Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think the SDK license precludes selling apps outside the official catalog.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    There are already four reports of a not fully functioning app catalog:

- EU Pre 2, activated in Germany with a German O2 sim (http://forums.webosnation.com/showthread.php?p=2763191)
    - EU Pre 2, activated in France with a French SFR sim (http://forums.webosnation.com/showthread.php?p=2765098)
    - EU Pre 2, activated in Germany with a German O2o prepaid sim (http://forums.webosnation.com/showthread.php?p=2767769)
    - EU Pre 2, activated in Belgium with an Irish O2 sim (http://forums.webosnation.com/showthread.php?p=2762692)

The first two reports are unexpected, since Germany and France are official countries. The third report mentions an sms that was not sent during activation. The fourth report confirms what was said in the respective thread.
    Last edited by schraal; 11/20/2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: added new report (mine unfortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by naiki View Post
    Hey, you missed one important aspect. It is not only that the Palm need to be activated in one of the supported countries. You also need a credit card from the country (or the group of countries) where the Palm was first activated.

I live in Spain and have mine activated apparently first time in the US. I have access to app catalog and paid apps, but I need a US, Canadian or Mexican credit card to be able to pay the apps. Wirecard does not work for me (it's a German card). Sob!
    I'm surprised the accect Mexican Credit Cards, considering that Mexico does not have access to paid apps!
    Quote Originally Posted by juanpaito View Post
    Hi
    just a clarification. In Mexico we are not able to purchase any application (thanks Telcel!)
    cheers

jp
    I am in mexico and have installed 1.4.5 in my pre. Now I am able to purchase apps thought preware. So we an unlocked 2.0 device we can be able to have access to paid apps
    Quote Originally Posted by juanpaito View Post
    I'm surprised the accect Mexican Credit Cards, considering that Mexico does not have access to paid apps!
    issue in mexico is telcel hasn't released 1.4.5 officially and we are stuck in 1.4 without paid apps. Telcel is the problem not mexica. Credit cards

I doctored my pre with 1.4.5 unofficialy and now have access to paid apps
    Hi,

Does anyone have the official explanation / reasoning behind geo-locking the App-Catalog ? And if there is hope, in near future for folks on ROW-carriers to make better use of the Palm WebOS phones ? I mean, what good is a smartphone on which you cannot install apps. I have a gifted Palm Pre-Plus (originally from O2 -- but now unlocked for ROW) being used in India. Looks like most of the desirable / useful apps from Precentral.net/apps have already migrated to App Catalog and thus no longer available to me (ROW)... and not sure what good did installing Preware on phone do, bcoz via it, you are again stuck as it launches App-Catalog which fails for me.

So effectively ROW users are limited to limited set of home-brews, that are side-loaded, some of which will either expire shortly. Would like to know if there is hope in future.

cheers,
    BD
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
    Does anyone have the official explanation / reasoning behind geo-locking the App-Catalog ?
    As far as I know, Palm has never given an official reason for it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I think the SDK license precludes selling apps outside the official catalog.
    Well, I know that at least Chapura and Classic sort of sell it outside the apps store. That is, I go to their website and paid there and then get my activation via palm pre.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    Well, I know that at least Chapura and Classic sort of sell it outside the apps store. That is, I go to their website and paid there and then get my activation via palm pre.
    They distribute that app through the official app store. In-app payments or activations are a different matter.

My general rule of thumb is: "Never get between a lawyer and money".

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    My phone was activated in Sweden with a Swedish SIM-card. I have never had aces to the app catalogue, however today when I checked it appears that I have acces. I have no idea if this is due to a recent change or the fact that I am in Germany at the moment.

i hope it is the first because that would be awesome. One thing speaks for this, and that is that I can only access free apps and all apps I can see appears to be thise released for all countries.

it is a nice change nonetheless :-)
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbay View Post
    My phone was activated in Sweden with a Swedish SIM-card. I have never had aces to the app catalogue, however today when I checked it appears that I have acces. I have no idea if this is due to a recent change or the fact that I am in Germany at the moment.

i hope it is the first because that would be awesome. One thing speaks for this, and that is that I can only access free apps and all apps I can see appears to be thise released for all countries.

it is a nice change nonetheless :-)
    Same here just 918 apps and only the free ones but it's a start :-)
    i have an unlocked german pre in Trinidad &Tobago and my hopes just so went up but unfortunately same old no access to the free catalog.it is probably close to a year now since they closed i up
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    I tried to buy classic from MotionApps directly and they do not sell. Could you explain how you managed to get it out side the app. cat.?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Devices associated with the following countries can use App Catalog to purchase applications and to download free applications:

Canada
    France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Spain
    United Kingdom
    United States
    Have all this countries the same app catalog or is there a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewinso View Post
    I tried to buy classic from MotionApps directly and they do not sell. Could you explain how you managed to get it out side the app. cat.?
    Oh, forgot to mention I download the classic apps when WebOS was 1.3.x when apps catalog was in BETA. I guess now, unless you have paid apps in your phone, we just have to wait on HP to get more countries to have paid apps to install. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by naiki View Post
    Hey, you missed one important aspect. It is not only that the Palm need to be activated in one of the supported countries. You also need a credit card from the country (or the group of countries) where the Palm was first activated.

I live in Spain and have mine activated apparently first time in the US. I have access to app catalog and paid apps, but I need a US, Canadian or Mexican credit card to be able to pay the apps. Wirecard does not work for me (it's a German card). Sob!
    I live in Chile, use ATT Pre+, and I cannot pay because I need a US, Canadian or Mexican credit card... It would be fine to be able to pay with PayPal..!!

So I just use free Apps... and some App that some gentle dev allow me to use (thanks for understanding this limitations)...
    Avigo, Palm V, T, TE, T3, TX, Kyocera 7135, Centro, Pre minus, Pre Plus, PRE Ver, PRE 3
  17.    #37  
    You can get someone you trust in the US to purchase a Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards gift card and tell you the numbers.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    We are able to order credit cards with other currencies but I am not sure if this would work.

Has anyone tried to register a non-US credit card having USD currency with the App Catalogue?
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    We are able to order credit cards with other currencies but I am not sure if this would work.

Has anyone tried to register a non-US credit card having USD currency with the App Catalogue?
    The card must have a registered billing address in the officially supported countries for that region (US or EU).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    My App Cat is empty here in Sweden, anyone else got that problem?
    It used to have a thousand free apps, I haven't checked it in a while so not sure when they all vanished but it worked a week or two ago.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast