Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    I applied the patch to my Cingular one also. I had some similar problems today, but I think it was the T-Mobile network. It happened at certain times of the day but seems to have gone away. I've seen this before so I'm not too worried that it was due to the patch.

Originally posted by JakePratt
    So I applied the firmware to my cingular phone. I have started haveing problems with my GPRS connection dropping but still showing connected. I can disconnect and reconnect and everything goes back to normal.

Anyone else haveing problems after the upgrade. BTW - I am on t-mobile.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Originally posted by JakePratt
    So I applied the firmware to my cingular phone. I have started haveing problems with my GPRS connection dropping but still showing connected. I can disconnect and reconnect and everything goes back to normal.

Anyone else haveing problems after the upgrade. BTW - I am on t-mobile.

T-Mo GPRS was screwed up in several markets today. Some places it wasn't working at all. If I had updated my device today I would have though it was the update too.
    Originally posted by grenness
    According to my Laptop, when pointed towards the Treo 600 the Treo is no longer identified via Ir as "Treo 600" but "Palm III".
    Can that be good?
    After the first Hotsync with my PC, where my hotsync ID is "Treo600", the Treo is once again identified as "Treo600" via Ir.

So, to sum it up: !!! The distortion problems seems to be gone (I'll know for sure this afternoon after using the phone the entire day), otherwise no negative surprises.

Highly recommended!

Christopher

PS. I had no error messages whatsoever during upgrade process. Before the upgrade I hard reset the Treo, and I used a freshly formatted SD card with the upgrade prc on.

PS. I had no error messages whatsoever during upgrade process. Before the upgrade I hard reset the Treo, and I used a freshly formatted SD card with the upgrade prc on.
    I think that's the trick to ensure you're not getting the Zlib error. Just use a freshly formatted SD card.
    Originally posted by Mol

I think that's the trick to ensure you're not getting the Zlib error. Just use a freshly formatted SD card.
    Yes, and for those of you who have been through the firmware upgrade of the Tungsten W, the Treo600 upgrade was truly a walk in the park in comparison.

Thanks for all info!

Christopher

Yes, and for those of you who have been through the firmware upgrade of the Tungsten W, the Treo600 upgrade was truly a walk in the park in comparison.

Thanks for all info!

Christopher
    And all of this without official support from HS! Now of course we're going to have lots of fun when we discover that HS releases an official fw update that turns out to be slightly different from this one, but it has the same version number.
    Originally posted by acs14
    Firmware: 01.15
    Software: Treo600-1.0-OUK
    Harware: A
    Hi,

I'm in France but got the same stuff:

FW 01.15
    SW Treo600-1.0-OFR
    Hardware A

But I don't have the troubles you're having. I have no complains on my side and the "other side" is OK also.

Can't remember ever having lost the network.

No it's working quite good!

Bye,

Ton
    Hi,

Felt strong today so gave it another try!

This time I formatted my SD card, re-synced the update on it, did a hard reset and... I got further but not to the end.

T6 informed me about the Zlib that I accepted and he managed to deflate the files.

After the deflating, I got in to a loop: "Make sure your connected to the charger, do You want to run the update script?" when I answered Yes, got the same box again and again.

There's one advantage, I'm the king of restore , back in business in 5 minutes.

I guess I'll wait untill HS releases the official thing!

Bye,

Ton
    Originally posted by Tonio78370
    Hi,

Felt strong today so gave it another try!

This time I formatted my SD card, re-synced the update on it, did a hard reset and... I got further but not to the end.

T6 informed me about the Zlib that I accepted and he managed to deflate the files.

After the deflating, I got in to a loop: "Make sure your connected to the charger, do You want to run the update script?" when I answered Yes, got the same box again and again.

There's one advantage, I'm the king of restore , back in business in 5 minutes.

I guess I'll wait untill HS releases the official thing!

Bye,

Ton

Did you first delete your zlib using fileZ?
    Ah... in fact I didn't. I use McFile and cannot access ROM file. Filez allows this?

Bye
    Originally posted by Tonio78370
    Ah... in fact I didn't. I use McFile and cannot access ROM file. Filez allows this?

Bye
    This is most likely your problem. Download FileZ from palmgear (it's free), and you'll have a checkbox option for viewing ROM files, most of which are locked, but ZLib is not locked (on mine) and deleted without any problem.
    I've taken the liberty of merging Foxtrots instructions with the process I used and I added the Zlib instructions to it.

Instruction
    Attention: this upgrade will cancel all the data on TREO600.
    Before lunch the upgrade, you can make a synchronisation to back up all the data.

1) Important: TREO 600 MUST be connected to the Power supply till the end of the upgrade (or make at least sure your battery is fully charged)

2) Make an Hard reset pushing the "reset" button on the back of TRE600 with a clips while holding at the same time the "Power on" button for about two seconds.
    while still holding the poweron button, release the reset button, and the screen "Palm powered" will appear. Therefore release the power on button, and answer yes to the question " delete all data?"

3)
    Option 1. At this time, through the synchronisation process, install the file "Siam INT Updater.prc" to the TREO 600.
    I suggest you to create a new user for the synchronisation (for example use the name "install") so that you copy to the TREO only the upgrade file

Option 2. Take a cleanly formatted SD Card and put the siamINTUpdater.prc in the PALM/Launcher folder using a card reader.

4)
    Option 1. At the end of the synchronisation process, run the Siam program just installed

Option 2.Insert the SD Card, navigate to it using the default application launcher, and run it.

You may get an error at this stage about an already existing file called ZLib. Most people who have had this message have reported that the update still went through fine.

5) Select Accept on the first screen.
    6) Select "OK" on the next screen "Device Customizer"
    7) wait that the process will end (about 10 min.)
    8) Your TREO 600 at this point will be completly resetted and will propose the choice of the language and the normal steps of initial installation (Pointer, date, time etc.)
    9) make again a synchronisation (with your original user) in order to reload all the original data
    Last edited by Mol; 12/18/2003 at 05:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    Did the test at www.2wire.com - I was getting 30 Kbps before - got 39 Kbps today - in the snow storm we're having here in Denver, Colorado.

Danita
    I went from 30-32Kbps to 42-46Kbps. Tested before and after new firmware. Same location. Thats close to a 40% improvment.

Checking email is much faster. And Shoutcast is actually usable now! Before I could only get a couple of very low bandwidth sites to work and then not reliably. Now everything I have tried so far is working!

Thanks!
    I have done the update and now i cannot use the gsm function !
    It's a unlock French Orange Treo and now it seems to be lock.
    I'm not sure it's a good deal for me. I may stay in bed today...

The phone refuse my sim card (Bouygues).

If someone has a idea or i have to phone HS to make a repair.

Thanks

Originally posted by elysian9

This is most likely your problem. Download FileZ from palmgear (it's free), and you'll have a checkbox option for viewing ROM files, most of which are locked, but ZLib is not locked (on mine) and deleted without any problem.
    Hmm... Let me get something strait here: if a file is in ROM, then there's no chance you can delete it using FileZ or any other file manager (except JackSprat, of course, but that's another story, and anyway it doesn't support the Treo 600 yet).

What probably happens is that in some ROM versions (cingular ROM? Generic unbranded GSM ROM?) the Zlib file is NOT in ROM, but the Read Only attribute is set nonetheless. This is very easy to do, any program can be protected against deletion that way. So with those ROM, if you perform a hard reset or if you use FileZ to unset the Read Only attribute to Zlib (if installed), you can get rid of Zlib.

On other ROM versions (like the French Orange ROM, which is the one I have on my Treo), the Zlib file is really in ROM, not just in RAM with the Read Only attribute set. This means that except by reflashing part of the ROM or the whole ROM, there's no way you can get rid of the Zlib file...

I'd be really curious, if anyone with a non-Orange French Treo could get in touch with me, to further investigate the issue...

Also, it would be nice to track the initial versions of the upgraded Treo to try to find out which versions are prone to show the Zlib error message, because it may not happen on every version of the ROM.

Or the wise solution: wait for Handspring to actually release an official fix!
    mine is a resource database that is in RAM. FileZ says that it is NOT a ROM file
    I followed these instructions and everything worked fine, thanks for all the help I've received on this board. (I'm on Orange UK BTW)

A few words regarding ZLib and problems peopl ehave had: You can only delete this library from the Treo (or PalmCard as FileZ lists it as) or on the extra card. Rom cannot be deleted. It's the ROM file which gives the error, I had done a hard reset AND fortmatted my MMC card, and I still got the error. But the upgrade worked fine. So for those of you who have a problem after trying this upgrae, it's not to do with this library.

Could perhaps be hardware revision... I'm on B?

On another note, I read about the echo problem, and I did a simple test: Lean the phone against a pile of CDs, make a call from my house phone, answer it and leave the room. I get a terrible echo when talking (I would expect some as it was leaning against a hard surface) . After the upgrade, 10 minutes later it's 100% gone!

It does seem to connect to GPRS faster, bt that's very subjective...

Originally posted by Mol
    I've taken the liberty of merging Foxtrots instructions with the process I used and I added the Zlib instructions to it.
    Originally posted by willreg
    I have done the update and now i cannot use the gsm function !.....

The phone refuse my sim card (Bouygues).
    Originally posted by euroclie
    Or the wise solution: wait for Handspring to actually release an official fix!
    Maybe I'm a french coward (I heard this before somewhere ) but seen the experience of Willreg and the fact that I've been lucky 3 times now, I guess I'll follow up Euroclie's suggestion and wait for the official HS thing!

I'm a bit surprised that you guys just delete things out of ROM! I'm in industrie and when we put something in a product, we don't do it for fun, we do it because we need it so this Zlib thing is sitting there for some reason

I'm very happy for all of you that managed the jump. I will wait... anyway I don't have particular problems with my T6: It Palms and Phones as it should
    A successful update here for an Orange UK Treo.

I'm on hardware revision A, did get the Zlib error message but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

One note for people: if you use the Security app your password is NOT restored after you reload everything. This is by design as it provides you a means to reaccess your device and restore all your data if you ever forget your password. However it does mean that you have to remember to reset your password after doing stuff like this...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    I've updated the instructions above and removed the part about deleting Zlib. Apparently there's no easy way to get around the error message and you just need to say a prayer that the upgrade will go through fine (which seems to be the case for all of us except two Orange France users)
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast