Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Have several questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    I will be spending at least 6 months and maybe a year or longer working in Guadalajara, in Jalisco, Mexico.
    I'd like to get a PRE with good service and decent rates.
    My Mexican friends in Guadalajara seem to think that TelCel offers the best coverage - but also has higher prices. They recommend iusacell for lower prices.

BUT they all have either Blackberries or iPhones - none of them have Pre's!

So - if there are some Pre users - I need help & advice.

Which company gives better Pre service?

Also - the prices for new Pre's - which either Telcel or iusacell charge - seem incredibly high....not to say exorbitant. Much much higher than any of the American carriers - who are practically giving Pre's away.

So - is there any way to actually get a Pre for a reasonable price?
    OR - if that's not possible - is there a market for used Pre's in Mexico?

And - will unlocked Pre's work with either Telcel or iusacell - or is that such a complicated nightmare that it's not even worth it?

Thanks for any help.

Y por los que no hablan ingles tan bien - bueno, estoy buscando ayuda y avisos en seleccionando la mejor compania celular en Guadalajara - donde voy a estar por la mayoria del ano proximo - con planes buenos para un PRE. Seria Telcel como dicen muchos? O iusacell - que tiene la reputacion de ofrecer planes mas baratos? Ademas - me parece que los precios de un equipo/telefono PRE nuevo, que ofrecen Telcel y iusacell, son exorbitantes por comparacion a los precios norteamericanos actuales - pues, hay manera o modo o truco para conseguirse un nuevo telefono PRE que funcionara en Mexico con o sea telcel o sea iusacell....por un precio 'razonable'?

Y - que piensan de la idea de conseguirme un Pre "unlocked" aqui y pues tentar de hacerlo funcionar con uno de los planes telcel o iusacell?

Muchisimas gracias por todo aviso, comentario o sugestion!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    I think Telcel is the only official Palm carrier in Mexico. Iusacell only reprograms Sprint units.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I think Telcel is the only official Palm carrier in Mexico. Iusacell only reprograms Sprint units.
    Does that mean that if I HAD an extra Sprint PRE....Iusacell could reprogram it???

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Not sure how things work in Mexico...

Try This: http://forums.precentral.net/search....rchid=14128426
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've been to Guadalajara with my pre (sprint reprogramed to iusacell) coverage in the city is great, the road to chapala lowers 3g to 1x but once there it gets to 3g again, if you're staying in the city all the time you wont have problems with iusacell, if you plan to go to really small towns then buy it with telcel.
    Telcel is the only carrier that sells the pre, but iusacell can use any cdma pre, even the bad esn from the US sold at ebay(just make sure you're not buying something stolen),but at the service center theyll only program the voice you have to program the data (as its not officialy supported) its not really hard to program the data (PM if you need the steps).
    the pre should be free or almost, with telcel in an 18 month contract (and an expensive ETF) so again it would be best to bring your own unlocked pre
    And about the updates, telcel allways delays the updates (except for the iphone and nokias) the pre on telcel is still at 1.4.0 without most paid apps, with a sprint pre in iusacell you get updates as soon as they hit sprint but you have to reprogram the phone each update since they usually update the prl as well
    Last edited by moris; 09/11/2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: telcel version
    hi
    this post is in espanish, i hope you konw enough spanish for help me

yo compré una Pixi Plus de At&t y la liberé en telcel (sistema pre pago) todo funciona excelente menos el App Catalog.

hay alguna forma de poder activar la página de app catalog u otra forma de poder instalar las aplicaiones oficiales de palm?

Si vas a estar en guadalajara te conviene el iusacell, checa la pagina de poderpda.com y ahi hay info de como configurar un Palm Pre de sprint en iusacell que es CDMA.
    En telcel es muy caro.

If you'll be in guadalajara for you the Iusacell poderpda.com check out the page and there is info on how to set up a sprint Palm Pre Iusacell's CDMA.
    In telcel is very expensive.

Sorry my bad english, is translate by google.
    Hola , gracias por este post, and to the forum, tengo una pree y una veer. llame a iusacell par activar la pree y me dieron unos numeros, yo le di el imei , ahora,despues de usar el webosdoctor ya aparece como international, ya no se conecta a sprint, whats next???