1.    #1  
    Sadly, Dan Hesse has said Sprint plans to eventually shut down the Iden (NEXTEL) network. Just want to know what peoples thoughts where regarding this and Nextel and Iden in general.

What do you think of IDEN NEXTEL network and its infamous DirectConnect (walkie talkie) feature?

(forecasting a lot of arguments)

Hesse: Sprint eventually will shut down iDEN - FierceWireless
    WHY? TONS of businesses use the iDEN network...

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  3.    #3  
    I don't know; the oddest thing I remember when Dan Hesse became CEO he was saying that Sprint neglected Iden and Nextel, and that he wanted to reinvigorate this asset. Sprint really screwed up the one differentiator that they had from all other wireless providers.
    I can say I switched from the nextel side to the sprint side, had a nextel phone I tired to use on vacation in Montana, it showed it had full service but would not connect. I called Sprint and they said if I had a Sprint phone it would have connected.

Went back again this summer, with my Pre and it connected fine without roaming.

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    push to talk was so kool when it initially came out on NEXTEL i remember i went to buy the phone they told me i need to put down $500...to which i said screw that.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I can't stand PTT! Actually, I guess it is more accurate to say that I can't stand the users of PTT that think they are the only person on the planet (except the person on the other end for the moment).
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    I use PTT for work and although a good idea....SUPER FRUSTRATING a lot of the time because I can't make out what the other guy is saying clearly. Half the time I just say 'ya' to whatever it is they say, you can only get them to repeat so many times... I hope they get rid of it here too so I don't have to deal with it anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I use PTT for work and although a good idea....SUPER FRUSTRATING a lot of the time because I can't make out what the other guy is saying clearly. Half the time I just say 'ya' to whatever it is they say, you can only get them to repeat so many times... I hope they get rid of it here too so I don't have to deal with it anymore
    Sounds like you just need to teach some radio etiquette, pronounce and speak clearly at a nominal rate.

9.    #9  
    Yeah I always heard people fine, they just shouldn't be speaking so close to the mic. And I will admit there are some people that use it out loud and that has put a bad name for the rest. If I was in a public place I would put the conversation on the ear speaker, or thru bluetooth headset.

If Nextel goes bye bye I big decrease in productivity; how else can communicate something to a lot of people all at once in less than a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Sadly, Dan Hesse has said Sprint plans to eventually shut down the Iden (NEXTEL) network. Just want to know what peoples thoughts where regarding this and Nextel and Iden in general.

What do you think of IDEN NEXTEL network and its infamous DirectConnect (walkie talkie) feature?

(forecasting a lot of arguments)

Hesse: Sprint eventually will shut down iDEN - FierceWireless
    what? so what happens to boost mobile then? this is stupid move by sprint. i knew something was up when boost started offering cdma phones.