1.    #1  
    I recently bought a Treo 600 from Orange to be able to provide telnet style support over GPRS while talking to the customer.

I've experienced the same problems with connecting to GPRS as is documented elsewhere on this site but I was not able to recieve a call or make one while I was using the GPRS link. That is to say that bytes were moving across the link. As soon as, for example, the page has loaded, voice calls are again OK.

I reported this to Orange 156 and someone did call me back on several occasions. Sadly, I've just been called and told that this is now a recognised fault with the Treo 600.

I find it hard to believe that the product could have been marketed with such capabilities only to find that it doesn't work. In my experience, some of the 'support' coming back from Orange can be way short of the mark!

My questions are; does anyone else have the same problem or even better found a workaround and does anyone have any experience with a different GPRS device being able to carry voice and data simultaneously.
    Originally posted by sambo
    ...I was not able to recieve a call or make one while I was using the GPRS link. That is to say that bytes were moving across the link...
    As far as I am aware it is a known limitation of GPRS over GSM that voice and data transfer cannot take place simultaneously. However it was my understanding that voice would take precedence over data. However I've just done a test by trying to ring my (Orange UK) Treo while fetching email and the voice call diverted straight to voicemail.

In practice this is not a major issue for me since I only use data for a few minutes a day and am otherwise very happy with the device but it does appear to be the opposite behaviour to what the marketing blurb for the Treo claims.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    I've just tested my French Orange phone and have exactly the same thing. Normally with a Class B GPRS device, the data session should be suspended as soon as a voice call is recieved or initiated. All other GPRS phones I've had (Nokia 8310, 6310 and SonyEricsson T610 and P800) will work this way, which is what I consider proper behaviour.

I've registered a support issue with Handspring France since I consider this improper behaviour for a Class B device. I suggest we all do the same!

DS
    I have an Swiss-Orange branded Treo which is unlocked (don't ask...).

With my Orange SIM in, I experience the same problem as you all. But as soon as I put my Swisscom SIM in, I get the exact opposite. That is, I can surf, a call comes in, I take the call and as soon as I hang up, my surfing continues.

So, I don't think the problem is solely down to the Treo. It sounds more like something very Orangesque

I agree in that the Orange marketing was wide of the mark with regard to this 'feature'.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Just tested with my upgraded Orange France phone. The upgrade hasn't changed anything, i.e. it's still going to voice mail when I'm using the GPRS connection.

From what nzmoko is saying it sounds like it's a problem in the Orange network. Does anybody know the behavior using other phones on the Orange network?
    Based on this 'oversight' I wonder if those subscribing to Orange can demand that their phone is unlocked so this feature - which Orange advertised - can actually work (via a rivals SIM) ?
    www.gsmworld.com
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by nzmoko
    Based on this 'oversight' I wonder if those subscribing to Orange can demand that their phone is unlocked so this feature - which Orange advertised - can actually work (via a rivals SIM) ?
    It's not just Orange - I have T-Mobile and I get the same behaviour

Danita
    Originally posted by Danitaz

It's not just Orange - I have T-Mobile and I get the same behaviour

Danita
    Obviously, you all need to move to Swiss technology
    www.gsmworld.com
    I'm on Orange, and not noticed this problem yet as I sometimes carry 2 Treos. Will give it a try today.

Maybe it's because Orange UK GPRS is down half the time (exaggerates).

Then again, I've been on O2 for a while, and T-Mobile when they were called One-2-One in the UK.
    Calls would sometimes go straight to voicemail even if I wasn't using GPRS or even had GPRS enabled!
    As mentioned, I raised this with Handspring and Orange support. According to them, this is working as it should (which I think indicates a cheap GPRS radio solution since this is definitely not the case with a lot of other radios).

They categorically state that this is a feature of the radio and will work this way on any network, with any SIM.

Having just switched from a SonyEricsson P800 which worked properly (i.e. suspended the data session irrespective of data transfer) and having always considered this a key feature in projects which included GPRS, I'm noticing this quite a lot. Guess I'll have to wait to see how much it annoys me and what other device I could switch to if it remains an issue (now I've started using the Treo, I certainly couldn't go back to something like the P800/P900 and cannot even bear the thought of a Smartphone/PocketPC Phone Edtion solution!)

Not happy.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    )Obviously, you all need to move to Swiss technology

das han I gerade au gedacht! <g>

I've tested a bit more.

browsing, versamail and shoutcast streams will not give way to an incoming call. Verichat, however, will.

for what that's worth

Danita
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    )Obviously, you all need to move to Swiss technology

das han I gerade au gedacht! <g>

I've tested a bit more.

browsing, versamail and shoutcast streams will not give way to an incoming call. Verichat, however, will.

for what that's worth

Danita
    are you on tmobile usa or in europe?
    I've just tried surfing with Blazer with GPRS. If a call comes in the Treo puts up the 'Answer Call? dialog.

So it seems Orange UK is now working as it should.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sbono13

are you on tmobile usa or in europe?
    T-Mobile USA

Danita
    If you are just reading a page in Blazer, the treo 600 (GSM/GPRS) will let you answer the call. If you are actively downloading data with Blazer (or probably any other TCPIP app), the GSM/GPRS T600 will put your call to voice mail.

It probably _should_ drop the data connection and allow you to answer the voice, but it doesn't appear to here.

It would be interesting to try the same test on a 270 with identical SIM card and carrier...
    Originally posted by jaytee
    If you are just reading a page in Blazer, the treo 600 (GSM/GPRS) will let you answer the call. If you are actively downloading data with Blazer (or probably any other TCPIP app), the GSM/GPRS T600 will put your call to voice mail.

It probably _should_ drop the data connection and allow you to answer the voice, but it doesn't appear to here.

It would be interesting to try the same test on a 270 with identical SIM card and carrier...
    Soo... I tried it with a 270. The 270 reacts 'correctly'! Even if I am actively downloading content with Blazer, the 270 stops the data transfer and allows me to answer the call. The 600 does not do this. (It works fine if I'm in Blazer but not actively downloading data, but not if there's data coming down the pipe.)
    Originally posted by tgabber

As far as I am aware it is a known limitation of GPRS over GSM that voice and data transfer cannot take place simultaneously. However it was my understanding that voice would take precedence over data. However I've just done a test by trying to ring my (Orange UK) Treo while fetching email and the voice call diverted straight to voicemail.
    The SonyEricsson and XDA have been doing GPRS + voice feature since the beginning. The treo600 OS lack multitasking to be able to handle say 'browsing the web' and talking at the same time.
    Originally posted by Sarabande

The treo600 OS lack multitasking to be able to handle say 'browsing the web' and talking at the same time.
    Actually, it's not the OS lacking multitasking that is the problem - PalmOS can suspend Blazer to take a voice call without any problems (earlier Treos such as the 270 did this, apparently - see further up in the thread).

The issue is either due to the software such as Blazer itself (which seems likely since apparently Verichat handles the interrupt properly) or due to the radio not being able to handle the arrival of voice call when a GPRS data transfer is active.

Well, I suppose we can hope this will be fixed in the firmware update promised for January, though Handspring seem to see this as normal behaviour so I'm not holding my breath!

DS