Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    So, I managed to get an O2 UK palm pre plus.

Unfortunately, it seems it has been 'factory reset' even though the item was listed as 'used'.
    So, that probably means no paid apps then again, how am I gonna get a UK credit card is beyond me.

I am currently in an 'unsupported' country, Singapore so that means no free apps at the moment either. But since it can be 'factory reset' I suppose I'll just do that when I get to Australia for studies next year so I can access the free apps.

In the mean time, I want to use the phone, so, I turn on the phone and am presented with this:

://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Fatfool/PrePlus2.jpg
    ://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Fatfool/PrePlus1.jpg
    (darn 10 post count thingy, add http in front of the link)

So erm, what should I do next?
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $Australia$ $is$ $also$ $an$ &$quot$;$unsupported$&$quot$; $country$.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $Australia$ $is$ $also$ $an$ &$quot$;$unsupported$&$quot$; $country$.
    yes, but:

Hello and welcome to the forums;

Each phone is associated with a specific country. The country is assigned automatically the first time a Palm profile is created on the phone. The App Catalog apps you can access are based on the country associated with the phone.

Phones associated with the following countries or regions can use App Catalog to purchase apps and to download free apps:
    Canada, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States

Phones associated with the following countries or regions can use App Catalog to download free apps:
    Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, Czech Republic, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Switzerland

Hope this helps,
    TreoAide
    Thanks, didn't know that but can't help you ;-(
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Okay,

but I need some help with the activation. How's it done? I presume you have a pre too?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Okay,

but I need some help with the activation. How's it done? I presume you have a pre too?
    Have you tried English/US? You may get an empty app catalog, but at least it should let you activate... I really can't help, but I think those are only regional settings

At the next step you'll create a Palm profile.. good luck with that
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    The O2 Pre are initially locked. Has it been unlocked?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Have you tried English/US? You may get an empty app catalog, but at least it should let you activate... I really can't help, but I think those are only regional settings

At the next step you'll create a Palm profile.. good luck with that
    I see. okay I'll try that.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The O2 Pre are initially locked. Has it been unlocked?
    Well, it hasn't been unlocked but the nextgenserver provides a service for that right?

I just gotta get to that green screen with the keypad prompting me to enter in the unlock code?

but can activation be performed so that I can get to that screen and then use nextgenserver to unlock it?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Oh dang! well, today I've tried it and it seemed to activate nearly instantly. Immediately, it asked for the unlock code which was pretty strange. So I turned it off and on again and this time, it prompted me for a profile. Now, this will sound silly but i don't actually have a 3G service on my SIM right now so I couldn't create a profile. Gotta borrow someone's card first.

what happens next?

Do I get put sent to the unlock screen or will I be able to take it to developer mode as requested?
    Last edited by Fatfool; 10/24/2010 at 05:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    Oh dang! well, today I've tried it and it seemed to activate nearly instantly. Immediately, it asked for the unlock code which was pretty strange. So I turned it off and on again and this time, it prompted me for a profile. Now, this will sound silly but i don't actually have a 3G service on my SIM right now so I couldn't create a profile. Gotta borrow someone's card first.

what happens next?

Do I get put sent to the unlock screen or will I be able to take it to developer mode as requested?
    I was reading about the whole unlocking process. Check the following topic, way useful:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...equencies.html

But, I got a question. I am getting an unlocked Pre which wasn't activated before. I will be in the Middle East, so no official carrier or country for that matters. Can I activate it anyways?

If I can, what are the shortcomings of doing so in an official/unsupported country?

Regards,
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Now that's a question. I believe I've seen a list of carrier in countries where activation and updates are performed even if the pre is not sold there.

but this paragraph is interesting:

Activation location and App Catalog mechanics:
    Activate your Pre for the very first time in an official launch country or have it activated there by the seller before shipping. This will get you access to the paid apps in the App Catalog. Please note there is no second first time, not even after a full erase or a webOS Doctor. Don't bother trying, don't ask.
    Please note incorrect language selection for your model at first activation may result in an incomplete App Catalog. To remedy this, you need to either run a Full Erase of webOS Doctor and create an entirely new Palm Profile using language settings that match the origin of the device.
    So, it seems despite my unit requestion for language settings, it's actually been activated in the UK. I'll know once I get in....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    Now that's a question. I believe I've seen a list of carrier in countries where activation and updates are performed even if the pre is not sold there.

but this paragraph is interesting:

So, it seems despite my unit requestion for language settings, it's actually been activated in the UK. I'll know once I get in....
    I am not going to act like I know everything. But, I guess that once you wipe everything using webOS Doctor, the profile is cleared. Therefore, once you run it again, you are requiered to create a new profile but not to activate the cellphone again.

Just my two cents.

Do you have any reference to the list?
    Since yours was already activated in UK, then my question is invalid. I asked because we are on the same boat , now it turned to be that we are not on the same boat anymore.

Regards,
    If you don't have a data connection, you can try to use metadoctor to modify the original webos doctor to skip the profile screen, and use it (you could then create a wifi connection and activate over there), or, as you say, borrow a SIM with data connection

If it was activated before, you'll get the catalog from which it was activated first. If it was never activated, you'll get ... an catalog with only free apps (in fact I think you'll get only a handful of apps), but if it keeps asking for an unlock code, I think it's the network unlock code, and it was sent to you locked for O2, so, you'll have to use nextgenserver service. I really don't know if the unlock screen appears before or after you create the profile :S

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    If you don't have a data connection, you can try to use metadoctor to modify the original webos doctor to skip the profile screen, and use it (you could then create a wifi connection and activate over there), or, as you say, borrow a SIM with data connection

If it was activated before, you'll get the catalog from which it was activated first. If it was never activated, you'll get ... an catalog with only free apps (in fact I think you'll get only a handful of apps), but if it keeps asking for an unlock code, I think it's the network unlock code, and it was sent to you locked for O2, so, you'll have to use nextgenserver service. I really don't know if the unlock screen appears before or after you create the profile :S
    So basically, I can activate from any country; but, there will be some restrictions on the AppCatalog?

I, also, heard that activating from some countries might also remove the free apps catalog ... is that true?

Regards,
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    So basically, I can activate from any country; but, there will be some restrictions on the AppCatalog?

I, also, heard that activating from some countries might also remove the free apps catalog ... is that true?

Regards,
    From what I know, if the Pre is running an unsupported webOS version, you'll only see the apps that are marked as "any webOS version" when uploaded to the catalog (free only), but I really don't know what happens with a supported webOS version activated on an unsupported country :S

And I don't remember reading anything about that either... *sigh*

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    I am not going to act like I know everything. But, I guess that once you wipe everything using webOS Doctor, the profile is cleared. Therefore, once you run it again, you are requiered to create a new profile but not to activate the cellphone again.

Just my two cents.

Do you have any reference to the list?
    Since yours was already activated in UK, then my question is invalid. I asked because we are on the same boat , now it turned to be that we are not on the same boat anymore.

Regards,
    Here you go:

://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Software/I-have-a-Palm-Pre-in-Italy/m-p/307013
    (http in front)
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

Well, the unlock screen appeared for the first time before I was even requested for a profile (I chose english, UK as well, not only is it a UK phone but I actually use UK English here.) . I shut the phone off, turned it on again and then it asked me to create a profile.

no, I type in all my info and try to create the profile but of course, it didn't go through without a data connection.

What I'm interested in is after the profile. I'll go get such a data enabled SIM somehow, not quite ready to use the metadoctor. do I get to the err 'home screen'? or the unlock screen? if so, how do I enable developer mode for the nextgenserver. Thanks for the help though
    You can bypass activation with a tool from palm's site. Then connect to wifi, install preware, then install advanced configuration for app launcher from preware. Then you will see the first use app. Run that and create a palm profile. This whole procedure should take you 15-20 minutes.
    I'm writing now from a pre I activated that way with no service.
    If you need help with any of the steps just ask.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast