1.    #1  
    Hi everybody
    i did the stupid thing and activated my German Pre with my SIM from Austria
    i don't have paid apps and i know i can't change it
    i even tried the Palm support chat twice without any result
    one of his explanations was

20:03 Scott: There is no Unlocked Pre or Pre Plus for this reason.
    20:03 Scott: They all are locked GSM.
    so i can't complain

but i got an interesting fact from them
    even if i buy an unlocked Pre 2 in the UK (which i thought about)
    i still have to activate it in a supported country

20:05 : so what happens if i buy a new unlocked pre 2 in the UK
    20:05 Scott: And you should use the UK SIM card to activate before you take it to Austria.

i am sure we have some smart layers around here
    there has to be something wrong about that

the phone is sold "Now SIM-Free and unlocked" in the store
    and i still can't use it wherever i want to

i really love palm, but if we have to take drastic measures to get a great phone with paid apps everywhere, maybe thats what we should do

thx and bye
    What?
    On what grounds would you sue Palm?
    didn't they mention yesterday at dev day that they are working on a remedy to this problem?
    A lawyer you are not. Just because the app catalog isn't available to your area, doesn't mean you have grounds for a lawsuit. I don't have certain restaurant chains in my area either. If I am in those areas, I can eat there, but I can't sue them for not having one in my city.
    can you return the phone and try again with a replacement? Dunno if the warranty/exchange policy covers this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    A lawyer you are not. Just because the app catalog isn't available to your area, doesn't mean you have grounds for a lawsuit. I don't have certain restaurant chains in my area either. If I am in those areas, I can eat there, but I can't sue them for not having one in my city.
    I would so sue Wawa for not having any stores down here! lol
  8.    #8  
    sorry
    its not about not carrying the phone on sprint
    and you can't compare it to restaurants

they sell a phone and nobody tells you that you need an UK SIM to activate it

i know there is a faq about the restricions, but how can you sell something free, if it will only work under some circumstances

i kind of accept that the german o2 Pre should not be used outside germany
    but come on, it's an SIM-Free phone and you still can't use it everywhere?
    whats the point of that?

@patricksmangan
    i didn't hear about that, any details?
    I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before... seen a thread like this.

But no, you don't have any grounds. Palm does not have legal obligations to ensure gray market imports are supported.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    it's not a 'restriction' to sell a phone to you in one country and not give you a lie detector test to prove you won't try to use it in an unsupported country.

when I bought a ladder, they didn't make me listen to all the stuff I shouldn't do with it. And the person that replaced my roof didn't make me promise not to climb up there and jump off.

the restaurant analogy is a good one, especially with coupons. Burger king coupons in the local paper are generally not accepted by a burger king a few states over, or in another country.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 11/21/2010 at 02:26 PM.
    Well, in most countries, anyone can sue anyone for anything. This does not, however, mean that you have a case and will win anything.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  12.    #12  
    the point isn't just the unsupported country

i can't be right that "nobody" can change the associated country/carrier to my phone-profile
    once i activate it with a wrong SIM-card

the phone is crippled now
    i can't use the catalog and i can't even sell it to anybody

i thought iphones are restricted
    but with this policy palm wins the race
    Just because you don't like how something is done, doesn't mean you have grounds for a lawsuit.

Now, if Palm had falsely advertised, claiming they supported all countries or something, then you'd have grounds, but they never did that.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    "One nice thing: Palm and HP have heard loud and clear that nobody is really happy with*the geo-restricted nature of the App*catalog that occurs when you activate your device in a country that doesn't support paid apps. They're researching a solution, it's a priority, they say."

http://m.precentral.net/more-app-cat...re-coming-2011
    can the OP just return the phone?
    just use ipk fetcher 2 for the free apps and homebrew too to keep you going till this issue is resolved
  17.    #17  
    @Cantaffordit
    its too old for that

@palmdoc2005
    thats what i am doing