Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am attempting to get the Treo 600 working here in Montreal where there is no such device available.

And so begins my quest. Having learned quite a bit from this forum and a few others, I have figured out that you need to buy the GSM version, unlocked, and then insert a SIM card from any local provider's cell phone for it to work.

Found out Fido and Rogers AT&T are the GSM providers here in Quebec, with Roger being the better of the two as stated by various sources (service & price)

Had a look on EBAY for Treo 600s, but found them to be very expensive. Then I found out you could order Unlocked Cingular GSM 600s straight from Handspring(Palm), and on top of that, if you have a previous Treo's serial number, you get 200$ off!

And so I discovered on Ebay that you can buy an old treo serial # for 5 dollars US!. And so I decided to give it all a try.

Bought a serial # from ebay for 5$, tried it out on the Palm.com website, it worked! I didn't get scammed!

And then I learned that you can call Handspring's 1-800 number and order a Cingular GSM unlocked WITHOUT having to choose a plan!.

And so I called, gave them my serial #, shipping info (they do NOT ship to Canada, you have to give them a US address (I gave them a friend's)). No problem! $399 US + tax + $8.99 shipping

And so I have an order which should ship out in 2-3 weeks.

My next step is to successfully get everything working with Rogers AT&T which according to various people in different forums, should not be a problem.

It comes to around CDN $550 which is cheaper than any similar smartphone currently available in Canada, so it IS worth it to go through the trouble.

Cheers,

Alex
    I am in Montreal and have a Treo 600 which i got this morning. It is the Cingular unlocked. Put my rogers sim card in and it worked like a charm.

I bought mine from Handspring on the upgrade. you said you placed your order with handspring and gave them a canadian credit card and shipping address in the States. The CSR might have accepted this today, but you might have trouble when they process it. First it will show up as a Canadian card and the shipping address is not the same as the billing address. This could throw the order out. What you shoud have done is have your friend place the order with his card and billing address in the states. I know a few people that tried the canadian credit card for payment and it did not pass when processing took place.

If you could change it to ensure shipment I would recommend it.
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

Thanks for the heads up, I will contact customer support and check ahead make sure there will be no problems.

I don't see why a Canadian credit card will cause a problem, they still get their payment in US funds regardless.

I will post an update when I get one.

Alex
    Originally posted by AlexMagoo
    Hi,

Thanks for the heads up, I will contact customer support and check ahead make sure there will be no problems.

I don't see why a Canadian credit card will cause a problem, they still get their payment in US funds regardless.

I will post an update when I get one.

Alex
    Got to be honest, the CSR's at Handspring/PalmOne really do not know to much and say anything most of the time so you hear what you want to hear. On the web site when you order it, there is no access for Canadian credit cards and if they would except them on these products then you would be able to enter it on the web site. Check it out but I wold chane it to makesure you get the phone because if the order is rejected they send you back to the bottom of the list again, and I do not think you want that after waiting so long for this amazing phone.
    It looks like hockey Dad is right. My order using US shipping address & Canadian billing address has been sitting at "Credit Card Approved" now for several days. When I called HS to ask what was going on she first said something about "manual intervention" needed in my order, then put me on hold for a while, came back, and said everything was fine and in process. But I still don't have my 600 ordered 11/3.
  6.    #6  
    Just spoke with a rep at PalmOne who seemed very knowledgable, told me HandSpring had problems at first, but because of the increasing number of orders with canadian credit card #s, they are accepting them now, as long as the shipping address is to the US.

He seemed to have knowledge of the situation which leads me to believe he knows what he is talking about. Since I don't have a readily accessible US CC# nor do I really want to deal with that, I'll keep the order as is and hope for the best

Cheers,

Alex
  7.    #7  
    Hi HockeyDad,

Can you please explain to me a little how the SIM card works? I assume it's a little card you pop out of one cell phone and insert into the Treo?

This is my first cell phone so I don't currently have any SIM card. Can I just buy/get one from Rogers or would I have to buy a cheapy phone just for the SIM card that comes with it?

I assume it's the SIM that gets activated, regardless of the phone.

Thanks!

Alex
    Originally posted by AlexMagoo
    Hi HockeyDad,

Can you please explain to me a little how the SIM card works? I assume it's a little card you pop out of one cell phone and insert into the Treo?

This is my first cell phone so I don't currently have any SIM card. Can I just buy/get one from Rogers or would I have to buy a cheapy phone just for the SIM card that comes with it?

I assume it's the SIM that gets activated, regardless of the phone.

Thanks!

Alex
    Hey Alex,
    The sim card is a little card that you can transfer between any UNLOCKED GSM phone in the world. You can also put any GSM sim card from around the world. All the information is on the card. you do not have to buy a phone . You can go to any Rogers ATT authorized agent and buy a sim card for $25.00. That is what I did last year when I got my Treo 270. I now have the sim card on the Treo 600.
  9.    #9  
    Hi Hockey Dad,

Thanks for the information. Can Sim cards actually be switched back and forth between cell phones?

I am thinking of getting one of those freebie cheapy phones that come with a 2-year package, just for the sim card, and then using it as a "backup" or when lending my phone to someone or going somewhere dangerous where I want to keep the Treo nice and safe.

Does this sound like a realistic plan?

Cheers,

Alex
  10.    #10  
    Having just explored Roger's site, I answered my own question,

It is possible to swap the SIM card from phone to phone, which is very useful!

Alex
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Thanks for this post its really good news,to get one here in Sweden I would have to let Treostore rob me of $1050.

I just got one question, what happens when you not sign up with Cingular, won't they charge you money for that?

/Andreas
    AlexMagoo,

I would like to order the 600 and get the reduced price after I buy the rights to an older serial #. Which unit do you have to have a serial # from? I assume that it does not have to be active.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by cooper23c
    AlexMagoo,

I would like to order the 600 and get the reduced price after I buy the rights to an older serial #. Which unit do you have to have a serial # from? I assume that it does not have to be active.
    Cooper,

You might first check with Handspring if they still offer the rebate for the Cingular phone. I am not sure if the AT&T phone for the current promotion is unlocked. You can ask them that too.

The information for the promotion is here: http://www.handspring.com/promos/treo600_promo.jhtml

I personally bought one off the internet, but if you search the forum here, you might find freebies. It also has been known that you can randomly guess valid serial #s. In fact if you find any freebie serials, just slightly change the last 1 or 2 digits and try them out on the promotion page and see if it works..

I am still waiting for my Treo. The earphone accessory got delivered last week

T
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by Andreas
    Thanks for this post its really good news,to get one here in Sweden I would have to let Treostore rob me of $1050.

I just got one question, what happens when you not sign up with Cingular, won't they charge you money for that?

/Andreas
    Andreas,

I didn't need to sign up with Cingular to order the phone from Handspring. Check if that promotion is still valid though!

http://www.handspring.com/promos/treo600_promo.jhtml
  15.    #15  
    Woohoo, they have FINALLY shipped my Treo, it should arrive in Babylon, NY Friday morning, upon when my friend will fedex it up here to Montreal.

All going well, I should get it early next week.

I just hope it doesn't have any defects requiring me to send it back to Handspring... I don't think they will enjoy shipping an RMA to Canada.

Alex
    Hey Alex,

I've done the exact same thing as you...bought an upgrade serial number on Ebay, paid using CDN Visa (no problem) and ordered T600 using ship to address of a friend in Maryland. The phone arrived in Maryland earlier this week but my buddy didn't complete the FedEx paperwork correctly and so instead of getting the phone today, it was returned back to him in Maryland. <sigh>

My questions to you are:
    -How did you have your Treo FedEx'd from the US to Canada?
    -Did you need a commerical invoice? If so, what product classification did you reference?
    - Do you have to pay any duty or GST on it (if so, how much?).

I appreciate any light that your experience might shed on this murky business of transborder shipping.

Thanks very much!
    Marc
    ------------------------
    Can't sleep...must have Treo.
  17.    #17  
    Hi Marc,

My friend hasn't shipped it yet, but he is an experienced ebay seller, so he knows the tricks for shipping. He is supposed to mail it as a "gift", perhaps declaring it as electronics worth 49.99 .. I will let you know how it goes...

Cheers,

Alex
    Thanks Alex, and good luck!!!
    Originally posted by Datanut
    Hey Alex,

I've done the exact same thing as you...bought an upgrade serial number on Ebay, paid using CDN Visa (no problem) and ordered T600 using ship to address of a friend in Maryland. The phone arrived in Maryland earlier this week but my buddy didn't complete the FedEx paperwork correctly and so instead of getting the phone today, it was returned back to him in Maryland. <sigh>

My questions to you are:
    -Did you need a commerical invoice? If so, what product classification did you reference?

I appreciate any light that your experience might shed on this murky business of transborder shipping.

Thanks very much!
    Marc

I had a number of them shipped from the States. Some were shipped via UPS and some were shipped via FedEx. You need a commercial invoice with the description and cost. There is no duty on the phones. The only thing you would pay is the GST/PST. The shipments that were FedEx came in without any GST/PST charges. The shipements from UPS, there was a broker charge and GST/PST.

Hope that helps.
    ------------------------
    Originally posted by Datanut
    Hey Alex,

My questions to you are:

Thanks very much!
    Marc
    ------------------------

I had a number of them shipped from the States. Some were shipped via UPS and some were shipped via FedEx. You need a commercial invoice with the description and cost. There is no duty on the phones. The only thing you would pay is the GST/PST. The shipments that were FedEx came in without any GST/PST charges. The shipements from UPS, there was a broker charge and GST/PST.

Hope that helps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast