Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When it's working GPRS is fine, but I find that sometimes my Treo refuses to complete the initial connect. At first I just thought this was a problem with the Orange service but then I discovered that after a soft reset it would connect without difficulty.

At the moment I've yet to establish a pattern as to when the problem happens.

Anyone else had the same or similar?
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    After 4 days with my 600 I've just had my first problems with not being able to complete the GPRS connection. A soft reset hasn't sorted it, so if it doesn't start working tomorrow I'll phone Orange...
    You're more patient than me! Phoned Orange about an hour ago. Said GPRS is down across the network. Not Treo related. Try again tomorrow am. First problem (which couldn't be traced to third party software) that I've had too.
    Originally posted by JonStern
    After 4 days with my 600 I've just had my first problems with not being able to complete the GPRS connection. A soft reset hasn't sorted it, so if it doesn't start working tomorrow I'll phone Orange...
    Well what do you know. A few minutes after posting the above (and after a whole evening of the connection not working) its just suddenly started working again.

I used to get the same problem on my treo 270 sometimes. If it just happens occasionally I can live with it, but if its more frequent it becomes an issue.

Hope yours gets sorted OK.
    Back for me too now.
  6.    #6  
    Now I'm confused, maybe I've just been experiencing an Orange problem as well, and my soft reset has just coincided with the service coming back online...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    I've been having Orange GPRS problems all weekend and then again this morning.

Have phoned Orange twice and both times they said they were having network problems...

This morning after I asked how often they have GPRS problems she said 'we have them every once in a while..' and I replied 'seems like every day to me' she said 'well, I was just trying to be polite.'

So it looks like there may be constant problems with the network. If I keep trying to connect I usually eventually do. It's almost as if the network is too busy or something.

It's driving me crazy though...
    Originally posted by SarahG
    I've been having Orange GPRS problems all weekend and then again this morning.

Have phoned Orange twice and both times they said they were having network problems...

This morning after I asked how often they have GPRS problems she said 'we have them every once in a while..' and I replied 'seems like every day to me' she said 'well, I was just trying to be polite.'

So it looks like there may be constant problems with the network. If I keep trying to connect I usually eventually do. It's almost as if the network is too busy or something.

It's driving me crazy though...
    I was in the UK yesterday and indeed the Orange GPRS was spotty at best. Never had problems like that with the Orange France GPRS. At some point I even roamed to Vodafone because at least their network was available.
    Originally posted by Mol

I was in the UK yesterday and indeed the Orange GPRS was spotty at best. Never had problems like that with the Orange France GPRS. At some point I even roamed to Vodafone because at least their network was available.
    I guess it could be a matter of location and the signal strength and capacity (relative to demand) in that location. Apart from the one I mentioned above, I've had no problems at all. Mostly I'm in Norwich but I've travelled to Birmingham and other parts of the West Midlands (a couple of bits of Worcestershire) and signal and GPRS availability have been great. Perhaps I'm just lucky; perhaps it's mostly London that's the problem. Any Londoners care to comment?
    Originally posted by MarkC

I guess it could be a matter of location and the signal strength and capacity (relative to demand) in that location. Apart from the one I mentioned above, I've had no problems at all. Mostly I'm in Norwich but I've travelled to Birmingham and other parts of the West Midlands (a couple of bits of Worcestershire) and signal and GPRS availability have been great. Perhaps I'm just lucky; perhaps it's mostly London that's the problem. Any Londoners care to comment?
    Funny, I spent most of the day in London. I guess Orange considers London as a less interesting market for GPRS ;-)

Needless to say that the coverage in the Eurostar was non-existent. High speed connections don't go well with high speed trains.
    I have been having problems with GPRS for the last 10 days since I got the treo 600. An off/on cycle on the wirelsss switch sometimes works, but usually I have to stick a paperclip in the reset button on the back. It's happening 3/4 times per day !

I also cannot spot a pattern.

Incidentally, what are the 'rules' for how long the GPRS connection stays open -- it seems very variable !

Originally posted by tgabber
    When it's working GPRS is fine, but I find that sometimes my Treo refuses to complete the initial connect. At first I just thought this was a problem with the Orange service but then I discovered that after a soft reset it would connect without difficulty.

At the moment I've yet to establish a pattern as to when the problem happens.

Anyone else had the same or similar?
    Originally posted by Mol

Funny, I spent most of the day in London. I guess Orange considers London as a less interesting market for GPRS ;-)
    Perhaps you should try Norwich, city of clean air and clean airwaves
    I'm in Cambridge UK with a Treo600 and now have several friends with them as well.

My GPRS has been very unreliable I have had some success changing the prefs/network/username to get it to work (it loses the assigned name very quickly) or by switching phone off /on.

However to disprove some of earlier statements tonight my friend and I tried accessing network. Sitting next to each other , identical phones, identical settings (I live within site of the orange transmitter). My phone behaved itself grabbing sites instantly her phone kept coming up saying nothing found. Both phones at 4 bars with the green bi-directional arrows.

Even more confused now!
    Geoff
    Originally posted by geofones
    I'm in Cambridge UK with a Treo600 and now have several friends with them as well.

My GPRS has been very unreliable I have had some success changing the prefs/network/username to get it to work (it loses the assigned name very quickly) or by switching phone off /on.

However to disprove some of earlier statements tonight my friend and I tried accessing network. Sitting next to each other , identical phones, identical settings (I live within site of the orange transmitter). My phone behaved itself grabbing sites instantly her phone kept coming up saying nothing found. Both phones at 4 bars with the green bi-directional arrows.

Even more confused now!
    Geoff
    Hi Geoff,

This confuses me too. I guess the really fair test, and you and your friend really might not want to do this, would be to hard reset both phones and to repeat the side-by-side comparison, preferably doing the comparison several times. This might give you some idea as to whether the problems you are experiencing are really handset/user specific.

Incidently, what are you changing the username to? In have nothing entered (it says 'Tap to enter name', and I never have).

I hope you solve your problem soon!

Mark

Support the Worldwide GSM forum. It needs all the help it can get.
    OK, woke up this am to find 'not able to find webpage' screen, even though phone showing bidirectional arrows etc etc.
    Shut phone off and then on again - internet then worked fine!

So it looks like Orange is chucking my phone of network overnight but failing to let the poor Treo know whats happened.

The name I entered was my geofones whch I also used for my Orange name when I phoned them up to get GPRS activated. Interestingly they have 'lost' it so I cannot now use it for my orange email login name.
    Geoff
    Went to London today and noticed that when the GPRS problem occurred the IP address changed from 193.35.129.169 to 193.35.129.161. The IP address doesnt seem to be affected by location as I had same address in Cambridge as London.

So some of the problem of GPRS may be due to this. I used www.whatismyip.com to get the address.

http://www.whatismyip.com
    FYI, my IP address is 193.35.129.169 too
    I get the same IP address.

I suspect that our traffic goes through a NAT step before leaving Orange's network.
    Just cannot connect at all. anyone else have this problem? I installed kbtracker and after the soft reset it's not worked since. Uninstalled it and tried again but no success.
    Andy K
    Downloaded this software this morning http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html for the treo600 no problems so far , first time I've had GPRS all morning. This could be the solution!.

Thanks to
    --- In treo@yahoogroups.com, "feico_mol" <feico@w...> wrote:
    > Get TreoHelper from
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html
    >
    > It will automatically establish the GPRS connection when you switch
    > the phone on and though it's not an official feature, it will often
    > re-establish it as well if it's dropped.
    >
    > I've used it on my 270 and now on my GSM 600.

for this solution.
    Geoff
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast