1.    #1  
    I have been trying to upgrage my Treo600 Firmware to 2.08 because I have been having problems receiving calls. A little while ago on this site there was a post:

'T600 informed me about the Zlib that I accepted and managed to deflate the files.

After the deflating, I got in to a loop: 'Make sure your connected to the charger, Do you want to run the update script?' when I answered Yes, got the same box again and again."

I am having exactly the same problems on my UK Orange phone. Has anyone got any solutions as to how I can stop this loop from happening?

Please help.

Liam
  2.    #2  
    OK I have sorted out my problem. The fix was to copy the Siam prc to the Treo memory and not run it from the SD card. Upgrade went like a charm and, so far, all seems to be working well.

I have noticed a little more drain of the battery - anyone else seen this? Also some navigator button presses (in DB5+) cause a soft reset.

I spoke to Orange and Handspring about an "official" FW update and both denied any knowledge of there either ever having been one or that one was intended. So thanks to all on this site for the excellent, expert help.

All the best, Liam
    I too am an Orange UK user of the excellent Treo600. Where can I get hold of the updated software?
    I have noticed a little more drain of the battery - anyone else seen this? Also some navigator button presses (in DB5+) cause a soft reset.
    Yes, there is more battery drain in the new update(s). I haven't experienced any soft resets (uh... period.) Try hotsyncing then hard reset. Sometimes thats all it needs.
    I spoke to Orange and Handspring about an "official" FW update and both denied any knowledge of there either ever having been one or that one was intended. So thanks to all on this site for the excellent, expert help.
    The patch was designed for Handspring Italy. Orange probably wouldn't know about it. Handspring level 1 reps probably wouldn't know about it.

PATCHES
    ------------------------
    2.08 update (preferred)

2.09 update (I have heard of some problems with it)

Hotsync your data. Hard reset (Hold power and reset until screen comes on, release both, press up). Make a new user profile (install) and hotsync the new patch. Make sure your phone is plugged in and run the patch from the Application launcher. Wait about 10 minutes. Hard reset at the very end if it only does a soft reset. Enjoy.
    Last edited by middle_man; 01/20/2004 at 08:50 AM.
    Hi,

My phone fw version is 2.01 and I downloaded the FW updates.
    But I am not an Orange user.
    I have an international generic Treo 600 which has no network locks.

If I use these updates, is there any risk of having my Treo 600 locked ?

has any international user with no-lock phone tried it ?

And is it possible to upgrade without "hard reset" ?

Thanks.
    I am an Orange (UK) Treo user. CAn I use the upgrade? CAn I back up my current firmware 1st?
    Originally posted by ilkera
    Hi,

My phone fw version is 2.01 and I downloaded the FW updates.
    But I am not an Orange user.
    I have an international generic Treo 600 which has no network locks.

If I use these updates, is there any risk of having my Treo 600 locked ?
    No, there's no risk. As long as your phone came unlocked, it won't lock it. However, if you had to unlock your phone with an unlock code, it will be locked again after the upgrade and you have to enter the unlock code again.

Note that the upgrade is offically released for Handspring Italy and they only sell unlocked phones in Italy.

has any international user with no-lock phone tried it ?
    Yes, plenty and they all seem to be happy with it.

And is it possible to upgrade without "hard reset" ?
    No. The upgrade will automatically hard reset at the end and there's nothing you can do about it. So make sure you've done a backup before starting the process.

Thanks.
    You're welcome.
    Originally posted by keyzersoze
    I am an Orange (UK) Treo user. CAn I use the upgrade? CAn I back up my current firmware 1st?
    Yes you can safely upgrade (see the posts above for example). But no, you can't backup your current firmware, i.e. once you've upgraded to 2.08 you can't go back. You can go back from 2.09 to 2.08 though.

It means your phone can be recognized by Orange as upgraded so if you're worried about voiding your warranty then don't upgrade.
    Thanks for the replies...

The latest firmware I have is 2.09. Is there a newer software ?
    Hello,

Firstly, thank you all for creating such a wonderful chat forum. I am glad to be part of it!

I downloaded the updates, as descirbed on this site/forum. Installed everything and it all works. Great. I've lost some of my Orange sepcific icons/pictures and backup softeare, but I can live with that.

However, the phone is NOT SIM unlocked.

Interesting....
    Originally posted by keyzersoze
    Hello,

Firstly, thank you all for creating such a wonderful chat forum. I am glad to be part of it!

I downloaded the updates, as descirbed on this site/forum. Installed everything and it all works. Great. I've lost some of my Orange sepcific icons/pictures and backup softeare, but I can live with that.

However, the phone is NOT SIM unlocked.

Interesting....
    Personally I was quite happy to get rid of the Orange icons, and the backup and update applications are totally useless so I'm glad they aren't taking up any space anymore.

To unlock the phone you will still have to run the patched subset of the 2.09 firmware. Do a search on the forum for the instructions and the download, the techwarelabs link should still be working.
    Thanks for your help. I got it working with other SIM cards/networks.

ONe question... if I perfrom a hard reset in the future, will I lose the updates/unlocked feature, or is it now a permanent feature of the Firmware?
    Your phone will remain unlocked following a hard reset, but any further FW upgrades will re-lock the phone (hopefully any future upgrades will still allow the patched file to unlock it again)
    Originally posted by scudder
    hopefully any future upgrades will still allow the patched file to unlock it again
    I'd love to make a bet on that one...
    After two long months looking at "my" treo without using it I found your message and now :

IT WORKS !!

Thanks to you all!!!