1.    #1  
    Hello,

I love my Orange France treo 600 but I ran into some problems and I now think it may be defective. I would like to get it replaced but would like to put the orange fw back first. Is there a way ?

a) Most annoying problem : Many people I call tell me they can hear a very loud noise on their side (bzzzt, Bzzzt, Bzzz), and this noise is very often covering my voice.

The horrible noise can be heard from 1% of the time to 80% in the worst cases, and they really can't hear anything I say when it's happening. When it's not happening they report it's crystal clear, especially with the speaker-phone at low levels (to cancel any echo).

I'm sure it's not the network as it happened mostly everywhere, and I also tried with other phones on the same network at the same time.

b) When my battery level is below 25%, the phone refuses to charge ! After a few minutes plugged, the LED sometimes goes blinking (red+green slowly), and the battery doesn't charge and stay at a very low level. I tried the wall charger and a new charge+sync cable, and still get this problem. Very often, I notice the problem when I hear the network un-registration sound (Handspring bye,bye) just a few minutes after plugging the treo to the wall-charger.

When this is happening, I need to unplug the treo from the charger, plug it back again, hope it doesn't RESET and loose all memory (this happened at least twice while replugging), then hope the phone won't go blinking again red+green too soon. After 5-10 times like this, the battery is above 25% and charge continues correctly to 100%.... I really don't understand this issue, and I know it happened with all firmware I tried, and also with a "blank" treo (I mean after a hard reset).

c) Sometimes (this happens about once a week) my battery drains very fast. I didn't catch yet what could be the cause of this, but this often leads me into b)... It seem to happen randomly, and I'm still wondering.

Anyway, It seems I need to have my treo replaced, at least because a) and b) but as I have upgraded to FW 2.08 and then 2.09 (in hope this would have solved the problem), they may reply the warranty is void because of the unsuported updates that have been applied....

My question is simple but I'm not sure there is an answer yet: Is there a known way to put the orange FW back to the phone ? I heard something about an orange update for a car kit, but couldn't find it anywhere, or it doesn't seem to be as complete as the 2.08 / 09 updates.

I was in hope HandSpring would release an official update (2.10 or something) before the end of January... still waiting.

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Stipus
    Last edited by stipus; 02/01/2004 at 07:31 PM.
    Originally posted by stipus
    a) Most annoying problem : Many people I call tell me they can hear a very loud noise on their side (bzzzt, Bzzzt, Bzzz), and this noise is very often covering my voice.
    Never happened to me, so I can't comment. But this one is probably a good reason to ask Orange for a replacement unit!

b) When my battery level is below 25%, the phone refuses to charge !
    <snip>
    Very often, I notice the problem when I hear the network un-registration sound (Handspring bye,bye) just a few minutes after plugging the treo to the wall-charger.

I'd advise you to switch the radio off before charging. Anyway, it's definitely not a good idea to keep it switched on while your battery is (very) low, since you certainly couldn't answer a call anyway. In case of doubt, perform a soft reset before plugging the Treo to the charger...

c) Sometimes (this happens about once a week) my battery drains very fast.
    I've had that happen to me too. It happened to me twice with the orignial Orange FR firmware, and then even more frequently with the 2.09 firmware. Things seem to have improved a bit since I downgraded to 2.08, though. I suspect that some programs do not let the Treo switch to the "sleep" mode when you switch it off. As a result, instead of a very low power consumption (apart from the normal radio drain if the phone is switched on, of course), you get almost the same power drain as when the device is switched on, except that of course the screen doesn't add to the battery drain since it's off.But the overall effect is that your battery is going to be drained in 10 to 12 hours, I'd say (rough estimate). I've installed BatteryGraph, and it showed clearly that this isn't a permanent state, it only occurs from time to time, and I couldn't find out why (third party software bug / incompatibility, phone firmware bug?)

as I have upgraded to FW 2.08 and then 2.09 (in hope this would have solved the problem), they may reply the warranty is void because of the unsuported updates that have been applied....
    You might still want to try returning the phone, they might not necessarily notice that the firmware has been modified, especially if you can get a replacement unit directly from the shop where the vendors may not even know how to display the firmware version. Also, one could probably easily create overlays with the Orange icons, or just copy the Orange version of the ROM applications in RAM to masquerade as an Orange device, that would evade a quick examination...

My question is simple but I'm not sure there is an answer yet: Is there a known way to put the orange FW back to the phone ?
    None that I'm aware of

I heard something about an orange update for a car kit, but couldn't find it anywhere, or it doesn't seem to be as complete as the 2.08 / 09 updates.
    The Orange CarKit updater just reflashes the Firmware (to 2.09 as far as I can remember) and installs a few apps in RAM, but it won't restore the ROM.

I was in hope HandSpring would release an official update (2.10 or something) before the end of January... still waiting.
    Your best bet would be for Orange to release an update (i.e. for Handspring to release an Orange-specific update), but then, maybe it would just refuse to install on a non-Orange device (since your device is now INT GSM version). But as long as HS doesn't release any GSM update, anyway, it's just mere speculation...
    Hi guys,

No luck Stipus

Concerning the service directly in the shop, I'm afraid there's little chance.

As far as I understand Orange France has changed it's organisation and after-sales service is now cencentrated in so called service-centers.

I'm in 78 (Yvelines) and the only service you can get is at the regional Service Centre in Bois d'Arcy.

A friend of mine had a problem with a phone he bought for his wife and had to take it there, non of the shops (Plaisir, Montigny, Rambouillet) would take it.

Good luck,

Ton
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your answers !

As I have an Orange Pro contract, I think they have to send me a new phone in less than 24H. I'll try this.

BTW, do you know if they have new hardware revisions at Orange France ? Mine is hardware rev A, and most people I know that have Orange T600 are also rev A.

I heard latest hardware rev have a subtly higher middle button (on the 5-way navigator) and I would like to get one of them because it's sometimes difficult to hit this button with my big thumb without hitting one of the arrows.

Stipus