Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    how is the update doing for you Mol?
    Still in the process of applying it. I thought I'd upload the file first to the site.
    nice
    I will email HS for additional info if it is for the sprint version as well, thansk a million as always, Jay
    Ps I will post thier reply here, J
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Originally posted by Mol

Still in the process of applying it. I thought I'd upload the file first to the site.
    Finished the upgrade using the same process as for 2.08 and made a few calls. Couldn't notice anything different compared to 2.08.

FYI, I didn't have the ZLib warning anymore, but I assume that people upgrading straight to 2.09 still may receive this warning.
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    I will email HS for additional info if it is for the sprint version as well, thansk a million as always, Jay
    Ps I will post thier reply here, J
    I highly recommend NOT contacting HS about unofficial FW updates found on the web. This will only irritate them.

These updates are NOT for CDMA versions of the Treo 600. It is specifically designed to update the International GSM version only (however it does work on most other GSM units). Using one of these updates on a CDMA version will result in an error message or corrupt unit which cannot be restored.
    Originally posted by euroclie

I didn't install it yet... Still want to have a backup solution to restore the Orange ROM before I do anything permanent! But Tonio has performed the 2.09 upgrade, and seems happy with it! Have fun!
    In my quest to keep feeding you useful information

It appears that there may be something "unique" to the Orange firmware. I was checking out the Handspring web page for the T600 car kit software earlier today. A couple of interesting things there. The Sprint link just says "not until the actual car kit for CDMA is available", but there are working choices for every kind of GSM T600 (Orange, T-Mo, Cing, INT, etc). All the GSM links point to the exact same file, except for the Orange link, which points to an updater (rather than a simple "prc"). The Orange updater does a firmware update instead of just installing the prc file. There are messages throughout the Orange updater warning that it is ONLY for the Orange T600. This may simply be that the Orange phone comes with additional software in firmware. The Orange specific car kit updater doesn't appear to have any new ROM code, just firmware. And the messages about saving and restoring the simlock database that are seen in the 208/209 ROM updaters are in this car kit updater for Orange too.

The other interesting thing was a mention that the car kit software was NOT needed for those (with ANY brand T600) who have firmware 1.0.9 or later.

Here's the url to the handspring car kit page with the software downloads, if you're interested:

http://support.handspring.com/esupport/html/carkit.jsp

Bill S
    Originally posted by Mol

Finished the upgrade using the same process as for 2.08 and made a few calls. Couldn't notice anything different compared to 2.08.

FYI, I didn't have the ZLib warning anymore, but I assume that people upgrading straight to 2.09 still may receive this warning.
    even though I haven't applied any of the patches, I want to thank you for your time and web space to this effort.

I sure all you trail blazers will get all of us a better update.

anyhow, did 2.08 effect your battery? I think you said it did. Does 2.09 help or hurt that?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I've downloaded the 2.09 FW now how do I install it? I synced it with my T600 and nothing happened. I still have the 2.02 fw.

Thanks for any help.
    Originally posted by tvBilly

In my quest to keep feeding you useful information

It appears that there may be something "unique" to the Orange firmware.
    <snip>
    This may simply be that the Orange phone comes with additional software in firmware. The Orange specific car kit updater doesn't appear to have any new ROM code, just firmware.
    <snip>
    The other interesting thing was a mention that the car kit software was NOT needed for those (with ANY brand T600) who have firmware 1.0.9 or later.
    The Treo 600 devices with a Software version (i.e. ROM version, not Firmware version) of 1.0.9 or newer don't need the Car Kit application. So basically every device will need it, except for the upgraded devices (since the new ROM version is 1.0.9, right?)

IMHO the "unique" thing in Orange devices is that they include a very old firmware/ROM. I've just checked the GSM Treo 600 Hardware/Firmware Revs thread here, and I see that a lot of non-Orange devices have 2.x Firmwares, and 1.06 or newer ROM, whereas the Orange Treo have 01.15 Firmware with 1.0 ROM...

My (blind) guess is that the 1.x firmware are probably too old and don't include some necessary features, so the Orange Car Kit Updater reflashes a newer (2.x?) Firmware and installs the Car Kit Application as well.

Also, I've searched the updater for those simlock-related functions, and indeed there are some interesting things. This is in the "Device Customizer.prc" file, in the Code 1 resource, but to me it looks more like a table listing the various error or status messages than to a chain of commands that are executed one after each other...

Here's a (loosely formatted) quote from this file:

Command:
    help
    list - List the scenario files
    run <file> - Run the scenario file
    finish - Clean up and reset

start download
    Ready to receive XMODEM file.

Download Complete

savetrace
    Saving Trace Database...
    Error: 0x%x
    Success!

restoretrace
    Restoring Trace Database

cleartrace
    Clearing the trace database...
    Error clearing the trace database.
    Trace datbase cleared.

savesimlock
    Saving SIM Lock Database...

restoresimlock
    Restoring SIM Lock Database...

checkstate
    Saved State Status:
    Saved
    Not Saved

savestate
    Saving DC State...
    Error: 0x%Lx
    Success!

restorestate
    Restoring DC State...

inforeq

creatert
    Creating the ROM Token Database...

Scenario File not compatible.
    Error Code: 0x%Lx
    Cannot find the Scenario File.
    Error retreiving Scenario File
    Error Creating ROM Token Database: 0x%Lx
    Created ROM Token Database

createcp
    Creating the CDMA Params Database...
    Error Creating CDMA Params Database: 0x%Lx
    Created CDMA Params Database

klon
    Keylock on

kloff
    Keylock off
    This looks very interesting, indeed. There's also, somewhat later in the code a part that read:

RestoreDBFromSD
    Saving the SIM Lock PDB
    SaveSimLockDBToSD
    FirmwareLock
    SaveSimLockDBToSD
    Restoring the SIM Lock PDB
    RestoreSimLockDBFromSD
    RestoreSimLockDBFromSD
    Saving the Mini Param PDB
    SaveMiniParamDBToSD
    FirmwareParam
    SaveMiniParamDBToSD
    Restoring the Mini Param PDB
    RestoreMiniParamDBFromSD
    RestoreMiniParamDBFromSD
    cmdLogRequest
    <TraceLog>
    <TraceDB>
    Error in dumping the trace database.
    </TraceDB>
    </TraceLog>
    Obviously (and I mean it, this time! ) the Device Customizer application is a script-based utility that can perform some good deal of ROM/Firmware update and various other operations for debugging purpose. There's a form in this application which explicitely indicates "Please select the Device Customizer scenario you wish to run" and lets you chose a scenario in a table. Those scenario are probably .pdb files, with a HSDC creator ID (like the Device Customizer application itself), but the content of those files needs to be studied for anything useful to be done.

In the SIAM Updater, there is one such script, which first include a reference to "AppInflater", then to "TokenWriter", then "Firmware Updater", then "GSM ROM Updater".

In the Orange Car Kit updater, we find again the Device Customizer application, with another script which include references to "AppInflater", then "CarKit Checker App", then "Firmware Updater", then "TokenWriter", then "Set TraceDB to Tiny", then "CarKit Cleaner App".
    (the CarKit Checker App and CarKit Cleaner App are applications which are included in the updater).

OK, enough for now...

Anyway, Bill, a big thank you for the link to the Orange Car Kit Updater, this will certainly help gather more data to try and understand how all this works. If we can at least provide a way for people to restore their original firmware/ROM and/or to achieve a better knowledge of what can/can't be done regarding those updates, then it'll be a big step forward!

PS: Sorry for the long post!
    Originally posted by euroclie
    Obviously (and I mean it, this time! ) the Device Customizer application is a script-based utility that can perform some good deal of ROM/Firmware update and various other operations for debugging purpose.

I agree. I think pretty much all the main info in in there for us to figure out. It appears I may have been using the "wrong" words for the two main functions, updating the software (programs) and updating the operating system, but we absolutely agree on what is actually happening, even if I called the two operations with the wrong words.

Anyway, Bill, a big thank you for the link to the Orange Car Kit Updater, this will certainly help gather more data to try and understand how all this works. If we can at least provide a way for people to restore their original firmware/ROM and/or to achieve a better knowledge of what can/can't be done regarding those updates, then it'll be a big step forward!

My pleasure; my intent too, even if you wind up doing most of the work.
    ps Just read a good message from Vulcan, so I edited my reply. Check out this thread; more possibly useful information...
    <http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...45571/s/h.html>
    Last edited by tvBilly; 01/04/2004 at 01:05 PM.
    I wish we could figure out how to remove the dang carkit .prc so that we could use Sandman

I also find it interesting that there is much less response to this thread as opposed to the last one. I guess people are fairly satisfied with the 2.08 update
    Originally posted by Felipe

even though I haven't applied any of the patches, I want to thank you for your time and web space to this effort.
    You're welcome. I enjoy this site so much that I'm happy enough to be able to contribute a little myself.

anyhow, did 2.08 effect your battery? I think you said it did. Does 2.09 help or hurt that?
    Too early to tell but I'll try to remember to post an update in a few days.
    i was able to run the FW launcher "SIAM" however after it installs the necesary files, it keeps asking me "Are you sure you want to run dvice customizer script HS Engineering SiamIntl?" over and over again and I just keep hitting OK but nothing happens.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Originally posted by mytdux
    i was able to run the FW launcher "SIAM" however after it installs the necesary files, it keeps asking me "Are you sure you want to run dvice customizer script HS Engineering SiamIntl?" over and over again and I just keep hitting OK but nothing happens.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Hi,

I guess you're trying the update from the SD card?

Same thing happened to me when I tried to do the 2.08 update from the card.

To get it done I did the update directly from the phone.

Did a Hotsync (so everything was well saved on PC)
    A hard reset and UNDER A NEW NAME. hotsynced the SIAM file to the phone.
    Ran the update without problems
    After the hard reset hotsynced under my usual name to reinstal everything as it was before.

When running the update be sure to have the charger connected!

Good Luck!

Ton
    Hi all,

I've played a bit with the content of the SIAM updater, so I'll share my (very limited) discoveries with you here.

First of all, it's possible to run the "Device Customizer.prc" application alone (well, if you install the appropriate locale matching your language as well, of course). When launched, it will complain that there is no scenario available, and switch to advanced mode.

From there, you can type your commands, it's like a text-only command mode, like in DOS. If you type "help" (+ the return key), you'll get the short help message about the run/list/finish commands.

I tried of course to type "savesimlock", but I wasn't able to find any new file created in the process. On the other hand, my Treo 600 is already unlocked, so maybe when there's no sim-locking active, the result is empty. This could also be caused by the fact that I didn't have the appropriate/expected directory on my SD card to save the file into, and maybe the program just failed silently... Anyway, this is strange, because it still does display "Success" after typing that command.

I've had a look (using an hex editor) at the trace database created during the Device Customizer program execution, and after the savesimlock command I see that the "SaveSimLockDBToSD" function is called, so there should/could be a file created on the SD card.

I tried this with and without the GSM function activated, the result seems the same (except that I get the "Success" message immediately when the phone is switched off, and after a brief moment when switched on...).

I tried others commands, but didn't get anything useful...

Otherwise, I installed the "AppInflater" application along with the enUS locale, and installed the Firmware0.prc to Firmware8.prc files, as well as the ROM0.prc to ROM5.prc files, and when launching the AppInflater application the above-mentionned files are silently and automatically expanded, giving you a bunch of new files (namely FirmwareFlasher.pdb, FirmwarePatch.pdb, FirmwareStackRel.pdb (this one contains the actual firmware), FirmwareUpdater.prc with its 5 localized overlays (deDE, enUS, esES, frFR and itiT), and the ROMUpdater.prc application (which contain the new ROM) with its five localized overlays.

While this is definitely a good step forward, I'm still stuck because of the following things:

1) The new firmware is not in a PalmOS-like format, and I can't figure yet where it is located in the device. I've scanned my own ROM dump for something which would remotely look like that, but haven't found anything, so if it's in the FlashROM chip, it may not be at an address which is dumped by the program I used (ROM Transfer Extension). Maybe it's higher in ROM than the ROM itself...

2) The new ROM format is strange. It is (naturally enough) split into 512 separate resources of 16384 bytes each. The weird thing is that the first RomI resource look like a tiny ROM (it includes only one file called MicroRom), the second RomI resource looks like some sort of table (haven't taken the time to look at it yet), the third resource is again some sort of ROM Image with a lot of stuff about compression/decompression, and a big part which seems compressed. This compressed part is spawned on multiple resources (up to resource number 128 or so), then we find again some uncompressed ROM parts (stuff about Blazer first, then about the Phone application, Camera application, etc...) but there might be some more compressed stuff after that...

All in all, I must confess that I was expecting that things wouldn't be very simple. After all, I can't see how they would reflash the ROM, i.e. the OS itself, easily because the reflashing program is actually using the OS, so a lot of the files in ROM would be "locked" (in a programming sense). I have the feeling that the reflasher first install a mini ROM somewhere else in the FlashROM chip, then from there it does proceed with the actual reflashing of the main ("normal") part of the ROM.

But again I face some compressed stuff so I really need a program capable of handling this (anyone has good programming skills and a good knowledge of the Zlib library?)

I was thinking about simply replacing the new ROM with an old ROM, and provide a way to restore the original ROM, but the new ROM isn't in a trivial format, so this isn't easy to manage...

Also, there's an alert message in the ROM updater application that explains that you can't run the ROM updater application alone, it must be called by the Device Customizer script... Not that this will be very difficult to handle, but it certainly won't make our task easier!

If someone with a 2.08 or 2.09-upgraded device can get in touch with me, I could use some informations from the ROM of these devices to compare with the content of the updater files (my own device is safely remaining with the Orange firmware/ROM until I have a clearer view of all this! )
    Patrick, I'm trying to send you the ROM from my 2.09 Treo but your email address is bounching. Any idea why?

BTW, I have no clue what you're doing but I'm more than happy to send you files if it's of any help
    I would love a couple of simple answers to these questions as Im not a techie.

Will the upgrade deal with the echo problem on the speakerpone, fix the camera bugs?

How do I backup my EXISTING setup in case I need to restore it?
    Originally posted by ekerbuddy
    I would love a couple of simple answers to these questions as Im not a techie.
    OK, Let's try to do that...

Will the upgrade deal with the echo problem on the speakerpone
    Many users have reported a better sound quality during phone calls with the updated firmware. I remember also the echo problem to be mentionned, but I don't know if it's been fixed entirely. IMHO it's both a software and hardware problem, so it might not disappear entirely even after the upgrade... I'm sure other people who have performed the upgrade can answer better to that question.

fix the camera bugs?
    Not that I'm aware of, but again I didn't test this myself...

How do I backup my EXISTING setup in case I need to restore it?
    You can (and should) perform a hotsync and/or use third party programs to backup your device RAM before applying the patch, so that you can restore your data after the upgrade (because it WILL erase everything in RAM).

You should also note (by hand) the various parameters in your softwares (server addresses, server phone numbers, etc.) because the new firmware/ROM are generic ones, not tied to a specific carrier, so you might have some problems reconfiguring your applications later.

You will not be able to restore the original ROM and/or firmware. I'm working on it, though, but I wouldn't count on it if I were you... Understand that although these upgrades originate from Handspring (Italy), they're not officially supported except if HandSrpring Italy emailed them to you directly, so don't perform the upgrade if you feel that you might need to revert to your current version someday, either because the new one doesn't work, or because you need some tech support (broken screen or speaker, I don't know...) from your carrier...

Hope this helps!
    Many thanks.

Q: Do you know if it should work regardless of the carrier I originally purchased it through? I bought it LOCKED from Orange UK and got it unlocked by them.
    Originally posted by ekerbuddy
    Q: Do you know if it should work regardless of the carrier I originally purchased it through? I bought it LOCKED from Orange UK and got it unlocked by them.
    As long as it's a GSM Treo, and not a CDMA one, the upgrade should work.

For most users, there was no change concerning the simlock status (i.e. the locked devices were still locked, and the unlocked ones remained unlocked), except for one Orange user which reported that his unlocked phone was locked again after applying the upgrade...

Hope this helps...
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast