Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Originally posted by tvBilly
    No file. I didn't disassemble the updater. But I did take a very quick look at it before I used it to update my phone a few weeks ago, and with all the hacking talk going on, I was just suggesting that the installer was a good place to look around for the real story...
    A very good place to start, indeed, in addition to the built-in programs in the ROM. Just browsing the ROM using an hex editor will also give interesting things, also not necessarily much useful stuff...

ps Much earlier in this thread, or one of the other two about updating firmware, someone mentioned that the update apparently didn't erase all the temporary files (i.e. didn't perform a hard reset), and that the user had to manually perform the hard reset to "complete" the update. Said message contained a list of all the files the updater uncompressed and used during the update. You might hunt that down to add to the info you are gathering.
    Yes, but a much simpler way to get those files (except by manually extracting them from the updater file using something like PRCEdit or PRCExplorer) is to run the updater on the Treo 600 simulator. Of course the upgrade process will not complete, but it will also leave you with the unpacked files. Getting them out of the simulator is just a matter of using DBExport or other tricks.

pps You DO understand that modifying the updater to either not install the old lock settings, or to install settings you choose, or to install the "default" settings in the updater images, is really, really dangerous. Unless you completely understand what is being done, you can render your phone useless in a few minutes.
    Unlocking the phone is definitely not what I have in mind at the moment. I purchased a second hand Orange Treo 600 and the previous owner was kind enough to have it unlocked before selling it to me!

No, I was thinking about resurecting my old ROM Editor project (Chromed), which is in the process of being updated for OS5 ROM support (currently it's OS4 at most). I was lacking a way to reflash a modified ROM but I'm thinking about using the reflasher from the upgrade to do the job. At least I could probably provide a way to undo the upgrade and restore the original ROM for those who have troubles with their (upgraded) Treo 600 and need to send their unit to their carrier tech support...

But you're right, messing with the ROM will often leave you with an unusable device, and I'd be more than warry to deal with the phone part, which I'm not familiar with!

Otherwise, for those who have looked into the updater using PRCExplorer or other programs, there are some LZ77 files labelled Firmware0.prc to Firmware8.prc, and ROM0.prc to ROM5.prc, and those files contain stuff like "FirmwareUpdater-Build255-App.prc" and its various locales (frFR, enUS, deDE, itIT, esSP), along with a "FirmwareFlasher.pdb", "FirmwarePatch.pdb", "FirmwareStackRel.pdb", for the firmware part, and "RomUpdater-CrowGsmRelIMIMLBuild_920-App.prc" with its locales...

I'll get back to this thread as soon as I have uncompressed those files!
    I purchased a second hand Orange Treo 600 and the previous owner was kind enough to have it unlocked before selling it to me!
    I have a French Orange Treo 600 and it was unlocked before getting to me....

I say it was unlocked because after applying the patch is now lock again!!!!

Not having the unlock code now I'm not able to use the phone and test the unit to check if there are improvements...
    Someone just posted that there is a new firmware v2.09 that has just been released by Handspring. You might like to update to this and see if that resolves your problem when this file is made availablity.
    I have firmware 2.08, is there any way someone could email me the 2.09 version? Thank you.

jeg815@aol.com
    SOS!!!
    after i upgraded the FW, everything seems working fine except the picture massage, i can't sent MMS after upgrade , but txt message and internet working fine.

when i tried to sent a picture message a notice comes out:

"we have no MMS setting for your current mobile operator.

use the network settings form to enter manually."

I am with orange UK, what shall i do? where is the network setting form? anyone with orange UK tried pic message ? does it happen to u as well?

many thanks and happy new year to everyone!!
    Originally posted by hking I am with orange UK, what shall i do? where is the network setting form?
    This is the network preference panel. There should be a MMS-specific connection entry, but you'll have to find someone using Orange UK to give you the exact parameters.

Just so that you know what you're looking for, it's called "MMS GPRS" on my (French SFR) Treo 600, and it probably have a similar name onORange UK. You'll need to setup the APN in accordance to your carrier (the rest is basically blank on my Treo).

And in the MMS application preferences (Option->Preferences), you have some additional parameters you can play with by selecting "custom" for the connection setting...

I hope this helps (a bit), and that you'll get your MMS working again...

And Happy New Year to you all!
    Orange UK GPRS Settings
    --------------------------------

Select Preferences -> Network

1) Orange Internet APN: orangeinternet
    2) Orange MMS APN: orangemms

Cheers,
    Eric
    thanks 4 all your replies, but seems i have no luck even i have tried them all, now i come up with the following connetion customer settings:

MMS gateway address:

MMSC URL:
    http://mms.orange.co.uk

MMSC port Number: 9201

are they correct? if so maybe i will have to contact ornage but i am afraid they will be not so happy as i upgraded the FW :P
    Last edited by hking; 01/01/2004 at 06:53 PM.
    HI,
    This is my first post. I wanted to thank so many of you guys for all the great info on the board. Some of you really seem to take the extra effort to help out the others, and it is appreciated.

Just my two bits of info:

1. I didnt see anybody in this thread try this on an AT&T GSM Treo. I have a AT&T Treo, and it worked perfectly.

2. Main reason i was hoping out of this update was possibly better voice quality, since i use the headset all the time and kinda felt like the voice was i guess best described as 'slightly muffled'. Well I feel i can tell a distict clarity or difference in the voice quality, and it was further confirmed by my wife who i called and she noticed the difference without me pointing it out.

I was kinda hoping it will not zap more battery power, becuase i am on the phone alot, but i have not used it enough to notice a differnce. I am usually finished with my battery by the end of the day. Anybody have any input on this?

TIA

fas

ps: THIS PHONE ROCKS
    Hi folks,

I made the update about 10 days ago on TREO600. It first seems to work fine. But now several friends call me on all the other phones I have and said that they cannot reach me on my Swiss Orange number.

So I checked that out myself and was surprised that the homephone rings and rings but no answer on my treo.

What I recognized is, that about every 1/2 hours a little ton appears like you are out of service range. And no SMS came in while the Treo was not illuminated.

Right now I did a hot sync and made a soft reset but I don't know yet if that will solve the problem. I also called Orange Support to make sure that they didn't change anything with their antennas.

I will post you if I got news about that. Does someone else had these greet experience too?

I have an Orange France Treo and have been suffering the same thing (the tone and the missed phone calls). Some of the missed phone calls are certainly due to the GPRS download issue discussed elsewhere on this board, but some are definitely because the phone seems to disconnect from the network on a regular basis.

I'm not making too much noise about it with Orange France so far since I'm waiting to see if the new firmware update (allegedly) available soon will fix it. (I'm waiting for the official upgrade since I hate to imagine the hassle Orange will give me if this isn't fixed and they see I have an unauthorised firmware update installed).

Fingers crossed!

DS
    Hi again,

after I did a hot sync and a soft reset, it seems to work fine again.

I also don't have this special peep anymore which says 'out of service'.

Probably that happend over new year with all these sms I sent out (47 at one time - that was the most which worked without an automatical softreset).

Bad is only that I don't got all the answers from them... but maybe I'm lucky that I didn't receive them all

Keep you updated if somethings gonna change.
    Originally posted by dshirley
    I have an Orange France Treo and have been suffering the same thing (the tone and the missed phone calls). Some of the missed phone calls are certainly due to the GPRS download issue discussed elsewhere on this board, but some are definitely because the phone seems to disconnect from the network on a regular basis.

I'm not making too much noise about it with Orange France so far since I'm waiting to see if the new firmware update (allegedly) available soon will fix it. (I'm waiting for the official upgrade since I hate to imagine the hassle Orange will give me if this isn't fixed and they see I have an unauthorised firmware update installed).

Fingers crossed!

DS
    Haven't had those problems but I'm running TreoHelper which reconnects automatically. Actually, the combination of the more frequent disconnects of the new fw together with the automatic reconnects of TreoHelper has resolved all the connection problems I've had in the past (like dead GPRS connections in general, and dead network connections after using the metro).
    What's TREO Helper and where can I get this programm?
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by TELLefant
    What's TREO Helper and where can I get this programm?
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    What are the best settings for TREO 600 without running the battery down in a short time and still have a good connection to the net.

Is a translation for Treo Helper in german language available?

thanks.
    Originally posted by TELLefant
    What are the best settings for TREO 600 without running the battery down in a short time and still have a good connection to the net.

Is a translation for Treo Helper in german language available?

thanks.
    I'm using the following settings, but I can't guarantee these are optimal for your situation. For example, if you travel a lot in bad coverage areas you may need to lower the retry frequency or number of attempts.

Checked: Enable phone on reset
    Phone off if no coverage in 10 min
    Max tries: 1 every 10 min
    Checked: Auto OK
    Checked: Auto Login

There aren't any translated versions, as far as I know.
    Does anyone know a problem with applying this firmware update running the T600 on Orange UK?

thanks in advance

Rich
    On Orange UK, I updated to 2.08 before christmas. no problems so far apart from usual gprs stuff and echo's in hands free
  20. dhc
    I have an Orange UK phone, unlocked and the update went fine thank you all for the detailed instructions.

One problem I had was the phone locked itself after the update. However, I re-entered the unlock code and now I can use the phone on T-Mobile again.

The echo on the speakerphone has improved, but not so much that it's usable and this is the one issue I have with an otherwise excellent device.

I do have a question though - it's a repeat of an earlier one I haven't seen the answer to.:

Originally posted by duckznutz
    There is a number in the Favourites SpeedDial that wont let me delete!!! (I tried to edit it out of 'PhoneFavoritesDB.PDB' but it wouldnt let me do that either!)

Its calle Ans.Phone and is the number to my Orange Answerphone service . . . I cant rename or delete? Advice welcomed . . . .
    I want to change this so it will call my T-Mobile Ansaphone. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast