1.    #1  
    Originally posted by nwhitfield
    If you travel internationally, you should always store all your numbers in the "+country area phone" format. GSM is clever enough that it will work out the proper information at dial time, and you'll be charged correctly.
    Is the "+" dialing prefix recognized by all GSM providers?

Cingular says:

Q: How do I make international long distance calls?
    A: To make an international long distance call from your wireless phone, dial 011 + country code + city/area code (if applicable) + local telephone number. Press Send or Talk.
    T-Mobile specified that one should use "+". Actually T-Mobile customer service said one could use either "+" or "011".

Cingular CS said "yes, I think you can only use 011 and not +". Since she didn't sound so certain I was hoping someone here knows.

I'm pretty sure that's a standard but does anybody know of a GSM network that does not recognize the "+" dialing prefix?
    Last edited by Sprinter; 12/12/2003 at 11:28 PM.
    Every GSM network recognizes "+" just the american one recognize "011" some european recgnize "00"
    Ciao

Ettore
    Originally posted by Ettore
    Every GSM network recognizes "+" just the american one recognize "011" some european recgnize "00"
    Can someone please direct me to where in any Treo documentation they talk about the "+" before a phone number.

I can't find anyplace on these boards or in the Treo 600 documentation that discusses it. I live in a city with several area codes, and I would like to be able to program the Treo to NOT dial "1" before other LOCAL area codes, and to ALWAYS dial the "1" before any other area code.

I see there is something called "North American Dialing" but I am confused about what this is/does.

Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by tDot

Can someone please direct me to where in any Treo documentation they talk about the "+" before a phone number.

I can't find anyplace on these boards or in the Treo 600 documentation that discusses it. I live in a city with several area codes, and I would like to be able to program the Treo to NOT dial "1" before other LOCAL area codes, and to ALWAYS dial the "1" before any other area code.

I see there is something called "North American Dialing" but I am confused about what this is/does.

Thanks.
    It is probably better to let your phone dial the full area code and number even if you're making a local call. That way your call would still go through even if you're in another city with a different area code. Besides, if you're dialing 1-858-xxx-yyyy while in the 858 area code, it wouldn't result in a more expensive phone call. The network will know it is a local call. And I guess most wireless plans nowadays don't distinguish between local and domestic long distance calls anyway.

I go a step further and instead of entering my numbers as (858)xxx-yyy I use +1 (858)xxx-yyyy (or +49 ..... for Germany) and let the GSM network decide how to place the call. That way I could call whether I'm in the US or overseas.