Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by geofones
    Downloaded this software this morning http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html for the treo600 no problems so far , first time I've had GPRS all morning. This could be the solution!.

Thanks to
    --- In treo@yahoogroups.com, "feico_mol" <feico@w...> wrote:
    > Get TreoHelper from
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html
    >
    > It will automatically establish the GPRS connection when you switch
    > the phone on and though it's not an official feature, it will often
    > re-establish it as well if it's dropped.
    >
    > I've used it on my 270 and now on my GSM 600.

for this solution.
    Geoff
    Cool. That was me!
    Geoff,

I am still having hideous GPRS problems -- what settings in this program do you have ? I can't find any documentation !

Cheers

Pat

Downloaded this software this morning http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html for the treo600 no problems so far , first time I've had GPRS all morning. This could be the solution!.

Thanks to
    > Get TreoHelper from
    >
    >

for this solution.
    Geoff
    Sorry to hear that. My settings in Treohelper are:-
    Signal quality 20 (varying between 18 and 21)
    get phone status 000000008
    Enable phone on reset ticked
    Day week NA NA
    Stay on not checked
    Auto off 30secs
    Phone off if no coverage in don't
    max tries 1 every dont
    Auto-OK connection progress ticked
    Auto login when phone turned on ticked
    in preferences/network :
    service orangeinternet
    connection GPRS
    User name not set
    password unassigned
    APN orange internet

My GPRS has been working fine for quite a while now
    Geoff
    You need to do a soft reset as well.t
    Geoff,

Thanks. I have now set the same and will see how it goes.

my SQ is 14-15, sometimes down to 10.
    The status is 00000000 (yours is 00000008) - DK if this is significant !

Cheers

Pat
    Incidentally, presumably just having the GPRS connection
    established is not cranking up data charges, is it ? There is data transfer if the connection is just idle is there ?

Pat
    I'm sincerely hoping not :-)
    Geoff
    Have you turned images off? IWhen on internet screen, press menu, options, preferences, dont show images tick box.
    I rang orange. They said there is no charge associated with being connected to GPRS if there is no traffic and there is no charge associated with *connecting* to GPRS - the only charges are to do with moving data across the link.

I am a bit sceptical about this, are there no keep-alive packets or some such that count as data ? What about in the original negotriation to establish the GPRS connection ?

Incidentally, since running this bit of software GPRS *is* working !!

One other point -- page 118 of the manual seems to suggest that the green arrows indicate a CSD connection amd the picture above it is the GPRS connected indicator. Is this just wrong ?

My GPRS connection shows the green arrows symbol.
    I'm in Central London.

GPRS was slightly spotty with Orange last Saturday, and yesterday afternoon I got no connection.

I've got an O2 sim as well and an unlocked Treo 600. Not using it as I have tons of credit on Orange!

Is O2 GPRS more reliable?
    Try the http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html it certainly cured all my GPRS problems, even in London last Friday night.

Fascinated about unlocked Treo600, where did you get it and how much?
    Geoff
    Just ask Orange to unlock your phone -costs 20 plus all your line rental up front, which you get back at the end of the year.

Thanks to
    > Get TreoHelper from
    >
    >

for this solution.
    Geoff
    Hmm, this does work, but it drained my battery to the point where overnight I only had about 35% left from fully charged. I have switched it off again !
    Never noticed this myself, but I tend to always plug phone in when at my desks.
    Did you try the day / week settings? where you can disable phone between certain times.
    Geoff
  14.    #34  
    One thing I've noticed recently with Orange GPRS is that it quite often appears to connect ok but then nothing works because no DNS servers have been assigned.

You can check this after a connection has been made by using 'view log' from the Network preferences page (menu V) and scrolling to the bottom, if there are no IP numbers after 'DNS addresses' then the connection is all but useless.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Checked mine just now gave
    Local IP 172.23.230.29
    Gateway 172.23.230.0
    DNS 194.33.26.135
    DNS 194.35.131.194
    Had fake internet connection! that is arrows but no download possible

first soft reset
    Local IP 172.23.171.130
    Gateway 172.23.171.0
    DNS 194.33.26.135
    DNS 194.35.131.194
    bit more action but still no download

another soft reset
    Local IP 172.23.167.173
    Gateway 172.23.167.0
    DNS 194.33.26.135
    DNS 194.35.131.194
    - now on net perfect!
    Tedious !

Noticed that in central London last Saturday it was impossible to check mail only started working at Baldock on way back!
    I've had similar problems - sometimes I try to connect to GPRS and it gets as far as the "signing on" message but never reaches "established", ending with the message "Error: GPRS connection not available. Check your settings in Network Preferences and/or try again later (0x7143)", and can take multiple attempts to get connected.

Another problem I've been experiencing is that I'll be happily using GPRS, in say Verichat, then suddenly I'll wonder why my buddy's not replying only to notice I've lost all service reception, even for voice calls. This has happened a couple of times just sitting at my desk at work (London EC3), next to the work Orange mobile which still shows a normal service level. Only way to get the service back is to switch the wireless off then back on!

Reported it to Orange 156 data services about 10 days back and surprise surprise no call back (though I did get a reference so when I get round to it I'll blast them for not bothering)...
    PhiL
    ----
    Mulled over Smartphone but now a Treo 600 owner
    Originally posted by patmolloy

Hmm, this does work, but it drained my battery to the point where overnight I only had about 35% left from fully charged. I have switched it off again !
    You might try changing the treohelper settings to turn off if not connection and then retry a few times. It sounds like the treo is trying to maintain or reclaim a GPRS connection in a marginal area. The important settings are the 'phone off if no coverage' and the 'max tries' entries. I have that problem in my house, so I have set my treohelper settings like this:

(Note: this is the older version for the 270)

Enable Phone on Reset: checked
    Day/Week: NA NA
    Stay on (lid close) if net active: unchecked
    Auto-Off(lid close) in: 30 sec
    Phone Off if no coverage in: 10 min
    Max Tries: 4 every: 30 min
    Auto-OK Connection Progress Dlg: unchecked
    Auto-Login when phone turned on: checked
    TreoHelper helped somewhat last Saturday, but I still had to resort to a soft reset a couple of times.

Not sure if this is due to Orange's flaky GSM.

Is it worth switching to Vodafone for GPRS?

If I get a pay as you go Vodafone sim for 10, I can get GPRS for 7.35 per MB.

I think T-Mobile UK charge the same.

Will probably get a GPRS SIM card for all 4 networks for emergencies!

Anyone know of a nice slim SIM card and SD card holder that will take 5 SIM cards and 4 SD cards?
    I am still getting hopeless results with Orange GPRS. Have been speaking to Orange Customer Care who are not really clued up on it -- it appears there are 4 GPRS faults in Wimbledon at present, which they say is the problem - though I get the same results in central London and out in Guildford.

I get Error 0x7143, followed on a retry with 0x400b. Then I just get an endless loop on retry with "Connecting to Orange Internet" in the service connection progress box. A soft reboot will sometimes fix, but only about 50% -- multiple reboots needed. Then, once connected, a seemingly random disconnect and back round the loop again.

Is it me, the phone, Orange GPRS (in general) or (in Wimbledon) that is up the shoot ??

The helper app hasn't really resolved the problem.

Incidentally, why do I get the little green arrows indicating a GPRS connection, which according to my manual indicate a CSD connection ? Is that normal ?
  20.    #40  
    Originally posted by patmolloy
    Is it me, the phone, Orange GPRS (in general) or (in Wimbledon) that is up the shoot ??

The helper app hasn't really resolved the problem.

Incidentally, why do I get the little green arrows indicating a GPRS connection, which according to my manual indicate a CSD connection ? Is that normal ?
    The arrows thing with the manual is just a misprint, green arrows are GPRS.

However, I've found that if I leave the GPRS connection active, especially overnight, then although the green arrows still show the connection is actually dead. Very rarely do I manage to connect successfully on the first attempt, but, having said that, I do usually manage to get a working connection within 5 attempts.

For anyone else who uses the 'orangewap' APN, I think I've found a workaround for when the DNS doesn't get assigned. Connect instead with the 'orangeinternet' APN which doesn't seem to have a problem with DNS, then drop that connection straight away and when you connect back to 'orangewap' the DNS will be ok. Why this should work I don't know, it might of course just be a strange coincidence.

I guess we need to find some none-Treo Orange GPRS users to establish if there is something quirky with the Treo or whether it is the Orange service that is particularly flaky.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast