Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Hi All!

Hopefully in a day's time I'll own my first Pre Unfortunately the one I'm buying is a German Pre, but had been activated in Australia, so it only has access to the free part of the app catalog.

My noob question is that can a purchase made on a Pre that has full access to the App Catalog be transferred to another Pre? I'm not advocating piracy at all, but a possible plan is to buy a cheap s/h Sprint Pre that has been activated in the US, buy apps through that via wifi, then transfer them to my everyday Pre. Is that at all possible? Or should I shelve that pipe dream?

I'm in Perth, Western Australia btw. Would be interesting to know if there are any other Pre users on this side of the rabbit proof fence

Cheers

Rod!
    Hi lavo96, and Welcome to the P|C forums!

A quick answer to you question - no.
    Purchases made in the App catalog are not tied to the device, but the to the Palm Profile of the person who made the purchase. If I were to enter my profile into a new device, all my settings and purchases would install onto that device. If you are getting a used unit, any apps and settings from the previous user will be wiped as they will follow that previous user's account.

Enjoy your new Pre!!
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    That solves that little dilemma Thank you!

I can't wait to start using it. I think what is available in just Homebrew is awesome anyway!
    https: // ps.palmws.com / palmcsext / console / pages / AcctMgmtPage.xhtml

I just went there and got this idea that may/may not help. If say you wish to abandon your whole profile, aka gift the phone an apps to someone, you can login to your palm profile above and change both the name and email address.

You WILL need to remove your contacts and other data manually form the phone and make sure it syncs up to Palm once done. Otherwise, this may be a good way to hand it over to someone you trust (in case you leave any bits o data around.) This should maintain your palm profile ID number that all your apps are linked to.

You could do a 'webosdoctor' to clean out the phone. That would help but you need to wipe the data in your apps too, unlink you google/facebook accounts and stuff. And remove the CC card and change the profile password. Also as usual if you use homebrew apps, a webosdoctor will wipe them off too.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmason View Post
    https: // ps.palmws.com / palmcsext / console / pages / AcctMgmtPage.xhtml

I just went there and got this idea that may/may not help. If say you wish to abandon your whole profile, aka gift the phone an apps to someone, you can login to your palm profile above and change both the name and email address.

You WILL need to remove your contacts and other data manually form the phone and make sure it syncs up to Palm once done. Otherwise, this may be a good way to hand it over to someone you trust (in case you leave any bits o data around.) This should maintain your palm profile ID number that all your apps are linked to.

You could do a 'webosdoctor' to clean out the phone. That would help but you need to wipe the data in your apps too, unlink you google/facebook accounts and stuff. And remove the CC card and change the profile password. Also as usual if you use homebrew apps, a webosdoctor will wipe them off too.
    My understanding is that unless you use an OLD doc (prior to them preserving USB) or use 2.0.1, or go back from 2.1 to 1.4.5 a docotor will not typically remove anything except the OS files and replace the same. This does not remove the data these apps have - I can confirm that it appears to work this way since I did this recently on my old phone which was being replaced.

In my case I had to use Secure Full Erase as well as the Doc to remove everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    My understanding is that unless you use an OLD doc (prior to them preserving USB) or use 2.0.1, or go back from 2.1 to 1.4.5 a docotor will not typically remove anything except the OS files and replace the same. This does not remove the data these apps have - I can confirm that it appears to work this way since I did this recently on my old phone which was being replaced.

In my case I had to use Secure Full Erase as well as the Doc to remove everything else.
    Of course, if you dare to login to that same profile on another device, the next time the original device connects to Internet and finds out, it will wipe out itself

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg