1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm interested in switching to WebOS as my main mobile platform (probably a TouchPad and a Veer). I played with the SDK and it really convinces me that WebOS is the right approach to mobile computing (and it's just the 1.4, I know ;-)).

I've just a question about carriers, because well, I dislike them. What's the relationship between HP/Palm and the carriers? And what kind of "modifications" or restrictions are they allowed to do? In term of installed/installable applications, the choice to allow a system upgrade or not?

And more importantly: is it/will it be possible to buy those devices directly from HP? The country I live in is not among those that are "supported" (Belgium). So I will probably have to buy an unlocked SFR.

Thanks,

Renaud
    You can currently buy a unlocked Pre 2 directly from HP. I think it is fairly safe to say that you will be able to buy a unlocked Veer from HP when it is available (Planned availability "this spring")

Unlike other mobile OSes HP openly embraces the homebrew community. Through Preware and WebOS internals there is a large amount of homebrew apps available.
  3.    #3  
    Ok, thank you for your answer. It seems that buying directly from HP a Pre2 is only possible in the US. But I guess that it will change with the new products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
    Ok, thank you for your answer. It seems that buying directly from HP a Pre2 is only possible in the US. But I guess that it will change with the new products.
    You can try to buy it from the UK store.
    Newness Developments apps:

Oops sorry I didnt realize I was looking at the world forum.