Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Hi there,

Can any of the brave users who already made the ROM reflash answer that (simple) question:

After the initial hard reset, did you activate the wireless mode or just leave it off? Also, did you leave your SIM card in the Treo 600 during the reflash?

I guess that the answer are probably no and yes respectively, and it would of course make sense, but I thought I'd ask just the same, one's never too cautious when it comes to reflashing a ROM!

Also, if anyone had an unlocked GSM Treo 600 before the upgrade, could you please check and report if the phone is still unlocked? I'd hate to discover that it's not the case and that my Treo 600 is now locked to some italian carrier! ;-) (although from what I've read now it doesn't seem to be the case: the firmware is obviously a generic unbranded one, not a carrier specific one like on Orange or Cingular devices, for instance).

Thanks in advance!
    Let me try to answer the various questions:

* You don't have to have the power adapter plugged in during the install process. The only reason the instructions are saying this is because if your phone runs out of battery during the process it will be fried. Just make sure that you've charged the battery before starting and you should be fine. FYI, I used a charging USB cable.

* The process I followed:
    1. HotSynch
    2. Using a card reader, put the prc on the SD card in the folder /PALM/Launcher/ This folder should already exist on your card. The Italian instructions mention that you should NOT attempt to create this folder yourself.
    3. Hard reset (keep the wireless mode button pressed, pin in the reset hole, wait a few seconds, release the wireless mode button, select Yes to erase all data)
    4. Leave the wireless mode off (wouldn't even know why you would want to turn it on) and leave your SIM card in the phone
    5. Using the default application launcher, navigate to the prc on the card and launch it by tapping on it.
    6. Can't remember the exact dialogs but it's basically saying "Yes" and "Accept" a few times.
    7. Phone resets at the end of the process.
    8. Optional: delete the prc from the SD card (it's over 5Mb after all)

* For those who aren't aware of this: you can't reverse the process, i.e. if you're not happy with the new firmware, you can't go back to your old one. Just a warning.

* For the Italians with additional questions: I found the link to the firmware in the newsgroup it.comp.hardware.palmari . I simply googled on "Treo 600 problema" and there are a number of useful links in the results, in particular in the Groups results.

* I think it's bare nonsense to request people to send in their phones for this update. Sure, I understand plenty of people prefer to have it done by HS, but there are lots of people who can do this themselves. Give us the choice, I'd say.

* I don't know the exact differences between the CDMA and GSM firmware, but at this stage I wouldn't try it on a Sprint phone. Unless you're confident you can get it easily replaced if you fry it.

*Apart from the debranding I have already mentioned, I noticed this morning that the upgrade also got rid of the (Action Engine driven) Update, which is great because I can do updates much quicker myself so I'm saving a little ROM space. As well as the Orange Backup application, which is also great because who on earth would want to do a backup over-the-air with an Orange data plan? Especially when there are plenty of apps that can put a backup on the SD card.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    I flash my treo and all ok, but during flash install it give me error mesage like zlib cont be replece?!?
    Did anybody had this mesage?
    before:
    firmware 01.15
    software 1.0-och
    After:
    firmware 02.08
    software 1.09-int
    Originally posted by atari
    I flash my treo and all ok, but during flash install it give me error mesage like zlib cont be replece?!?
    Did anybody had this mesage?
    before:
    firmware 01.15
    software 1.0-och
    After:
    firmware 02.08
    software 1.09-int
    Yes, I got that one as well. Don't know why I didn't mention it any earlier, sounds like it is important enough.

I think ZLib is a ZLauncher file that the fw updater tried to copy because it's also sitting in the PALM/Launcher. But of course I may be entirely wrong
    Thanks for all... but i have no card reader, only HotSync software at this moment, so how can i transfer firmware in correct folder on MMC card?
    Please have some instruction?
    Thanks again
    ZLib is a data-compression library. I did a couple of checks and it's either on my Treo because of Plucker or HandZip. My guess is that the fw installer needs this library itself so it's trying to put it on the Treo without testing if it already exists.

Doesn't seem anything to worry about.
    Originally posted by dscomazzon
    Thanks for all... but i have no card reader, only HotSync software at this moment, so how can i transfer firmware in correct folder on MMC card?
    Please have some instruction?
    Thanks again
    HotSynch the file, then copy it to the MMC card using a program called Filez that you can download from www.freewarepalm.com.

Then proceed with step 3 of my instructions.
    You are GREATE!!!
    I proced with downloading the application you suggested and then with firmware.

T H A N K S.
    I updated firmware and all sims go well, ...except Pdanet!
    The same error is displayed on treo screen 775 unable open modem port.

To connect treo with pc troughout Pdanet what connection you use?
    The same to connect to GPRS?, or one that connect treo trought pc via cable(the same used for Hotsync connection, like custom for example)?
    Its works great. I'm on Orange UK . Software went from Treo600-1.0.OUK to Treo600-1.09-INT.

Just tried it with dreaded handsfree echo and it defintely seems a bit better.

It doesnt seem to unlock phone (I tried with an O2 card) although maybe I should have tried before hot syncing.

Main benefit is the splash screen whicj is now Handsprings. The GPRS worked fine straight away - but it has been behaving better last few days so will report back.

No ill effects so far
    Geoff
    By the way to get the Siam file into the phone . I hotsynced it normally. Then copied file to Card. Deleted file from phone and then did hard reset and then clicked on SIAM application on Qcard no problems apart from the ZLIB message which I ignored. Also delete file from Palm applications on main computer so it doesnt hotsync again.
    Originally posted by Mol
    I think ZLib is a ZLauncher file that the fw updater tried to copy because it's also sitting in the PALM/Launcher. But of course I may be entirely wrong
    As far as I know, Zlib is a library with some data compression / decompression functions, like Mathlib with the mathematical functions.

I don't have Zlauncher on my Treo 600 (and never installed it in the past), but there's still a Zlib file in ROM.
    My wife said the call quality is much better now. She said that previously she often heard some of sort of buzz that was now gone. Note that she didn't know I had applied the update.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Did the test at www.2wire.com - I was getting 30 Kbps before - got 39 Kbps today - in the snow storm we're having here in Denver, Colorado.

Danita
    Originally posted by Mol
    Note that she didn't know I had applied the update.
    this is the right prove for the update. :-)
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    Did the test at www.2wire.com - I was getting 30 Kbps before - got 39 Kbps today - in the snow storm we're having here in Denver, Colorado.

Danita
    Another test site, specifically for wireless networks.

www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/index.php.

From your Treo:

Scroll down to "Try a Free Test."
    Use 5-Way to select "other." (touch screen is not "hot" here)
    In Drop-Down list select "Wireless: GPRS."
    Select "Start."
    Select Country/State.

[CDMA users can test here as well]
    Ah I was too late.

Saw the update this morning but had no opportunity to download. In the meantime HS 'kindly' asked our italian friend to take the file off his site.

Someone knows another place to get it??

Thanks in advance

Ton
    PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Actually if you go to MOL's post on page 2 of this thread, is download link still works.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Thank you!!!!!

It's downloading!!

Bye,

Ton
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast