch of 600's been shipped with an updated firmware (3.0...... whatever the latest is!?) and have all the bugs with speakerphones and call use not working etc been fixed?

I spoke to an Orange Uk tech adviser who when faced with the same question ensured me that they have had no reports of any failures or malfuntions with the units, which from everthing i have read seems alittle bit unbeliveable - but i still want one! any Orange Uk users out there to help or have had any problems recently?

cheers, j
    Sounds like typical Orange - I've reported several problems and am on my third Treo - due to the speaker hardware fault on the first two.

As far as I'm aware both Hardware and Firmware are still the original versions.

Installing a later firmware did improve reception, sound quality and speed things up but I haven't upgraded my latest phone as I'm a bit worried that if this one breaks Orange will be fussy about replacing it - they were much more of a pain in getting the last one replaced than the first.

Orange, can we PLEASE have an official firmware upgrade?????
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the speedy reply!

You have confimed my suspicions. You would think that with all the hype on the orange website about how they have helped develop this version of the 600 with handspring that they would have a new firmware update on offer. The response to my question about that to the orange techy on the other end of the phone was deflty silent. I was reassured that i have 7 days to return the phone no questions asked, or 28 days cover if something goes wrong with it.

Page 3 - How long did your phones last until they went odd?

Orange go funny about replacing 3 or more handsets, i dont want to go for the Nokia 6600 as an upgrade
    There must be someone at orange who could help??
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeuk
    Page 3 - How long did your phones last until they went odd?
    The first one lasted about three months. It was swapped-out next day (Sunday!) under Orange Care. The replacement lasted 1 week before having the same fault. This time it took a week to get authorisation to swap-out - and that only happened because in the end I went in to an Orange shop, showed them the phone and got them to call Orange and tell them I wasn't lying!

Still a great phone though
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeuk
    Guys,

I have been looking around the forum for most of the day and i have read all about FW updates for the Treo 600 on posts dating back to the end of last year. Im new to Palm OS use and will be getting a 600 as an upgrade next month. I suppose what i am getting at is -

Have the latest batch of 600's been shipped with an updated firmware (3.0...... whatever the latest is!?) and have all the bugs with speakerphones and call use not working etc been fixed?

I spoke to an Orange Uk tech adviser who when faced with the same question ensured me that they have had no reports of any failures or malfuntions with the units, which from everthing i have read seems alittle bit unbeliveable - but i still want one! any Orange Uk users out there to help or have had any problems recently?

cheers, j

They're lying about failures! I'm on my third - I had the buzzing problem for a few months - I finally got fed up and they swapped it out under care (excellent next day service). the next treo lasted 2days before one line in the screen blew. Again - swapped out next day. Treo number 3 is fine - and a fantastic device!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  6. jgk
    Hi - just posted this in "Hardware" but here is proablably a better place.

I'm now on my third handset in 7 months with Orange - all for the "buzzing heard at the other end but not by me" problem. The first two were fine for a couple of months but then started buzzing - at the same tinme the battery usage seems to plummet dramatically. No firmware updates installed - I'm not that brave!

I've spent many a long hour trying to discuss this with Orange! They seem happy enough to replace the phone as all I need to do to convince them it's unworkable is to phone them from the Treo :-) Unfortunately they then try to charge me a fee for changing the handset, at which point I have to explain to them about the number of people with this problem on here, and the fact that it's clearly a design problem.

I agree that Orange are just not geared up for the Treo - the call centre people don't know it as any different from any other phone (the last person told me to take the battery out before returning it!) and they sell no accesssories whatsoever. It seems a bit of an embarrassment to them!

Real pity, as I now run my life on it and would hate to go back to a Two-box solution, but I'm losing patience with this very annoying recuring problem and Orange's refusal to admit that it exists.
    Guess I'm lucky. 7 months on, and still on my original 600 and firmware. Working fine except for particularly poor camera (supposed to be better on newer Treos) and sometimes having to disconnect and connect again to get mail/use web on GPRS (common problem reported on these boards).

Yes Orange don't seem brilliant at supporting the Treo 600 but I can assure you that O2 were just as bad with the Treo 270. Think main problem is treo's just don't sell in large numbers compared to the main phone models so staff have much less knowledge/experience in resolving problems...
    Decent post Jon,

When I'm talking to Orange I remember what my mum is like with this stuff(or kit far more rudimentary), keeps me sane

I think though that the majority are just a little out of their depth with this sort of device, perhaps they just need better training than they get.

As far as device quality goes, update does improve quality particularly in lowish light(cloudy, indoors etc:rofl: ) The blue compression artifacts are greatly reduced.

All else is similar, noticed a wee bit of spurious incoming call behaviour prior to sticking the update in and that hasn't re-occurred(more likely to be down to radio stack flash than ROM update proper)

As for H/W, speakers, microphones etc. Screen is pretty reliable, as is keypad, crashes infrequently(but if I'm on an active GPRS session always requires Wireless off/on to setup another), camera compression s/w is improved, earpiece ain't great, nor is the microphone.

I have a somewhat dubious pleasure of having used the majority of GSM handsets and the current batch are all very poor in the area of audio quality. The majority of earpiece/fixings don't stand up to the pounding of 3/4 volume, microphones give the impression to the far end that you've just necked a tin of treacle and the speakerphone facility works adequately on none. If PalmOne were to say "it's an extra $50 but the audio is spot on" I would happily pay the extra. Just a shame that no Mobile developer places any form of priority on this.
    If it's any help when talking to Orange you could try quoting the Orange fault code that I got when I had the problem. It's SW133.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonStern
    Guess I'm lucky. 7 months on, and still on my original 600 and firmware. Working fine except for particularly poor camera (supposed to be better on newer Treos) and sometimes having to disconnect and connect again to get mail/use web on GPRS (common problem reported on these boards).

Yes Orange don't seem brilliant at supporting the Treo 600 but I can assure you that O2 were just as bad with the Treo 270. Think main problem is treo's just don't sell in large numbers compared to the main phone models so staff have much less knowledge/experience in resolving problems...
    Same here - one 600/firmware for 7 months, and no significant problems. The only reason I might upgrade firmware (assuming an officially sanctioned one becomes available) would be to make use to some of the voice note software that is coming available, and maybe not even then.
    You do not need Orange Care for warranty issues.
    The Treo comes with a 12 warranty.

I had the speaker issue after 3 months and brought it in to the orange shop. They sent if off to Handspring and a week later I had a brand new handset.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acucobol
    You do not need Orange Care for warranty issues.
    The Treo comes with a 12 warranty.

I had the speaker issue after 3 months and brought it in to the orange shop. They sent if off to Handspring and a week later I had a brand new handset.
    Your one of the lucky ones then. I had the buzzing problem and it took a full 3 weeks to get a replacement handset through Orange. They didn't know where to send it. I advise people with warranty issues to go direct to A Novo and cut out Orange altogether.

I've now taken out Orange care so that I get a replacement quickly if the worst happens.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Hi

1) Orange are LIARS when they say they have not heard any faults with the Treo.

2) They confirm mine had a problem with the buzzing noise as I phoned them from it. They had to ring me back on a landline to continue the conversation. However they refused to accept/acknowledge the buzzing noise when the battery is not fully charged is a common fault. I have spoken to PalmOnes Europe support line - Tel:020-7867-0108 - listen to the long message and then near the end - select option 3 for Warranty Repairs. They told me of the following link - http://www.handspring.co.uk/support/repairs.asp (also see point 4 below).

PalmOne said that the reason for the buzzing is "the issue is with a loose connector by the battery. When the battery is low it will emit a buzz on the receiving end of the call"

3) Orange did confirm my Treo had a fault & gave me a trouble-code of FW133 but as I did not buy the phone directly throught them but from www.fones4free.com - they refused to take it in for a warranty repair/exchange.

4) The best bet for a warranty repair/replacement is "A Novo" - see the following link
    http://www.handspring.co.uk/support/repair_uk.asp - so remember to keep your purchase receipt if you buy a Treo 600 as you need to send in a copy.

I hope this helps anyone thinking of buying a Treo 600 on an Orange UK contract. Ask about Warranty Procedures etc ..... and perhaps think about taking out insurance for this device.... But remember the Treo comes with 12 months warranty from the manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I've now taken out Orange care so that I get a replacement quickly if the worst happens.
    First time perhaps, but if it goes wrong again I suspect you'll have problems - the Orange Care terms say 24 hr replacement from AUTHORISATION. When my second phone went faulty with the same fault as the first customer services wouldn't authorise it, and technical wouldn't respond and customer service refused to contact them to ask why.

After a week customer support finally admitted that they just didn't trust me and that I might never get authorisation 'until Orange confirm the problem'. They didn't have a contact for Orange though!

As you know from my previous post, as suggested on this forum I took it to an orange shop and got them to call from there. A phone call from Customer Service giving authorisation just happened to occur 30 minutes after I got back to the office.

I REALLY want to install the new firmware as I found it significantly better but don't dare just incase of another hardware failure. I would argue a firmware upgrade cannot invalidate warranty and even if they managed to argue that it did, via Orange Care I'm not claiming a warranty repair - however I can see myself banging my head against a brick wall explaining this to Orange - I've found them to be totally unhelpful to the point of purposeful obstruction and rudeness.

The Treo is the ONLY thing keeping me on Orange. I just wish I could risk upgrading it and benefit from the improvements.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by page3
    First time perhaps, but if it goes wrong again I suspect you'll have problems - the Orange Care terms say 24 hr replacement from AUTHORISATION. When my second phone went faulty with the same fault as the first customer services wouldn't authorise it, and technical wouldn't respond and customer service refused to contact them to ask why.

After a week customer support finally admitted that they just didn't trust me and that I might never get authorisation 'until Orange confirm the problem'. They didn't have a contact for Orange though!

As you know from my previous post, as suggested on this forum I took it to an orange shop and got them to call from there. A phone call from Customer Service giving authorisation just happened to occur 30 minutes after I got back to the office.

I REALLY want to install the new firmware as I found it significantly better but don't dare just incase of another hardware failure. I would argue a firmware upgrade cannot invalidate warranty and even if they managed to argue that it did, via Orange Care I'm not claiming a warranty repair - however I can see myself banging my head against a brick wall explaining this to Orange - I've found them to be totally unhelpful to the point of purposeful obstruction and rudeness.

The Treo is the ONLY thing keeping me on Orange. I just wish I could risk upgrading it and benefit from the improvements.

I completely agree that Orange are a pile of pants. They are clueless, useless and provide crap support.

With regard to Orange Care- there's more than one acceptable excuse to get a replacement phone.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    i second that orange custmor services is bad and slow its taken them 8 days for their tchincal support to tell that i needed a replacement and i already told that because of you lot
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Well I gave up with Orange as they took 2 weeks to diagnose there was a fault then told me as I didn't have care I had to sort it out via Handspring.

I sent mine to the Handspring site on monday special delivery. And this morning have a replacement!! Now that's good service
    A Novo sent me a replacement - which was faulty also. I returned it and this morning received another one (3 day turnaround) and its has the latest orange firmware:3.05.

What a great service from - A Novo - http://www.handspring.co.uk/support/repair_uk.asp

If you have a fault with your Treo 600 and it is still covered under Warranty - use the following link above and procede to the warranty/repair section, fill in the form and ship it to them including a copy of your receipt.
    I too had the buzzing problem on my Treo - I couldn't hear it and it was weeks before I believed the people moaning at me! I called Orange on Tuesday afternoon - they heard the buzzing and said straight away I could have a replacement. They offered delivery times of 9am-12pm, 12pm-6pm or 6pm-10pm the following day - I opted for the latter and it turned up at 6:30!

Superb service - the woman on the phone even said I need to take out the memory card before I hand it over..

If it makes any difference, I do have insurance and I do speak to the business support department as it's a business phone..

My bill is roughly 100 per month tho' so maybe they thought they'd better hang on to me! :-)
  20. jgk
    Well, I'm now on my 4th Treo 600 from Orange in a year. The first 3 were the "buzzing problem" all after about 3 months, but the latest just suddenly stopping ringing, playing any tones or making any noise when someone was talking to me on it - on speaker-phone, internal speaker and head-set. Very odd!

Anyway, Orange replaced it immediately, without question, total turnround time 14 hours from first call to receipt of new phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast