Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From Support : Palm Pre 2 Unlocked (UK) - Using App Catalog in specific regions

Using App Catalog in specific regions

Each phone is associated with a specific country. The country is assigned automatically the first time a Palm profile is created on the phone. The App Catalog apps you can access are based on the country associated with the phone.

For GSM phones that use a SIM card: The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider that issued the SIM card. For example, if the SIM card is issued by a wireless service provider in Germany, and you were in France when you created the phone’s first Palm profile, the phone is still associated with Germany.

For CDMA phones: The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider network you used to create the phone’s first Palm profile. For example, if your wireless service provider is in the United States but you were in Canada when you created the phone’s first Palm profile, the phone is associated with Canada and not the United States.

Devices associated with the following countries can use App Catalog to purchase applications and to download free applications:

Canada
    France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Spain
    United Kingdom
    United States

Devices associated with the following countries cannot use App Catalog to purchase applications, but they can download free applications:

Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    China
    Czech Republic
    Hong Kong
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Poland
    Switzerland

Devices associated with any country not listed above cannot use App Catalog to purchase apps or to download free apps at this time.
    (Edited - you cannot purchase apps in Mexico.)

(Edited - you can purchase apps in France.)

Seems that even Palm is confused by their own app catalogue eligibility matrix - they have at least two mistakes in it.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/15/2010 at 04:06 AM.
    Would inserting say, a dead AT&T SIM card get me access to the US App Catalog on first activation? Or would it need a live and active account? (I was thinking activate via SIM, then proceed with registration over wi-fi..)

Just a thought.
    Hi
    just a clarification. In Mexico we are not able to purchase any application (thanks Telcel!)
    cheers

jp
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Would inserting say, a dead AT&T SIM card get me access to the US App Catalog on first activation? Or would it need a live and active account? (I was thinking activate via SIM, then proceed with registration over wi-fi..)

Just a thought.
    From my experiments trying an AT&T sim in Australia (where there is no AT&T network) it does not work. From looking at the dbus messages during activation, it asks the modem for the MCC and MNC, and even goes as far as silently sending an SMS message back to Palm.

-- Rod
    *glass breaking*

'Til H/Palm brings it to Asia Pacific then.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by juanpaito View Post
    Hi
    just a clarification. In Mexico we are not able to purchase any application (thanks Telcel!)
    cheers

jp
    Updated the first post.

-- Rod
    French people have access to payed apps.
    based on the 2nd paragraph in post #1, does it mean I can purchase a regular UK O2 SIM card and activate the pre2 in unofficial country and still have access to paid and free apps? Sounds pretty confusing to me in this instance.
    Hopefully as the HP global marketing engine kicks in, we will see less and less Geo-Restrictions in the App catalog and in hardware distribution. For webOS and Palm to succeed we will need an international market with little difference in the user experience from country to country.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzilla View Post
    based on the 2nd paragraph in post #1, does it mean I can purchase a regular UK O2 SIM card and activate the pre2 in unofficial country and still have access to paid and free apps? Sounds pretty confusing to me in this instance.
    I personally would not risk it - note that the two countries in the example are official countries.

You only get one chance at this folks, and Palm has no liability to you if you get it wrong.

-- Rod
    wouldn't it be easier for palm to lift geo-restriction on free apps and apply it only to the paid apps?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    wouldn't it be easier for palm to lift geo-restriction on free apps and apply it only to the paid apps?
    I suspect that would be technically more difficult to implement.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I suspect that would be technically more difficult to implement.

-- Rod
    Naah.

if (activatedinofficialcountry){
    allow access to all apps}
    else {
    allow access only to free apps
    }
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    and... what's the logic behind restricting app sales only to certain countries?... to me, the more countries you include... the more chance for a profit!... why distribute crippled systems?
    Quote Originally Posted by juanpaito View Post
    and... what's the logic behind restricting app sales only to certain countries?... to me, the more countries you include... the more chance for a profit!... why distribute crippled systems?
    Up till now, HP palm has never issued any official statement why they treat some countries so badly.

I wonder if how we can:
    1) as for an official respond from hp palm on the reasons for geo-locking apps?
    2) get web editors who often get a chance to interview the top honchos in palm the same question?

Any clues how we can do that? Precentral editors any help?
    Hey, you missed one important aspect. It is not only that the Palm need to be activated in one of the supported countries. You also need a credit card from the country (or the group of countries) where the Palm was first activated.

I live in Spain and have mine activated apparently first time in the US. I have access to app catalog and paid apps, but I need a US, Canadian or Mexican credit card to be able to pay the apps. Wirecard does not work for me (it's a German card). Sob!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by naiki View Post
    Hey, you missed one important aspect. It is not only that the Palm need to be activated in one of the supported countries. You also need a credit card from the country (or the group of countries) where the Palm was first activated.

I live in Spain and have mine activated apparently first time in the US. I have access to app catalog and paid apps, but I need a US, Canadian or Mexican credit card to be able to pay the apps. Wirecard does not work for me (it's a German card). Sob!
    That has been covered many times in many threads on this forum.

Do a search for Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards and my username.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm afraid this is no longer a solution. This is the answer from simon giftcards:

Thank you for contacting Simon Customer Service,

Unfortunately, we no longer offer virtual giftcards or giftaccounts as of August 2010.

Also, you cannot place online orders for Simon Giftcards from outside the United States. Processing guidelines applicable to online orders do not permit us to process orders from outside the United States, even if the recipient is in the United States.

Customer Service is important to us and we appreciate your comments. I regret to inform you that Simon Visa Giftcards can no longer be used outside the U.S., including online transactions with foreign website domains. "Valid only in the U.S." is also now printed on the front of your card.

Thank you,
    Simon Customer Service

I've also checked other virtual credit cards providers, but monthly fees or other onerous conditions make them not a reasonable solution.

Besides, there is the fact that I don't really want complex solutions, but easy ones. I'm really getting tired. At the end of the day, I only want to pay for the apps I want, nothing else. Is that so difficult? Presumably I could find a workaround if I spend a great deal of time and effort, but that is not the point, is it? Palm is keen to break my track record in using Palm devices.
  19.    #19  
    PayPal someone in the US to order the www.simon.com card for you.

Your choice whether you want to make the effort or not.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I'm guessing this is:

a) A dumb question

b) Answer a million times before,

...but what are the chances of setting up an alternative app store? Preware seems to be 90-odd% there, except for paying for apps. I know Paypal is not the best solution for payments, but at least its global. Or would HPalm come down like a ton of bricks?

I think its half the problem few apps are on WebOS. Not only is the app store only in a few countries, but not all apps are available in all countries. Why bother developing for WebOS when you can distribute on the iPhone and Android in all countries that have been given access to those stores? More customers, more sales, more likely new apps on WebOS.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast