1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My Treo 600 (Uk Orange) has developed a fault. I cannot hear anything during a call, although callers can hear me. If I use the speakerphone facility I can then hear them.

Called Orange. They couldn't give me a contact number for a warranty repair as they don't have a 'manufacturer' listed for the Treo! They won't take on a warranty repair directly themselves.

They did however, offer to let me take out their insurance (5 a month) and then I could get a swap-out. However, the technical department need to approve the 'fault' so I will have a wait a few days to find out if they do so or not.

Does all this sound about right for Orange?
    Who did you actually buy the phone from? They are the ones legally responsible for repairing the phone in case of a fault.

If they need to actually send it to Handspring/Palm, that's their problem not yours.
  3.    #3  
    Bought direct from Orange, but they refused to handle it and couldn't give any Handspring details ("Who makes them?"!).

However, they offered their insurance at 5 a month. I accepted and they delivered a replacement Sunday morning. Excellent service, and worth the monthly payment to not have to send the phone away.
    Well, I'm glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction.

Making you buy insurance in order to get a replacement is a violation of your rights.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by melevittfl
    Well, I'm glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction.

Making you buy insurance in order to get a replacement is a violation of your rights.
    I agree and usually would have pushed it further, however paying for insurance to get a replacement ASAP was worth it to me - I've become reliant on the Treo in a very short space of time - a sign of just what an excellent all-round device it is.

I do have 14 days to change my mind and cancel the insurance - I wonder what would happen if I did??!

Thanks for your advice.
    From
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Your+...ods.htm#faulty

The law says it's up to the seller to deal with complaints about defective goods or other failures to comply with your statutory rights. Don't accept the excuse that 'it's the manufacturer's fault,' although you might also have additional rights against the manufacturer under a guarantee.

Sorry to belegure the point, but it annoys me to see people get ripped off.
    Bit of a chancer, but if you still have the knacked T600 would you like to sell it, or did they exchange?
    You don't ask, you don't get :-)
    jimmytait@aol.com
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by scudder
    Bit of a chancer, but if you still have the knacked T600 would you like to sell it, or did they exchange?
    You don't ask, you don't get :-)
    jimmytait@aol.com
    Sorry no, they delivered a new one and collected the old at the same time.

Worth a try though
  9.    #9  
    You're not going to believe this, but last night my replacement Treo 600 developed exactly the same fault (speaker stopped working, caller can hear me fine and speakerphone still works)

Reported it to Orange, who said they had to refer it to Technical (as it was my second faulty phone) and call me back 'in a day or two'. So much for 24 hr replacement.

Going to call them at lunchtime today if I haven't heard. A hardware fault is a hardware fault - and should be replaced ASAP.

Still love the Treo, but could do with it working for more than 3 weeks at a time. Am I just unlucky???
    Hi, Just to let you know that I purchased a Treo 600 from ebay and it had this failure. I had a second working unit and swapped the tiny earpiece device in the broken one with the working one. The one that did not work started working and the one that did work did not work.

So it appears that there is a failure in this small speaker device. Unless someone has a source for these then the only recourse is through the provider you got it from or Palmone direct. Since this is a common failure, I would think that palm would NOT want an outcry on the public forums.

Great Device, love mine.

Mike
    Hi Mlancast. Did u exchange the speaker only or the attached wires too? I have the same problem and I found that if I click on the Dpad buttons very quickily, I can hear the sound come through. This makes me think it is a wiring issue.

Please advise.
    There are no wires on this part. There are two little copper springs that press up against the pcb. It is not an issue of bad contact. The part is defective. I am guessing, that the reason for the palm updater to reduce the bad audio is in part to reduce the volume to this part and the speakerphone part. To much volume will over drive this part and destroy it. I am taking pictures of my Treo that will have lots of inside the guts images.

Will do this soon,

Mike
    Have the same speaker problem. It started geting fuzzy and cutting out every now and then. In the first few days if I shook it a bit it worked (very high tech...). Now sound is gone completely but speakerphone works. Tried to take it to an Orange shop, no luck of course and the only info they could give is palm's website address. Which I tried already, 2 weeks minimum to get it back and wanted to charge me over 100... completely useless if u ask me.

Your advice on the forum was great though, took out Orange care and will hopefully get a replacement in a day or two.