Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Is it just me or has other peoples battery life shortened as well after the update? Before I usually had to charge it after about 3 days, but it seems like if it went down to 2 days now.
    Hi MOL
    I've also the same impression. Battery life seems shorter after I upgraded the T600.
    But I've also a personal answer:
    Before the upgrade I wans't able to use the phone, while now I'm using it continuosly.....

PS: to all the person that wrote that they will wait to the official release. It's a good idea, but pls consider that I received the upgrade directly from HS Italy. it's for sure an "official update"
    I've read in some Italian newsgroups that in these days several user has been contacted from HS IT and they ship back the unit to the service center to make the upgrade. After the upgrade, the Firmware and SW version is the same that I have and that can be dowloaded here in this post.
    Did anyone who got a code from unlockyourgsm.com that didnt work try the code again after the upgrade. I am thinking that the lock may have to do not only with the firmware but also the software.
    Question - will using this firmware update invalidate the warranty on my Orange UK Treo?
    PhiL
    ----
    Mulled over Smartphone but now a Treo 600 owner
    zlib error:
    Orange Swis
    Orange France

no problem:
    Orange UK

I check after upgate, no zlib in 208 when you got error
    can somebody check rom, who has no zlib problem?
    Zlib cant be erased and it is in rom, I think thet it need to be copy afrer hard reset to ram and soft reset after thet, because treo will use it from ram....
    Originally posted by atari
    zlib error:
    Orange Swis
    Orange France

no problem:
    Orange UK
    Does the Orange Swiss and/or Orange Uk models feature the over-the-air backup program? I'm thinking that maybe this might be the reason why Orange had the Zlib file included in ROM...

Zlib cant be erased and it is in rom, I think thet it need to be copy afrer hard reset to ram and soft reset after thet, because treo will use it from ram....
    Yes, I think that this may indeed work. Eventually, one could alter (i.e. increase slightly) the version number in the Zlib copy in RAM to make sure that the PalmOS will point to this file instead of the ROM file... I don't know exactly how the system handles the case where two copies with the same version number are present in both RAM and ROM. OTOH, maybe increasing the version number might prevent the other programs to use the library...

Can someone who is ready to perform the upgrade please describe as precisely as possible the process, i.e. what message is displayed, what user action (button tap for confirmation / cancel possibilities, etc.) is required, etc...?

I'd like to understand at what point in the process the Zlib problem arises (obviously it's before the reflash actually takes place...)
    Whan thing more, if "bed" upgrate is happend and zlib in not anymore in rom it can be flash again whit no zlib error........I think...and I will check today.....
    Originally posted by PhiL P
    Question - will using this firmware update invalidate the warranty on my Orange UK Treo?
    I'd say yes.
    Originally posted by mrfred8
    Did anyone who got a code from unlockyourgsm.com that didnt work try the code again after the upgrade. I am thinking that the lock may have to do not only with the firmware but also the software.
    Interesting. I've been playing with free unlock calculators for other phones and here's what I found:

To unlock the GSM Treo you need the 8 digits to put in the dial pattern *#*#<8 digits>#

I downloaded a free calculator. Then I retrieved the required operator code here. I launched the app, entered my IMEI, the MCC-MNC code, set the operator to Orange France, and pressed Calculate Unlocked Codes. Those didn't look at all like 8 digit codes. Then I clicked Unlock Other Mobiles Addon Tools and tried a few of those. The LGB1200 tool returned something with the last part as an 8 digit code.

I entered this code with the pattern above using the dial pad, the phone said "Please wait" for a few seconds and then it said "The SIM Lock has been removed from the phone". Couldn't believe it, so I inserted my SFR SIM and too bad, it's still saying this SIM is not accepted.

Since I still couldn't believe I had found the correct code, I tried with other sets of random 8 digits. Most of the times it returned the same message, only for very few of them it said something like incorrect code. Accidentally I even entered 7 and 9 digit codes that were accepted.

I'm going to try with some other SIM cards to see if they work.
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by PhiL P
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think not, phone is still locked
    @Mol

Treo cant be unlocked so easy or whit any calc. for other phones, unfortunately.If you put card on network thet is locked to and enter *#*#ANY NUMBER# it will say it is unlocked but it is not....
    Originally posted by atari
    Whan thing more, if "bed" upgrate is happend and zlib in not anymore in rom it can be flash again whit no zlib error........I think...and I will check today.....
    I too think that performing again the upgrade on an already upgraded device (which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't have the Zlib in ROM) would probably result in a "normal" upgrade (i.e. without error message about Zlib). Now, I don't know if the updater will accept to reflash the ROM and firmware if this is already the same version...
    >>upgrade (i.e. without error message about Zlib). Now, I don't >>know if the updater will accept to reflash the ROM and ??>>firmware if this is already the same version...

I think thet it dosnt check fw..
    I ran the flash update twice on my phone. I wanted to make sure all of the bits stuck

It will take it twice.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    Originally posted by Mol

I'd say yes.
    I would have to agree as well. At least from Orange's perpective you have invalidated the phone as supplied. You have loaded a non "officially supported" - (and I mean check Orange/Handspring website - no mention of that firmare anywhere) firmware on the phone.

Handspring would still probably take the phone back for a hardware failure though - just don't expect Orange to support you if you have technical or network issues. The phone is no longer set up to work with their network the way that they customised it.

On the issue of battery life - I would expect that one of the "patches" in the 2.08 firmware probably tweaks up a couple of settings in the RF (radio) section of the phone. Who knows what else they had to do to correct the problem. The net effect is that by sacrificing some of your standby and talk time you get a better sound quality. I'm sure that it's a fine balance between quality and battery life that Handspring (and all cellphone makers) have to go through.

I updated my phone (Cinglar 1.06-CNG - Rev B.) last night and almost had a heart attack afterwards - I didn't get any errors updating (no zlib error) and the phone came back ok. About 1/2 hour later I lost signal and couldn't find a network. Just before that I had been playing around with the phone_LOGO.prc file to customise the splash screen when the phone reset on me - then it couldn't find the network. I thought that maybe there was a tamper lock on something in the phone which I had triggered. Fortunately the GSM network had gone down and it was only coincidental on my timing. All was ok 2 hours later (after I checked with my v66 and got the same result).

Here in Bermuda I do notice a slight improvement on sound quality (reduced hiss) and slight GPRS speed improvement.

Anyway - my $.02 worth.

DemonJ
    Originally posted by JakePratt
    I ran the flash update twice on my phone. I wanted to make sure all of the bits stuck

It will take it twice.
    Good news! So regardless of the presence or not of the Zlib file in ROM on certain devices (French Orange, for instance), if someone was to apply the upgrade (succesfully) one time with the Zlib error messages, then applying it a second time would certainly run without error message (as I gather that there's no Zlib in the updated ROM, right?)
    Originally posted by JakePratt

It will take it twice.
    Same here - after my panic episode with our network going down I flashed the unit a second time to reset everything back to stock without any problem.

The method I used to flash was using the .prc file in the Launcher directory on a SD card. I did a hard reset on the Treo, did not hotsync the unit and ran the .prc immediately after settting time/date/digitizer etc. The upgrade continued normally from that point on.

You know - I kinda miss the "X" cingular guy/thingie - I'll have to put him back on the splash screen ;-)

DemonJ
    Originally posted by euroclie

Good news! So regardless of the presence or not of the Zlib file in ROM on certain devices (French Orange, for instance), if someone was to apply the upgrade (succesfully) one time with the Zlib error messages, then applying it a second time would certainly run without error message (as I gather that there's no Zlib in the updated ROM, right?)
    Correct. I have no Zlib in my ROM anymore.
    Hi all,

After further investigation, I think I now have a clearer picture of the Zlib issue: There's been some mention, on Orange websites, of some "Action Engine" stuff incorporated into the Treo 600.

It appears that there are some additional applications bundled in the ROM of the Orange Treo 600, like the Backup or Update programs. Those programs are actually very small files, 2 to 3 Kb, with some additional localisation resources in various languages (French, German, English, Italian), but there's a big file called AEUtilities.prc in ROM (340Kb). The additional applications actual name, by the way, is AEBackup.prc and AEUpdate.prc, even if they appear in your launcher as "Backup" and "Update", so they are related to the AEUtilities.prc file, and they contain explicit mention of "Action Engine" in various forms.

Where it gets interesting is that the AEUtilities.prc file explicitely includes references to the Zlib library!

So from there it's not hard to guess that Orange ROMs will include this Zlib file in ROM, and non-Orange ROM, which do not feature those Action-Engine stuff, do not have the Zlib file included in ROM.

In Italy, for instance, the Treo 600 are not sold by Orange, so the update (which is targetting Italian devices in the first place, even if they are simply generic, unbranded GSM versions)obviously doesn't expect to find the Zlib file in ROM.

Now what exactly happens during the update is another problem, which I'll try to investigate using the Treo 600 simulator, but I'd be surprised if it works, given that the simulator is just, well, a simulator, so it's generally useless when it comes to ROM reflashing stuff!
    I try 115 whit hard&soft reset trick but it give zlib error again
    After i try 208 to 208 and it flash whit any error