Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    to all those users with ORANGE UK phones.

I upgraded the ROM and the phone works just fine. In fact, it comes with better software, but you lose all the Orange UK specific software.

My phone was originally locked by Orange. After the ROM update I had to redo the unlocking code.

Bottom line: AN IMPROVEMENT

I will post comments as to whether the echo has gone and all other bugs fixed.
    Originally posted by euroclie
    You should also note (by hand) the various parameters in your softwares (server addresses, server phone numbers, etc.) because the new firmware/ROM are generic ones, not tied to a specific carrier, so you might have some problems reconfiguring your applications later.
    A smal complement to the restoring:

If you did a clean (good) hotsync before upgrading, a bunch of files called "Carrierprofiles, Networkprofiles, etc" are also restored so everything that was there before (Network, etc), will be there afterwards.

I did two upgrades (2.08 & 2.09) and only LauncherX is a mess because it can't read it's DB's anymore. So if you use LauncherX without doing anything, it will crash your phone.

The remedy is to MOVE two files (LauncherX_MjXX_appl_a68k & LauncherX_CachedIcons) to your SD card and then restart LauncherX. It will recreate the two files and your in business again.
    Only you have to presonalize LauncherX all over again .

Hope this helped.

Bye,

Ton

PS Ah another point, if you use AvantGO you need to get all the images back (they vanish during the update), start the AGConnect program, open settings and tick "Refresh All Content". After this do a Hotsync and Avantgo is back also!
    Hi,

after the last fw upgrade when I receive an MMS my phone crashes.

Anybody has experienced the same result ?
    Ciao

Ettore
    I successfully upgraded my firmware to 2.09 from 2.08 and so far I see no significant difference between the two in call quality or audio quality. Any feedback from those who have installed this update successfully out there? Please post! Thanks
    "What good is a smartphone when it's MORE smart and LESS phone?"
    Originally posted by vespa5
    I successfully upgraded my firmware to 2.09 from 2.08 and so far I see no significant difference between the two in call quality or audio quality. Any feedback from those who have installed this update successfully out there? Please post! Thanks
    No changes noticed either.
    I have a Cingular Treo 600 (T-Mobile is my carrier) and I had updated it to 2.08 back when the update first appeared. After the update the unit seemed to have slightly better voice quality, signal strength and much faster GPRS download speeds.

Since then I've updated the unit to 2.09 and noticed a severe increase in dropped calls and a serious decline in signal strength. To top it off GPRS has trouble connecting at times. I end up having to manually disconnect and re-connect GPRS to get a stable connection.

I'm fairly positive it has nothing to do with my carrier...

Whenever my unit is having thses issues I test my brother's unlocked Tungsten W (also used on T-Mobile) and it has no problem making solid GPRS connections using the exact same APN(s). I'll also place my SIM into another phone that's always had similar signal strength as my Treo (w/2.02 or 2.08 FW) and it will work fine... no dropped calls, excellent signal strength.

I've also tried using the unit as-is right after a hard reset as well as after a "battery disconnect" reset to no avail. I'm convinced that the 2.09 update is not meant for me. Which brings me to my question:

Has anyone tried going back from 2.09 to 2.08? I would imagine it makes no difference what version the unit currently is and what version you are trying to load. If anyone has further insight on this issue or any tips please share. I love my Treo and I want it running optimally for me.

Thank you
    SKILLLLLLZ
    I suggest you wait for a 2.10 release. Downgrading may well turn your Treo into a paperweight...
    Thats exactly what I'm affraid of. I've wasted money on stupid things before but never $600 on a paperweight.

Does anyone have any idea how the update works? Does it blindly write the firmware to the Flash-ROM or does it check the existing version number?
    Here's a German shop that resells the Treo 600 and they have a plain and clear link to the 2.08 software...
    Actually, again, I don't see any difference between 2.08 and 2.09. I have AT&T Wireless and 2.09 has not diminished my performance via GPRS nor has it affected my call quality negatively. No offense, but Cingular isn't exactly the greatest wireless phone provider when it comes to reception for phones in general, digital or gsm. I used to have Cingular and getting reception was a rarity at times here in the SF Bay Area. But, the 2.09 upgrade has not done anything negative so far to my phone
    "What good is a smartphone when it's MORE smart and LESS phone?"
    I guess you didn't read my entire post... My carrier isn't Cingular nor does it have anything to do with my problem as per the testing I have done.
    I've tried, but it's not possible. The initial scripts is aware of the current fw version and stops upgrading and resets the phone.

Nothing bad, you just have to cancel all the files of the update that have been decompressed in the RAM.
    Ciao

Ettore
    Pls ignore this message... typo

Last edited by redarrow; 01/07/2004 at 06:20 PM.
    Sorry about the Cingular reference per your Treo running on T-mo. IMHO, 2.09 actually improved call quality a tad and the misc. outside noise during a call regarding the GSM version has diminished so much, it sounds like I'm talking to a disconnected caller, when in fact the call quality is that much improved. this is all of course from an unlocked ATTWS on ATTWS. I have noticed a HUGE difference in call clarity when popping in a Cingular chip instead of a ATT chip. I'm gonna try out a T-mo chip and post my findings later.
    A few questions...

I am reading that people are seeing uptick in GPRS speed as firmware is updated. How can you tell your speed of GPRS transmission? I have Treo600 GSM on ATTWS and have Software B and Firmware 2.04. I have no clue how to get GPRS speed but would like to know.
    I do have a bad echo on other end so I am interested in trying upgrade but I am checiked to do it and botch it up. I am afraid to lose my paid for software and mess my Treo600 up.

Can someone email me the way to measure GPRS speed.

casalejr@optonline.net
    Originally posted by skillllllz
    I have a Cingular Treo 600 (T-Mobile is my carrier) and I had updated it to 2.08 back when the update first appeared. After the update the unit seemed to have slightly better voice quality, signal strength and much faster GPRS download speeds.

Since then I've updated the unit to 2.09 and noticed a severe increase in dropped calls and a serious decline in signal strength. To top it off GPRS has trouble connecting at times. I end up having to manually disconnect and re-connect GPRS to get a stable connection.

I'm fairly positive it has nothing to do with my carrier...

Whenever my unit is having thses issues I test my brother's unlocked Tungsten W (also used on T-Mobile) and it has no problem making solid GPRS connections using the exact same APN(s). I'll also place my SIM into another phone that's always had similar signal strength as my Treo (w/2.02 or 2.08 FW) and it will work fine... no dropped calls, excellent signal strength.

I've also tried using the unit as-is right after a hard reset as well as after a "battery disconnect" reset to no avail. I'm convinced that the 2.09 update is not meant for me. Which brings me to my question:

Has anyone tried going back from 2.09 to 2.08? I would imagine it makes no difference what version the unit currently is and what version you are trying to load. If anyone has further insight on this issue or any tips please share. I love my Treo and I want it running optimally for me.

Thank you
    SKILLLLLLZ
    Skillllz,

I also have a Cingular branded T6, and run on T-Mob's network.
    I went through exactly what you talked about in your post above.
    I updated the F/W from 2.08 to 2.09, expecting to see even more improvements, based on my initial upgrade to 2.08 experience.

Didn't happen. My GPRS connection started crawling, and eventually stopped connecting to the internet all together.

I performed a hard reset, and re-installed 2.08, and BOOM!!
    GPRS was back in the house!

I'd suggest re-installing 2.08. Don't know if there are any repercusions, but it DEFINITELY worked for me.

I find it strange, though, that not everyone that upgraded from 2.08 to 2.09 had this problem. In fact, until I read your post, I thought I was the only one this happened to.

Rgds,

aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Hi,

I also went from 2.08 to 2.09 the day it came available.

There are two things that are strange with this new FW: It seems to put my phone in a "deep sleep" when I don't use it for some hours and has difficulties to "wake up".

Two days in a row I wanted to turn the wireless mode of after hours of not using it. The mode turned of but the LED kept blinking green; Only a soft reset could stop it.

Yesterday evening I noticed that the battery indicator was still on 100% after a whole day of use again only a soft reset brought it to the normal level (82%).

Never had these problems with the original or the 2.08 FW - anyone else has this experience?

Bye,

Ton

Addition: Had to do a soft reset again to get the battery indicator work this morning - Stayed on 100% and dropped to 92% after reset
    Last edited by Tonio78370; 01/09/2004 at 04:05 AM.
    Originally posted by aolumide

Skillllz,

I also have a Cingular branded T6, and run on T-Mob's network.
    I went through exactly what you talked about in your post above.
    I updated the F/W from 2.08 to 2.09, expecting to see even more improvements, based on my initial upgrade to 2.08 experience.

Didn't happen. My GPRS connection started crawling, and eventually stopped connecting to the internet all together.

I performed a hard reset, and re-installed 2.08, and BOOM!!
    GPRS was back in the house!

I'd suggest re-installing 2.08. Don't know if there are any repercusions, but it DEFINITELY worked for me.

I find it strange, though, that not everyone that upgraded from 2.08 to 2.09 had this problem. In fact, until I read your post, I thought I was the only one this happened to.

Rgds,

aolumide
    Thank you for your reply. I did a hard reset last night and then performed the 2.08 update and it sucessfully overwrote 2.09 without a hitch. I'm still testing the unit out so I still don't know if it's really going to behave the way I want it to. I will report my findings as the days progress. Once again thank you for your input.

SKILLLLLLZ
    Originally posted by Tonio78370

Yesterday evening I noticed that the battery indicator was still on 100% after a whole day of use again only a soft reset brought it to the normal level (82%).

Never had these problems with the original or the 2.08 FW - anyone else has this experience?

Bye,

Ton

Addition: Had to do a soft reset again to get the battery indicator work this morning - Stayed on 100% and dropped to 92% after reset
    I'v had this problem several times with the original software. Hasn't happened yet with the 2.09.
    When you say "not connecting" is there any chance your network prefs are defaulting to VPN (T-Mobile)? I have this problem where the device tries to connect on VPN instead of "TMO Internet" (my default) and sometimes never corrects itself on its won. I have to select "Zones" in order to reset the default to "Internet." I have had this problem from the first days of my 270 and still have it on my 600. T-Mobile denies it, but they are wrong. It's a bug in the T-Mobile carrierprofile file. If this is the case, and I'm not saying it is, the FW upgrade/downgrade will simply reset the carrierprofile and network prefs and you're good to go, leading you to believe you had a FW conflict. Just a thought, in case what you're experiencing is not really a FW issue.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast